Who wins a footrace...Crouch or Martinez?

Who wins a footrace....Crouch or Martinez?  

111 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think eric crouch would win a foot race, absolutely out juke martinez in a open field play, and MOST importantly to me Crouch would completely run through a defender. I sure miss the days of crouch and frost running out and throwing blocks or bulling through a defender.

Crouch and Martinez (his freshman year) basically have/had the same 40 yard dash. In theory, these guys would be neck and neck for the first 40 yards, but the last 10 I would give to Martinez (according to Martinez's RSF year). If it was Crouch his senior year, and Martinez now, I would give it to Crouch. Last year you could see Taylor get slower on longer runs. I stated this about a month ago too, but the game that he looked 100% on and didn't show signs of injury, was CCG. I think he has lost some of his explosiveness. I am not sure if its because he isn't physically the same, or he hasn't healed 100% mentally.

Martinez takes too long to get going. Crouch was running full speed from the get go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21mYRtUmc8k

Martinez hits 75% of his top speed in the first three steps. That's 15 mph in three steps, topping out at 20 mph. Dude, it's SCIENCE!

that doesn't tell me anything. It doesn't tell me the other players speeds. It compares another sport but not another player.

It only doesn't tell you anything because you're being purposely obtuse. The fact that ESPN's Sport Science did a feature on him shows that the numbers they're discussing are impressive and better than the vast majority of other players.

Martinez takes too long to get going. Crouch was running full speed from the get go.

Martinez hits 75% of his top speed in the first three steps. That's 15 mph in three steps, topping out at 20 mph. Dude, it's SCIENCE!

that doesn't tell me anything. It doesn't tell me the other players speeds. It compares another sport but not another player.

It only doesn't tell you anything because you're being purposely obtuse. The fact that ESPN's Sport Science did a feature on him shows that the numbers they're discussing are impressive and better than the vast majority of other players.

consider that ESPN made it almost makes it irrelevant. But since it makes no comparison to other players the numbers aren't impressive cause they just throw a bunch of numbers out. Now if they compared him to other players then we get a better idea of how fast Martinez is.

• Fire 1

I voted Crouch. That dude was faaaaaaast

Taylor is too, but speaking game wise, I remember crouch splitting defenders and shaking dudes out of their jocks; then still running 55 yards untouched.

Although Taylor's first few steps are something to behold. I recall a 3rd and 19 against scramble texass when he just burst up the middle and poof--he was up the middle for a first.

But watch that Alamo bowl against northwestern, crouch looked like he was in fast motion compared to everyone else.

consider that ESPN made it almost makes it irrelevant. But since it makes no comparison to other players the numbers aren't impressive cause they just throw a bunch of numbers out. Now if they compared him to other players then we get a better idea of how fast Martinez is.

Considering world class sprinters top out at anywhere from 27-30 mph, the fact that that's all they train for, and that Taylor is on turf with gear on not a track with track shoes, I'd say his 20mph is a pretty impressive top speed. But again that's not a comparison to another football player.

After a short search the closes I could find for you is that Taylor (20.5mph) is slower than Michael Vick (21.63mph) and Adrian Peterson (21.60mph).

And btw it does give the other players speed you just have to do a little math, the guy chasing Martinez is running roughly 18.5mph.

wut

Yur dumb.

• Fire 1

Really my point was to refute your statement that Martinez takes too long to get going. There are some data for this in the fields of biomechanics, applied sports science, and exercise physiology, so I can get back to you later with some more information. For now, here are some numbers for you to put Martinez's speed into context.

Usain Bolts holds the 100-m world record at 9.58 sec. That's 10.438 meters/sec or 34.25 feet/sec. Multiply this times 60 = 2,055 ft/min, multiplied by 60 minutes in an hour = 123,288 ft/hr divide this by 5280 ft/mile = 23.35 mph. So, this is the fastest a human could run the length of a football field, well actually 110 yards.

