Paps excited about D

The defense needed a reboot. After watching the CCG game in the off season made me realize that another year with that same personnel would not have equated to significant improvements. We've got numbers at every position on the defense for this year. Most is unproven talent, but there is the hope of significant talent. So bring on the new line up. It can only get better. And there's at least a decent chance that by mid to late season, the attitudes on this board will have done a 180.

If we can hold it together against UCLA, we have a very light schedule for the first half of the season. We don't have a road game until October 12th at Purdue. It's been said before, but I think that's a HUGE advantage for the defense to gel before the meat of our conference schedule.

We also have 2 bye weeks before the start of the crucial stretch of the 2013 season

-Wyoming

-Southern Miss

-UCLA

-South Dakota State

BYE

-Illinois

-@ Purdue

BYE

-@ Minnesota

-Northwestern

-@ Michigan

-Michigan State

-@ Penn State

-Iowa

The schedule couldn't be set up any better for our defense to find its footing. If we want to take that next step forward as a program, we need make the most of opportunities like this.

I know that when you have to replace 8 starters on D, it's easy to be cynical. But lets just be bluntly honest. As erratic and porous as the D was the last couple years, replacing nearly all starters is probably a good thing.

Put me on the "addition by subtraction" bandwagon as well.

Also good to see that Taariq and Wullenwaber are healthy and ready to practice. Going to be fun seeing how they contribute to an already talented position.

..tick

.....tock

..tick

Never has the words "addition by subtraction" been truer or more relevant. David, although an athletic freak and incredible player, shows what happens when you have speed and a nose for the ball (2010 when he didn't "know system). I can only imagine an entire team more athletic and faster than what we have field the past 2. It has got to be an improvement. Sure can't be worse IMO.

I still look at what BO did with athleticism and speed in Super D and Haag (Peso) and can't help, but think that this year we see some of that innovation.

We're on the exact same page, man. It goes back to the old adage, "you can't teach speed."

The secondary is obviously the strength of this defense with the amount of starters returning. (Ciante Evans, Andrew Green, Stanley Jean-Baptiste, Josh Mitchell)

It's not a very kind thing to say, but I'm excited that we no longer have Compton and Fisher at LB. I'm sorry, but I'm eager to see the athleticism that this new group has to offer. This goes for the defensive line too.

Saw another article talking about our CB's with Green and SJB being Co #1's. SJB led the team with pass break ups and Green is the returning leader in tackles. Said that this tips our hand depending on who started last year as it relates to planning to stop the run or pass. Said the B1G CC could have been worse if not for a career high 8 solo tackles by Green.

Don't you guys give any credit to the fact that our D will being up against our O (one of the best in the nation) to prepare for the season?

I think they'll learn quicker than most do.

The amount of credit we give should be consistent with how much the 1s practice against the 1s.

How much credit should we be giving?

Here is a good read with Paps and Fischer about our D for next year, injured guys who are ready and who might return punts. Nate Gerry also gets mentioned as a guy who will be contributing this year. Paps talks about the speed and most athletic D since he has been hear. I also like him acknowledging "Speed kills".

http://www.omaha.com...SKERS/130729919

I guy making a mistake at 100 mph and is athletic can recover and correct on the fly a lot more than a slower less athletic player IMO. Last year, guys might have known the system, but just couldn't recover or get from point A to B quick enough to make the play.

Is is game time yet?

I am cautiously optimistic. I am concerned over the number of injuries; will we have enough depth? I would also like to see some of the DBs moved to LB. We have a surplus of talented DBs, and many of them are big. Get the speed on the field and attack!

It's simple. I think I'll take this years lost bunch of fast guys out there instead of the lost bunch of slow guys we watched last year. Really though, we were slow yes, but for the love of God, even when we were in position we missed tackles all over the place. I just hope these fast guys can do the most fundamental part of football, TACKLE!

