Paps excited about D

I am all for speed on the field and hope that Bo will cut them loose. Sometimes it looked to me last year that some of the schemes were being thought out too much and the players were caught thinking rather than reacting. That CCG was just atrocious and no adjustments made until it was tooooooo late.

We will see soon enough!

I love to hear the talk about speed and athleticism, but ultimately it comes down to fundamentals. It's great that you have the speed to get there, but do you make the play too? Lots of examples that others mentioned last year where this is the case. I'm encouraged to see what this defense can do as a fresh start might be just what we need. If they can make tackles and force turnovers, I'll be very happy.

Here are the headlines we'll see about the defense during Fall Camp:

Papuchis: Rebuilding defense "swimming in it"

Papuchis eager to show athleticism of young defense

Papuchis disgusted as defense has poor showing in scrimmage

Papuchis says refocused defense ready for Wyoming

It's mostly head games for the team. They're going to tell the press what they want the defense to see in the press. The press will regurgitate it because that's all they can do, and the players will see it in print as well as hear it from the coaches.

I don't get too worried/excited about these articles this point in the year.

Really? I would have thought all Husker fans would get excited about this quote from the article.

The on-field work starts in about two weeks, when the NU football team kicks off preseason practice on Aug 3.

:wasted:bonesflag::throwdabones1::afro:

• Fire 1
Also, Cooper will have the same position coach (Terry Joseph) for the second straight season for the first time in his Husker career.

LINK

i borrowed that from the 50 best countdown thread.

not having to replace any of the defensive coaches seems to be an overlooked component in the defense being stronger. with another year of experience with bo's defense the first year coaches we had last year should be able to teach the concept better and they have a better idea of the players' abilities .

Here are the headlines we'll see about the defense during Fall Camp:

Papuchis: Rebuilding defense "swimming in it"

Papuchis eager to show athleticism of young defense

Papuchis disgusted as defense has poor showing in scrimmage

Papuchis says refocused defense ready for Wyoming

It's mostly head games for the team. They're going to tell the press what they want the defense to see in the press. The press will regurgitate it because that's all they can do, and the players will see it in print as well as hear it from the coaches.

I don't get too worried/excited about these articles this point in the year.

Really? I would have thought all Husker fans would get excited about this quote from the article.

The on-field work starts in about two weeks, when the NU football team kicks off preseason practice on Aug 3.

:wasted:bonesflag::throwdabones1::afro:

cheers.gif

We may not have known what wouldve turned out from some of those guys under Callahan, but a pretty accurate assumption can be made that it wouldnt've been half as good as what Bo did with them. How? Well, Billy had a pretty gosh darn good class in 2005. Then, when these guys were juniors in 2007, that happened.

Quote from Paps, “Whatever they turn out to be in the next two or three years, it’s whatever we’re able to develop them into.” That folks, is the scary part. We seem to not have any development program.

Ndamukong Suh (cally recruit) That's my point.

Prince Amukamara (cally recruit)

Philip Dillard (cally recruit)

Matt O'Hanlon (cally recruit)

Larry Asante (cally recruit)

Eric Hagg (cally recruit)

Jared Crick (cally recruit)

etc...

Those guys were nothing before Bo came. The staff can develop talent, when they have it. We're paying for the sins of the 2008 - 2010 classes.

"Can develop talent - when they have it." Huh? So like David? Do you think LD was developed, or already had it? I'd say he already had it. I don't want to take anything away from the development of these players under Bo, but we don't know what they would have been under Cally either.1* They were young, and Bo got them in their prime. You can't really say this about anyone that he's recruiting and had 5 years to work with though, which is unfortunate. 2*

I'd say Eric Hagg is probably the best example. Don't think he'd be playing in the NFL without Bo and his Peso scheme...then again we have no real way to know that.