Using the same calculations, here are results for the best 40-yard dash times recorded during the NFL Combine since 2000. First, during the NFL Combine for the last fives, the top 15 40-yard dash times range between 4.27-4.36 sec, which is 20.5-20.9 mph. In fact, since 2000 (when electronic timing was implemented for every time recorded), only 13 players (all RB, CB, and WR, no QB) ran the 40 in less than 4.30 sec or 20.8 mph. Chris Johnson has the lowest 40 time at 4.24 sec or 21.1 mph recorded in 2008. Before that, Bo Jackson has the 40-yard dash record at the NFL combine in 1986 at 4.12 sec or 21.7 mph.

For the 2013 NFL Combine, here are results for the top 15 40 times at each skill position:

http://www.nfl.com/c...L-LB-CB-OL-SPEC

QB: 4.59-5.11 sec or 17.5-19.5 mph

RB: 4.34-4.6 sec or 19.5-20.6 mph

WR: 4.27-4.5 sec or 19.9-20.9 mph

S: 4.42-4.65 sec or 19.2-20.2 mph

CB: 4.36-4.48 sec or 20-20.5 mph

These are 75 of the fastest recorded times in 2013. However, over 300 (~335) players are invited to the Combine each year. Obviously, the remaining 225+ times are all slower, meaning the rest are under 20 mph. The video has Martinez at 20.5 mph (which would put his 40 time around 4.36 sec). So, I would say Martinez is no slouch. He gets out fast and has an impressive top speed, one that would be around the top for QB or any skill positions...any position really.

• Fire 2

The eyeball test shows me that Martinez is running faster after 3 steps, assuming its in a straight line. If a change of direction is required, Crouch will maintain a higher speed through that change. I would imagine they have a similar top speed in the open field. But I'm not using science or anything.

Alright as promised...

Research has shown that maximum velocity (or Vmax) during a 40 yard dash is weakly correlated to initial acceleration (measured in the first 5 or 10m), so if you are worried about Martinez’s initial burst, you really need to compare his speed to others during the initial 5 or 10m of a sprint.

In the 2009 World Championship Finals, where Usain Bolt set the 100m world record at 9.58 sec, his first 10m were completed in 1.5 sec or 14.9 mph. The average stride, or length covered per step, for sprinters is 2.44m, so Bolt would have covered the first 10m in four steps. The video has Martinez at 15 mph in his first three steps. While Martinez (top speed 20.5 mph) would lose the 100m to Usain Bolt (top speed 23.35 mph), he accelerates a bit faster and could potentially beat him in the first three or four steps, Martinez’s first three steps top out at 15 mph and Bolt’s first four steps top out at 14.9 mph. In fact, most 100m sprinters do not hit Vmax until 50-60m.

Now, if you want to compare Martinez to other college football players, I found a study that looked at the Vmax of 61 NCAA Division II college football players. Basically, of the 29 skill players (QB, RB, WR, CB, and LB), the average time during the first 9.1m or 3-4 steps was 1.73 sec or 11.8 mph. Linemen (n=23) were slower at 1.86 sec or 10.9 mph.

[Data from: Brechue WF, Mayhew JL, Piper FC. (2010). Characteristics of sprint performance in college football players. J Strength Cond Res. 24: 1169-1178]

Also, looking at the times during the first 9.1m of a 40-yard dash for the 1,156 players that participated in the NFL Combine from 2005-2009, the average time was 1.62 sec or 12.5 mph with a standard deviation of ±0.11 sec. Which means that 68% (or athletes that fall within one standard deviation) of all these athletes ran the 9.1m between 1.51-1.73 sec or 11.76-13.5 mph. Further, this also means that 95% (or athletes that fall within two standard deviations) of all these athletes ran it between 1.4-1.84 sec or 11-14.5 mph. Thus, Martinez’s first three steps (which is only 3*2.44m or 7.32m at 15 mph) is faster than 95% of the athletes that have competed at the NFL Combine from 2005-2009. Meaning Martinez is accelerating faster within less distance than most elite football players.

[Data covering the NFL Combine from: Robbins DW. (2012). The normalization of explosive functional movements in a diverse population of elite American football players. J Strength Cond Res. 26: 995-1000.]

So, no, Martinez does not take too long to get going. DUDE, IT'S SCIENCE!!!

• Fire 3