Solich Bonus

So?

Here's what you said:

So? In the end Bo still hasn't won anything and neither did Callahan.

Here's what I said:

Bo has actually won 49 games soooo...

One of these is true and one is false.

I was never talking about wins and losses. you know that.

You were talking about all things. "Any" thing.

The Solich firing comes up because it's the primary defense to any talk of a Pelini firing.

It's the only defense needed at this point. Unless Bo (or any other future coach) crashes and burns, you can't fire him. Frank needed fired after 2002, or he needed another year to hang himself. The way NU did it made us toxic, which is why we ended up going so far down the list to find a coach.

The Solich firing comes up because it's the primary defense to any talk of a Pelini firing.

It's the only defense needed at this point. Unless Bo (or any other future coach) crashes and burns, you can't fire him. Frank needed fired after 2002, or he needed another year to hang himself. The way NU did it made us toxic, which is why we ended up going so far down the list to find a coach.

Bingo!

I think running a clean program also counts. If Bo had character issues, NCAA violations or other off-field issues he would be gone. Nine wins, a clean program and a high graduation rate provides job security.

Debatable whether Solich hangs himself given another season but totally agree that Pedey has to nut-up and can Solich after the crappy '02 season or get behind the guy after '03. Canning Solich after a significant improvement incited the coaching community, as you said we became toxic. Should've at-least given Solich the bowl. If he loses Pedey has a chance for a firing that isn't quite so surprising and controversial. With a win Pedey just backs-off and gives the old "vote of confidence", timing isn't right.

If anyone here thinks that, were he not fired in 03, that Solich would still be coaching at NU today then I have a bridge to sell you.

I think he would have at the very least coached quite a few years longer. He had Pelini as his defensive coordinator and I think there would have been more improvement in the next season. Once the hypothetical-Pelini left then maybe Solich would have been gone shortly after if the defense sucked again.

If anyone here thinks that, were he not fired in 03, that Solich would still be coaching at NU today then I have a bridge to sell you.

He would've been given a few more years and if his new dc and oc failed him i would almost guarantee you that Pelini wouldn't be the coach at Nebraska.

He would've been given a few more years and if his new dc and oc failed him i would almost guarantee you that Pelini wouldn't be the coach at Nebraska.

Then NU is:

Without Suh, Amukamara, Dennard, Hagg, Burkhead, Helu, Taylor, and the current recruiting class.

It's been a long recovery, trust that I know this, but we're better off now.

Bottom line: Solich didnt have to spend his first 5 years "fixing sh#t".

Neither did Bo. Most of that was obviously done during the 2008 season. Very little of it carried over into 2009, and almost none of it existed in 2010. The 2008 season and definitely the 2009 season proved Callahan wasn't very far off from what Bo is currently stuck on. If it took him 5 years to fix some cultural issues, invite some past players to the games and rehang some pictures then we're definitely f'd going forward.

Here's a question for everyone. Hypothetically..had we retained Callahan, he fired Coz, then proceeded to post the exact same win/loss records and achieve the same as Bo has over the last 5 years...would he still be here? Or would we be saying...he's had 9 years, this isn't happening. Because I'm not seeing a huge difference between 6 years, an 9 years in the life of a head coach. This is a pivotal year for Bo. End with another 9 win season, and not compete for the CC (we didn't compete last year either)...I just can't see him being here in 2014.

I make few comments here, but this one I couldn't let go. Your hypothetical is a fairy tale, Callahan wasn't and X and O coach. a fool to change to the west coast offense with the current talent he had. Have you lost your ability to evaluate a situation/team/season? Your question/comment shows the intellect of a 7 yr old. Open your eyes and your mind and it would be obvious that Callahan didn't have a clue even as an NFL head coach. Callahan could recruit..... (the extra periods indicate the end of BC's talent) Pelini could go 7/5 and he won't be fired. A new AD with one yr under his belt on the new job, isn't going to fire a coach with one so so yr out of six.

Let's put things in perspective. Changing offense/defense scheme, Changing conferences after 3 yrs, need to recruit differently for B1G, current players on roster at time of conference change were recruited to play in B12. Yeah, is all football, however IMHO, the B1G is a superior conference is every aspect. i consider Pelini's first two seasons in the B1G successful. The first year, he played a bowl game every week, the second yr he had some familiarity with the conference teams, but it was only the second season in the B1G, with arguably the toughest in conference schedule among the top 5 teams, yet finished with at least 9 wins. Give the staff credit for what they have accomplished. Changing conferences is a difficult task, just ask West Virginia, or TCU. West Virginia was picked by some to win the B12 in their 1st season (much like Nebraska was) and experienced the same fate as Nebraska did in the B1G. It's difficult to change conferences, play new opponents weekly and still win at least 9 or ten games is a decent accomplishment.

Does Pelini need to do better? Absolutely!!!! He's fixed his offense, no it's time for him to go back and get his defense playing like they should. I for one think this season could be very special, with all the talent on offense, and speed and talent (although young) on defense. Do you recall Peini's 1st season in Nebraska, did a great job with a defense stunk up the place the yr before, came in after callahan and did the same again. He needed to spend time on the offense to get the right coaches and players in place to accomplish his goals, he's got the offense going, now with his full attention back to the defense, I see great things, and I don't usually drink much kool-aid, and I'm not drinking it now. Just a fan of over 50 years seeing the Big Red Machine getting turned around and heading back to top ten finishes and playoff contender. GBR

Bo has spent 5 years fixing the intangible things this program requires to be elite. The intangible things that we as fans do not really grasp. The intagible things that Osborne took 20+ years to build that allowed us to be an unstoppable machine. The intangible things that Frank Solich exclusively lived off of for 4 years. The intangible things that Pedersen and Callahan completely burned to the ground in 4 years. Bo aint messin around anymore. Recruiting has showed this in the most recent years. He has everything in place finally. He is settle in a new conference. This team and staff is absolutely 100% HIS guys. Now it's time to sit back and watch the show.

Or so I've been told. chuckleshuffle

• Fire 2

Bo has spent 5 years fixing the intangible things this program requires to be elite. The intangible things that we as fans do not really grasp. The intagible things that Osborne took 20+ years to build that allowed us to be an unstoppable machine. The intangible things that Frank Solich exclusively lived off of for 4 years. The intangible things that Pedersen and Callahan completely burned to the ground in 4 years. Bo aint messin around anymore. Recruiting has showed this in the most recent years. He has everything in place finally. He is settle in a new conference. This team and staff is absolutely 100% HIS guys. Now it's time to sit back and watch the show.

Or so I've been told. chuckleshuffle

I like the way you think.