Your 3 predictions for Husker football this season.

Some of you need totumblr_lrwanhMiDF1qj93o4o1_400.gif

I ask you, what is special about the team this year that makes it any different from teams in the last few years?

I'll take what speed and athleticism can do for a defense for 600, Alex.

Do you think it will be better than the 2010 defense that had, what, 6 future NFL'ers?

The reality is that no matter what expectations fans have going into a season, we have lost 4 games every single season with Bo. Think about how different our reasons for hope and concern have been since 2008:

2008: New coach. We went 5-7 last year.

2009: Year 2. Ended last year with momentum. Need to break in new QB. Clear progress has already shown on D.

2010: Huge expectations, especially for defense. Easy schedule. Most people (fans and analysts) pick us to win Big 12.

2011: New conference, which is perceived as weak. We return half of a great defense from the year before. Martinez has another year of experience.

2012: Almost the entire offense returns. Schedule is tougher than usual. Lost 3 defensive stars to NFL.

Every year we try to find reasons why we should win X games. But the reality is that we're a rather mediocre team that finds ways to lose 4, no matter the circumstances. Whether we're hoping to have a winning record or win the conference, the result is the same. It's about time people stop trying to justify why why should be anything other than mediocre when there's absolutely no evidence suggesting that to be the case.

• Fire 1

It's about time people stop trying to justify why why should be anything other than mediocre when there's absolutely no evidence suggesting that to be the case.

I'm sorry to disappoint you (you sound like you're already having a bad day), but I will always find some reason or another to get excited about the next football season. It's part of being a fan through the good and the bad, imo. If i went into every year with your attitude, I'd be pretty depressed and wouldn't have a whole lot of fun.

• Fire 2

I ask you, what is special about the team this year that makes it any different from teams in the last few years?

Do you think it will be better than the 2010 defense that had, what, 6 future NFL'ers?

The reality is that no matter what expectations fans have going into a season, we have lost 4 games every single season with Bo. Think about how different our reasons for hope and concern have been since 2008:

2009: Year 2. Ended last year with momentum. Need to break in new QB. Clear progress has already shown on D.

2010: Huge expectations, especially for defense. Easy schedule. Most people (fans and analysts) pick us to win Big 12.

2011: New conference, which is perceived as weak. We return half of a great defense from the year before. Martinez has another year of experience.

2012: Almost the entire offense returns. Schedule is tougher than usual. Lost 3 defensive stars to NFL.

Every year we try to find reasons why we should win X games. But the reality is that we're a rather mediocre team that finds ways to lose 4, no matter the circumstances. Whether we're hoping to have a winning record or win the conference, the result is the same. It's about time people stop trying to justify why why should be anything other than mediocre when there's absolutely no evidence suggesting that to be the case.

Martinez didn't start until 2010 so he only had 1 year under his belt going into B1G play. Not to mention that he was also under a new coordinator in 2011. 2010 saw an outgoing OC with a true Fr. QB, and they were about 7 points away from a 12-0 regular season; not to mention the screw job at aTm by the refs. That was the year we should be lamenting IMO, if somehow the offensive transition we have seen over the past 2 years was able to start 1 year earlier then a lot changes IMO.

Regarding this year, we have nearly an all Jr. And Sr. O-Line with an AA and 1-2 pre-season All Conference picks; not to mention they have shown they can run block with best of them. We have a Sr. QB who has started 3 years already and has been in the same system for the last 2 going on 3. He has already shown great improvement and is a clear nightmare for opposing DC's. We have arguably the best receiving corps in conference and a stable of Backs that ooze talent and potential. The offense should be darn salty.

On D there are a lot of question marks, most notably can they stop the run? The back 4-5 are laden with experienced talent. They were great in pass D last year, can an infusion of unproven potential and increased athleticism in the front 7 stop the run? If yes, then this will be a special year.

• Fire 1

First of all, you keep using that word mediocre:

inigo-montoya.jpg

Secondly:

While we've had 4 losses every season, the way they've come about have been very different. A 4-loss regular season in 2008 with two curb-stompings is a hell of a lot different than a 4-loss 2010 with two in the regular season, a wrecked ankle and a bowl matchup screwjob, for example.

More importantly than looking at our win and loss totals is looking at them in the context of what was expected. This team has overachieved at times and underachieved at others. It has fallen with opportunity, and it has shown tremendous resiliency. It has self-destructed, and it has risen to the occasion. It has remained consistent enough through some wildly and uniquely inconsistent, rare circumstances.

The only thing that will show what this team is capable of is hindsight in January. Anything else is guess work.

• Fire 1

For me and most my friends the season is really so much more than just the games. I mean, I know lots of fans need to sit there and listen to every single word the announcers say, either to agree or complain about what they said. They need each game to be a huge win and they can only hang out with super fans that are just there to focus on the game.

For me, it's exciting because when the season starts its another chance to hang out with friends, to party, to watch football, goof around, tell and re-tell stories over and over and over and over...it's 6-10 hours of fun. The result of the game with a win really just makes the old fun-o-meter go up higher.

I could not imagine a friend or myself saying "no thanks, I don't want to meet out on O street or a tailgate or a bar in Omaha because I am not excited about my expectations for this years Husker team"

It's about time you learn what being a fan is all about.

It's about time you learn what being a fan is all about.

Does being a fan mean you can't be critical of the team when you see faults? Are Illinois fans expected to think that they are going to go 12-0 this year to be really considered Illinois fans?

• Fire 1

I think it was what the poster KJ was implying or what a few of us were inferring from his post.

There's not much to infer other than realizing it's absurd to slam a poster for predicting 4 losses when that has happened 5 seasons in a row.