New field turf for 2013

Another pic, hot off the presses:

JKpNaSy.jpg

Finally! It's so nice to see that they brought this back. Help me out Knapp or someone who might know... isn't the last time it said "Tom Osborne Field" was during Solich's first season in 1998? Either way that has to become a permanent fixture for Nebraska's fields going forward.

JKpNaSy.jpg

Finally! It's so nice to see that they brought this back. Help me out Knapp or someone who might know... isn't the last time it said "Tom Osborne Field" was during Solich's first season in 1998? Either way that has to become a permanent fixture for Nebraska's fields going forward.

According to Huskers.com, it was only on there for that one year. Then Osborne had it taken off so as not to overshadow Solich.

I like the inclusion, but wish they would have used his actual signature, I think that would have looked a lot better and they could have done it opposite the B1G logos on the actual field of play.

I would have liked the signature as well. But I suppose the lettering they chose is more consistent with other lettering on the field.

According to Huskers.com, it was only on there for that one year. Then Osborne had it taken off so as not to overshadow Solich.

Yep, that was the last year we had the old astroturf, too. After Osborne retired, they quickly named the field in honor of him, but there was some controversy over whether or not naming the field would overshadow the name of the stadium. Not only was Osborne too humble to be comfortable with his name on the field, but he wanted to make sure everyone still referred to the place as Memorial Stadium in honor of fallen soldiers.

So it was on there only for the 1998 season, and in 1999, we got the first Field Turf, and they never put "Tom Osborne Field" back on it until now.