All I know is, Bo has not been able to replicate the same development of his recruited players, as he had with Cally's players. 3* It's early. We'll see. But basically 3-4 classes were duds on the defensive side. We'll see how the next 2 or 3 pan out...but you can't blame us for being skeptical with his track record of talent on the D. Do you think he did a good job developing Stafford? Or Rome? Or A. Green? Or E. Martin? Or Cooper? All guys that IMO had a higher ceiling than they reached under Bo. 4*

1. Yes we do. They were terrible or non-existant. Every single one of those guys was a great athlete, but they weren't great football players.

2. That's kinda my point. The starters were mostly guys who were from the 08-10 classes, which were subpar.

3. You just made reiterated my point. Those guys were all better athletes. Bo's first few classes weren't good enough to play his scheme.

4. Considering the secondary (i.e. Stafford and Green) had 3 DB coaches in 3 years, I think they've held up well, especially when you account for poor pressure up front. Losing Carl hurt our DL development, and we haven't replaced the talent on the DL.

The craziest part, is how we went from an amazing D with a poor O, to a great Offense with a bad Defense. Now, all of our development is on the offensive side (hello golf coach). In my humble opinion, I think it's a mix of coaching and talent, but Bo's scheme requires fast guys (this isn't Norm Parkers cover 2) and he hasn't had them. Should he have altered his D? Probably. But when it's what you do, and do well, it's hard to adjust.

• Fire 1
I like speed, but our problem with the D isn't the linebackers or secondary. It's the D-line, and it all starts with that. That's the problem as i see it.

I Rewatched a ton of games this weekend. You'd be surprised. We weren't as bad as people want to make us out to be on our DL.

Our linebackers and safety play just wasn't there.

The problem is that most that were there are going to be gone.

I like speed, but our problem with the D isn't the linebackers or secondary. It's the D-line, and it all starts with that. That's the problem as i see it.

I Rewatched a ton of games this weekend. You'd be surprised. We weren't as bad as people want to make us out to be on our DL.

Our linebackers and safety play just wasn't there.

The problem is that most that were there are going to be gone.

Dline played well against run. Struggled to put pressure on qb. Martin was the only guy who could win up front. Other than that we had to bring pressure to get to qb. If we had any sort of pass rush our secondary would have been even better. Once baker got hurt we struggled a little. He was a dtackle that could take over a game and demand the offenses attention.

The craziest part, is how we went from an amazing D with a poor O, to a great Offense with a bad Defense. Now, all of our development is on the offensive side (hello golf coach). In my humble opinion, I think it's a mix of coaching and talent, but Bo's scheme requires fast guys (this isn't Norm Parkers cover 2) and he hasn't had them. Should he have altered his D? Probably. But when it's what you do, and do well, it's hard to adjust.

Our recruiting is following that trend as well. If you'd have told me 4 years ago that Nebraska would be recruiting some of the top WRs in the nation...I'd have laughed at you. 2012 I think (more blindly hoping) will prove to be Bo's best defensive haul.

2011, defensively has been a total bust. Santos is the only defensive contributer left in that entire class. CJ may step up this year...but 1 guy out of an entire class? Hurts.

2010 class? 2, maybe 3 guys are contributors as juniors/seniors.

2009 - 1 guy is currently contributing as a senior?

Basically, if you look at recruiting...Bo could have not recruited a single defensive player for 3 years...and we'd field almost the same defensive unit as we will this year. And what worries me is the 2010 class looked pretty good defensively a couple of years ago, and the 2011 class looked awesome, full of upgraded talent a year ago.

So it's why I'm sort of blindly hoping the 2012 class will turn into Bo's best defensively...because at this point in all of his other class (18 months post signing day) - all his past classed looked pretty dang good too. Then they actually were expected to play football...and poof, reality set in.

Our recruiting is following that trend as well. If you'd have told me 4 years ago that Nebraska would be recruiting some of the top WRs in the nation...I'd have laughed at you. 2012 I think (more blindly hoping) will prove to be Bo's best defensive haul.

2011, defensively has been a total bust. Santos is the only defensive contributer left in that entire class. CJ may step up this year...but 1 guy out of an entire class? Hurts.

