Any chance we shock the Nation as Auburn did?

I'm going to say yes there's a chance. After re-watching the bowl game against Georgia, I'm further convinced our offense is going to be dominant this season. I think we were just scratching the surface last year.

There are plenty of concerns with this team, they've been discussed at length. I think our offense will be good enough to give us a chance to win every game.

Agreed.

We've GOT to be better on every play at every position on defense this year.

The defense is going to have to be virtually unstoppable for there to be any chance.

Eh, I think unstoppable is an overstatement. We can beat 10 of the teams on our schedule with a good game from our offense and the same defense we had last year. We nearly beat UCLA at their place with last year's defense and handled Michigan at our place. Michigan will be tougher on the road (and possibly a better offense) but I don't think we'd necessarily have to have a much better defense to go 12-0. We obviously had several close calls last year but those were games when our offense struggled for some time in addition to suspect defense.

That could mean that we'd have to have one really good game out of our defense (CCG) to play for the title.

As I said earlier, I didn't think it's likely, but it's a possibility.

Agree. In keeping with the thread - Auburn only had a #60 defense that year (#53 scoring). They gave up a chunk of points, but they could score em in droves. Certainly sounds like our gameplan going into this season. And while they played 7 ranked teams to win an NC - we'll likely only play maybe 4 throughout the season...and only Ohio State should be top 10. There's certainly a chance.

Where we have issues is they were #9 against the rush, and 108th against the pass. A rush D is more important to winning a championship than a pass D IMO. Especially in the B1G. We must have a top 30 rush D to accompany our top 10 pass D in order to have any chance. Reach that mark, and be consistent in getting there (not give up 400 rush yards one game, following that up with a 90 yard day the next week) - and we'll be fine.

Im sure they had good rushing D when they won.

They were also WAY down the Rushing Defense ranks the year before their 'ship, behind Indiana, Illinois, and Colorado.

That's kind of the point of the thread.

Cam Newton was the surprise to most. SEC schools knew his ability, the rest not so much. Taylor will not be a surprise to anyone. He should have his best year this, and if the offense can score on the top defenses we actually have a chance of being better than most predict. The defense needs to step up no question. Just be serviceable and the offense as good as projected, who knows what can happen. Still concerned about UCLA, honestly more than anyone else. Hearing some good things about their team out here.

I would say there's an outside shot.

As long as the key players stay healthy, out of trouble, focused and constantly playing at a high level... who knows how far they'll go.

If the defense gets better (which I think they will) it will really dictate the way the season goes. If the D doesn't improve then another 4 loss season it'll be. But if they step up to the plate, I could see a serious conference title run. And say we run the table and win the B1G, there should be no reason we won't be in the national title hunt.

Our defensive line has nothing but question marks this season. Hell, our defensive line has sucked in years where we thought we had answers so how in the hell do we possibly think it will be better in a year which we have no idea what we've got?

Take that, then add the fact that we are so young and inexperienced. Don't let expectations bite you in the ass people. We have no evidence to base any judgment on this defense. The only evidence is that this defense has been trending downward each year. We have a four loss average. We have under devoloped talent, and have not been getting young players a lot of in game repitition. The evidence suggests that you should logically expect something very similar does it not?

Our defensive line has nothing but question marks this season. Hell, our defensive line has sucked in years where we thought we had answers so how in the hell do we possibly think it will be better in a year which we have no idea what we've got?

Take that, then add the fact that we are so young and inexperienced. Don't let expectations bite you in the ass people. We have no evidence to base any judgment on this defense. The only evidence is that this defense has been trending downward each year. We have a four loss average. We have under devoloped talent, and have not been getting young players a lot of in game repitition. The evidence suggests that you should logically expect something very similar does it not?

What talent have we under-developed to this point?

Our defense actually trended up slightly this past season.

I personally think we have not under developed our talent. I think we simply are not recruiting enough talent. We simply don't have the physically athletes other teams have. Key defensive positions are loaded with project guys compared to the big dogs of college football. If recruiting doesnt improve dramatically we will be average at best. I am anxious to see what happens on defense this yr. I hope for the best but expect nothing fantastic.

I personally think we have not under developed our talent. I think we simply are not recruiting enough talent. We simply don't have the physically athletes other teams have. Key defensive positions are loaded with project guys compared to the big dogs of college football. If recruiting doesnt improve dramatically we will be average at best. I am anxious to see what happens on defense this yr. I hope for the best but expect nothing fantastic.

We have been burned really bad on a few guys that flat out didn't do the work required of them and expected to play. IE Chase Rome and Jay Guy. I blame it on coaches not doing their homework on kids all around thoroughly enough. Hence the lengthy evaluation period this year during the spring.

Let's say we have a 50/50 chance in each game against Michigan, Penn State and the B1G champ game. A 70/30 chance against Sparty and UCLA. And a 50/50 chance we run the table against the rest of them. Then a 25% chance we get into the Rose Bowl (BCS champ bowl this year) and win it:

0.5 x 0.5 x 0.7 x 0.7 x 0.5 x0.25 = 1.53% chance. So our chances are about 1 in 65. Give or take. :lol: