OG Alex Lewis

http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_23736783

An arraignment for former University of Colorado lineman Alexander Lewis -- who, along with CU quarterback Jordan Webb, is accused of assaulting a man on University Hill in May -- was postponed Friday as he mulls a plea deal offered by prosecutors.

Lewis, 21, faces one count of second-degree assault and two counts of harassment.

At Friday's arraignment hearing, prosecutor Bruce Langer indicated the two sides had reached "the end of negotiations" and that Lewis was considering his options before deciding whether he will take a deal or proceed to trial.

Lewis is now scheduled for arraignment Aug. 16.

2nd degree assault and 2 counts of harassment. That dosen't sound too bad. I'd let him sit a year and see if he can stay out of trouble.

2nd degree assault gets you almost 6 years in prison here in Oregon. Minimum. Probably not that different in Colorado.

Edit: Looks like a mandatory 5 years in Colorado.

http://www.colorado-criminal-lawyer.com/felony_cases/assault.html

An arraignment for former University of Colorado lineman Alexander Lewis -- who, along with CU quarterback Jordan Webb, is accused of assaulting a man on University Hill in May -- was postponed Friday as he mulls a plea deal offered by prosecutors.

Lewis, 21, faces one count of second-degree assault and two counts of harassment.

At Friday's arraignment hearing, prosecutor Bruce Langer indicated the two sides had reached "the end of negotiations" and that Lewis was considering his options before deciding whether he will take a deal or proceed to trial.

2nd degree assault and 2 counts of harassment. That dosen't sound too bad. I'd let him sit a year and see if he can stay out of trouble.

2nd degree assault gets you almost 6 years in prison here in Oregon. Minimum. Probably not that different in Colorado.

http://www.colorado-...es/assault.html

thanks for the legal research since I was way off. Time to give up on this one.

Cut the kid and move on, we don't need the distraction.

don't necessarily disagree with you (and don't really care one way or the other...we have a boatload of scholarships sitting there unused) - but we don't know if he'd be a distraction. he's just had the sh!t scared out of him. he might be one of the hardest working, most motivated guys on the team after this. i'm not sure if he has a history of this or not, but if it's an isolated incident, i'd say the end result will likely be for the better. quite the gut check for someone with a promising future.

http://www.colorado-...es/assault.html

thanks for the legal research since I was way off. Time to give up on this one.

That's why plea deals are being talked about. With the victim not testifying this will get cut down quite a bit. Probation, no jail time.

Cut the kid and move on, we don't need the distraction.

how can you cut him if he is not on the team yet? let the situation play itself in the court system then Bo can decide if he will grant him a scholarship or not.

innocent until proven guilty. none of us know what really happened that night, except for what we have read in the media, and we all know how accurate the media can be in what actually happened!

• 3 weeks later...
Lewis’ hearing in Boulder (Colo.) County Court was again delayed after Lewis’ first lawyer, Donald Brenner, had asked to withdraw from the case because of a conflict of interest. Lewis’ new lawyer, Gary Lozow, said Lewis would travel to Lincoln to enroll at Nebraska. Lozow didn’t know Lewis’ status with the team. Lewis has a hearing now scheduled for Sept. 20.

OWH Article

I think the statements vary. One of biggest issues seems to be if he hit the girl too. Or if it was a deal where you "throw someone off you" or if she was really even that involved. Her statement has changed. They victim which he admits to hitting was so drunk he didn't know what happened. Lewis says he was protecting himself and his friends after they were hit first. That seems to be pretty much the story with everyone except the girl. I would guess they are saying he went too far and should have stop the attack after the guy was no longer able to attack...but that becomes a "crime of passion" or "heat of the moment" type of argument. You can protect yourself but to what degree. That seems to be what they need to get to the bottom of. And if its a line of bull or not.

At Big Ten media days, Pelini declined to make an extended comment beyond “there are no guarantees for Alex — there never were.”

I'm guessing this means he doesn't get a schollie right away. Will join us as a walk-on.

At Big Ten media days, Pelini declined to make an extended comment beyond “there are no guarantees for Alex — there never were.”

I'm guessing this means he doesn't get a schollie right away. Will join us as a walk-on.

Probable so. Especially with the problems he's had. But we do have some open spots.

• 4 months later...

Something tells me hes learned his lesson, i would hope anyway. I cant fault him too much, hell how many of us have gotten in fights when in high school/college? Im not proud of it but i did. Boys will be boys, but he needs to understand now that he needs to be above it and stay outta trouble.