Basically, if you look at recruiting...Bo could have not recruited a single defensive player for 3 years...and we'd field almost the same defensive unit as we will this year. And what worries me is the 2010 class looked pretty good defensively a couple of years ago, and the 2011 class looked awesome, full of upgraded talent a year ago.

So it's why I'm sort of blindly hoping the 2012 class will turn into Bo's best defensively...because at this point in all of his other class (18 months post signing day) - all his past classed looked pretty dang good too. Then they actually were expected to play football...and poof, reality set in.

I get what you're saying but I think you're being a little to stingy on your contributers:

2011 - CJax and Santos should play a lot. Williams and even Pirman may see some action due to lack of depth at LB.

2010 - Cooper, Evans, HJax, Mitchell, and SJB were all in that class and will likely start or at least play significantly. That's nearly half our defense. We may also see Jay Guy if we're (he's) lucky.

2009 - Ankrah and Randle should be starters playing most of the time.

So basically you gave each class about half as much credit as it deserves.

I get what you're saying but I think you're being a little to stingy on your contributers:

2011 - CJax and Santos should play a lot. Williams and even Pirman may see some action due to lack of depth at LB.

2010 - Cooper, Evans, HJax, Mitchell, and SJB were all in that class and will likely start or at least play significantly. That's nearly half our defense. We may also see Jay Guy if we're (he's) lucky.

2011 - CJax has not developed as quickly as I thought he would, but I think he'll get into the 2-Deep and step up this year. Santos was a great get in that class. Williams would not be playing more than 20 snaps if we weren't so thin at DT IMO. Same goes for Pirman. They're young and I could be wrong, but I think these 2 are more a product of the situation than their talent and work getting them into a 2-deep.

2010 - Cooper, Evans, and HJax were my 3. Mitchell is going to be competing with Siesay, Green, Evans, SJB and Rose for that CB spot. Don't see him breaking into the 2-deep. Maybe a 2b...but not much of a contributer this year. SJB I didn't count because he was recruited as a WR. He would probably still be there had there been any kind of depth at CB. (although i'm really glad he moved)

2009 - I missed Akrah, could only think of Randle off the top of my head.

But still...that's 7 defensive players out of 3 classes to fill a 22 man 2-deep. That's putting some pretty immense pressure on the 2012/2013 classes...and elevating some other guys that probably shouldn't be in the 2-deep in the first place.

2011 - CJax has not developed as quickly as I thought he would, but I think he'll get into the 2-Deep and step up this year. Santos was a great get in that class. Williams would not be playing more than 20 snaps if we weren't so thin at DT IMO. Same goes for Pirman. They're young and I could be wrong, but I think these 2 are more a product of the situation than their talent and work getting them into a 2-deep.

2010 - Cooper, Evans, and HJax were my 3. Mitchell is going to be competing with Siesay, Green, Evans, SJB and Rose for that CB spot. Don't see him breaking into the 2-deep. Maybe a 2b...but not much of a contributer this year. SJB I didn't count because he was recruited as a WR. He would probably still be there had there been any kind of depth at CB. (although i'm really glad he moved)

But still...that's 7 defensive players out of 3 classes to fill a 22 man 2-deep. That's putting some pretty immense pressure on the 2012/2013 classes...and elevating some other guys that probably shouldn't be in the 2-deep in the first place.

Mitchell played in 13 games last year and made 8 starts. I think that qualifies as a contributor.

If you're not counting SJB because he was recruited on offense, are you going to count the players who were recruited as defensive players but are contributing on offense (J. Cotton and Pensick)?

LOL WHAT?

HAHAHA.

You also didn't count Stafford, Lavonte, Joseph Carter or to a lesser extent, Daniel Davie (of whom will most likely contribute next year because we are stacked at CB)

Oh and 2009 we had Ankrah, Gomes, Green, Martin and Randle who were all contributors. I realize you want players for this year, but some of those players were the GEMS of their class JUCO wise so you can't discount that in recruiting.

Also - regarding Suh, he was recruited a second time by Bo. He was halfway out the door. Almost any other coach and he would've been gone.

Don't mean to do a hit and run, but Andrew Green was also a 2009 kid.