Paps excited about D

Here is a good read with Paps and Fischer about our D for next year, injured guys who are ready and who might return punts. Nate Gerry also gets mentioned as a guy who will be contributing this year. Paps talks about the speed and most athletic D since he has been hear. I also like him acknowledging "Speed kills".

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130719/HUSKERS/130729919

I guy making a mistake at 100 mph and is athletic can recover and correct on the fly a lot more than a slower less athletic player IMO. Last year, guys might have known the system, but just couldn't recover or get from point A to B quick enough to make the play.

Is is game time yet?

I know that when you have to replace 8 starters on D, it's easy to be cynical. But lets just be bluntly honest. As erratic and porous as the D was the last couple years, replacing nearly all starters is probably a good thing.

Put me on the "addition by subtraction" bandwagon as well.

Also good to see that Taariq and Wullenwaber are healthy and ready to practice. Going to be fun seeing how they contribute to an already talented position.

..tick

.....tock

..tick

I know that when you have to replace 8 starters on D, it's easy to be cynical. But lets just be bluntly honest. As erratic and porous as the D was the last couple years, replacing nearly all starters is probably a good thing.

Also good to see that Taariq and Wullenwaber are healthy and ready to practice. Going to be fun seeing how they contribute to an already talented position.

..tick

.....tock

..tick

Never has the words "addition by subtraction" been truer or more relevant. David, although an athletic freak and incredible player, shows what happens when you have speed and a nose for the ball (2010 when he didn't "know system). I can only imagine an entire team more athletic and faster than what we have field the past 2. It has got to be an improvement. Sure can't be worse IMO.

I still look at what BO did with athleticism and speed in Super D and Haag (Peso) and can't help, but think that this year we see some of that innovation.

It seems that we hear the same thing over and over each year. Until game day, I am cynical.

I'm a skeptic until we make it past the pre-season cupcakes and see what the Blackshirts do in the first conference game.

/ Although UCLA might be a worthy test of the defense this year.

I'm so tired of hearing people repeat the mantra "They're athletic, but will they KNOW the defensive scheme?". Look, the top SEC teams year-in and year-out play NUMEROUS RS and true freshmen players. Those defenses are probably just as, if not more complicated than what Bo is running. The SEC guys are some of the dumber people on the planet so it's not like they're picking up on the schemes and quicker than our guys are (probably A LOT slower, to be honest). The point is, athleticism trumps "knowing the defense" every time.

All that being said, color me as VERY excited about the young, untested, athletes on D.

• Fire 1

Don't you guys give any credit to the fact that our D will being up against our O (one of the best in the nation) to prepare for the season?

I think they'll learn quicker than most do.

It certainly doesn't hurt. Most weeks this year the toughest offense the defense will see will be in practice.

We need to keep our fingers crossed that the young guys have great instincts and 'football IQ' which would help alleviate the lack of experience.

..tick

.....tock

..tick

Never has the words "addition by subtraction" been truer or more relevant. David, although an athletic freak and incredible player, shows what happens when you have speed and a nose for the ball (2010 when he didn't "know system). I can only imagine an entire team more athletic and faster than what we have field the past 2. It has got to be an improvement. Sure can't be worse IMO.

I still look at what BO did with athleticism and speed in Super D and Haag (Peso) and can't help, but think that this year we see some of that innovation.

We're on the exact same page, man. It goes back to the old adage, "you can't teach speed."

The secondary is obviously the strength of this defense with the amount of starters returning. (Ciante Evans, Andrew Green, Stanley Jean-Baptiste, Josh Mitchell)

It's not a very kind thing to say, but I'm excited that we no longer have Compton and Fisher at LB. I'm sorry, but I'm eager to see the athleticism that this new group has to offer. This goes for the defensive line too.