• Fire 1

Paps excited about D

And, anyone expect him to say anything differently? For his sake, I hope he is correct. But, I have my doubts! For me, Paps does not have the experience to run a top flight defensive unit at the college level. It is my opinion that he is in over his head. But then, that is JMO. The proof will be in the pudding.

Quote from Paps, “Whatever they turn out to be in the next two or three years, it’s whatever we’re able to develop them into.” That folks, is the scary part. We seem to not have any development program. We are always hanging our hats on hopefuls that "might" be the next diamond in the rough. However, it appears to me we lack the ability to establish a constant flow of players on the defensive side of the ball. Our line backing group last year was a prime example. The Will Compton's of this world do not cut it in big time college football.

I hope the coaching staff sticks to what they have been saying about putting the best "athletes" on the field. (Although, that can also be seen as a sign of weakness.) Telling a young kid right out of HS that he should be prepared to play is a bit ominous. I would much rather have a few mistakes by guys who can recover and still make a play, rather than mistakes by folks who simply have no speed or limited athletic ability.

So, I will keep as optimistic as possible, for the time being. First game not too far down the road.

• Fire 1

Don't you guys give any credit to the fact that our D will being up against our O (one of the best in the nation) to prepare for the season?

I believe this has been stated publicly (if not oh well) but they will do more live tackling and more good on good work than they have ever done due to the lack of experience and trying to season them as Mich as possible while they can.

I think they'll learn quicker than most do.

The amount of credit we give should be consistent with how much the 1s practice against the 1s.

How much credit should we be giving?

I guy making a mistake at 100 mph and is athletic can recover and correct on the fly a lot more than a slower less athletic player IMO. Last year, guys might have known the system, but just couldn't recover or get from point A to B quick enough to make the play.

Watch the pre-snap of Santos during the PSU game where he makes the play at the goal line that causes the fumble. He's looking in at Compton wondering what his assignment is, as ball is snapped, he reacts and makes a huge play.

Paps excited about D

And, anyone expect him to say anything differently? For his sake, I hope he is correct. But, I have my doubts! For me, Paps does not have the experience to run a top flight defensive unit at the college level. It is my opinion that he is in over his head. But then, that is JMO. The proof will be in the pudding.

Quote from Paps, “Whatever they turn out to be in the next two or three years, it’s whatever we’re able to develop them into.” That folks, is the scary part. We seem to not have any development program. We are always hanging our hats on hopefuls that "might" be the next diamond in the rough. However, it appears to me we lack the ability to establish a constant flow of players on the defensive side of the ball. Our line backing group last year was a prime example. The Will Compton's of this world do not cut it in big time college football.

I hope the coaching staff sticks to what they have been saying about putting the best "athletes" on the field. (Although, that can also be seen as a sign of weakness.) Telling a young kid right out of HS that he should be prepared to play is a bit ominous. I would much rather have a few mistakes by guys who can recover and still make a play, rather than mistakes by folks who simply have no speed or limited athletic ability.

So, I will keep as optimistic as possible, for the time being. First game not too far down the road.

Wow. Did you think of that all by yourself?

It's simple. I think I'll take this years lost bunch of fast guys out there instead of the lost bunch of slow guys we watched last year. Really though, we were slow yes, but for the love of God, even when we were in position we missed tackles all over the place. I just hope these fast guys can do the most fundamental part of football, TACKLE!

Bingo. Now we're talkin.

I don't know if Paps should have said he was worried instead of excited. I'm worried that a great offense will be pushed, to have to put up 30-40+ pts a game, just to squeak out a win. I don't understand how our defense fell off so quick. Granted we changed conferences, but we still were supposedly recruiting top playmakers, that should have been able to make the switch. The speed thing doesn't make that much sense, with our trouble in the B1G, as it was a given on this board that the B1G was always a slower conference, than any of the top four conferences. We recruited the D for Big-12 type offenses. We had the speed for them........GBR!!!

Paps excited about D

You have a specific comment about what I wrote?

Paps excited about D

You have a specific comment about what I wrote?

I can point out 3 things right off the start that are ridiculous. I'll leave it at that.