UCLA Game worries

The first two games aren't going to show us what NEB is capable of.......

We'll get a much better picture of what the offense and defense can do once UCLA comes to Lincoln. This is the assessment game IMO. This game may set the tone for the rest of the year. It is a game that needs to be won IMO if NEB wants to do big things this year, i.e. BIG10 championship appearance, BCS bowl appearance.

With all the extra speed and athleticism people keep bringing up about the defense, what worries me is that NEB is YOUNG. This is a YOUNG defense and it seems there has to be some game-time experience or growing up to do for certain positions to really shine(yes, there are exceptions to the rule).

We'll get a much better picture of what the offense and defense can do once UCLA comes to Lincoln. This is the assessment game IMO. This game may set the tone for the rest of the year. It is a game that needs to be won IMO if NEB wants to do big things this year, i.e. BIG10 championship appearance, BCS bowl appearance.

With all the extra speed and athleticism people keep bringing up about the defense, what worries me is that NEB is YOUNG. This is a YOUNG defense and it seems there has to be some game-time experience or growing up to do for certain positions to really shine(yes, there are exceptions to the rule).

What I'm concerned with is a team like UCLA exploiting the speed on our D being so young. With that much athleticism and being so young, it is common for players to over pursue the play. I look for UCLA to use a lot of misdirections and cut back running lanes. I'm hoping our LBs and safeties are extremely athletic but disciplined in their assignments.

What I'm concerned with is a team like UCLA exploiting the speed on our D being so young. With that much athleticism and being so young, it is common for players to over pursue the play. I look for UCLA to use a lot of misdirections and cut back running lanes. I'm hoping our LBs and safeties are extremely athletic but disciplined in their assignments.

This is where the extra time they'll have to prep worries me. Think they'll throw a lot of stuff at the young D to cross them up. They crossed us up a good amount in the first half last year. What killed us of course was garbage tackling/inability to make plays throughout the game. Hopefully our athleticism gets us in better position to tackle and the increased emphasis on good-on-good practice pays-off.

This is where the extra time they'll have to prep worries me. Think they'll throw a lot of stuff at the young D to cross them up. They crossed us up a good amount in the first half last year. What killed us of course was garbage tackling/inability to make plays throughout the game. Hopefully our athleticism gets us in better position to tackle and the increased emphasis on good-on-good practice pays-off.

A lot will come down to if our offense takes it to UCLA early. Playing with a lead allows your defense to be more confident and aggressive. The home field advantage really helps a young defense IMO.

the coaches also have a year's worth of film instead of one game to work from too. so the players should be better prepared for some of the stuff they'll try.

UCLA were the first expose everything that was wrong with our defense last year. Our lack of speed at LBs. They were killing us with the short drag route. Compton could not keep up. There's an argument there that UCLA was the better team that night IMO.

I did enjoy myself in Pasadena that day, and in West Hollywood that weekend.

UCLA opened the eyes of a lot of the staff. They ran a lot of motion to get misdirection going and then took advantage of our lack of speed. I would rather them get a decent gain every now and then on a misdirection running play, than consistently run outside for massive gains. Also, I don't think we have to worry -AS- much about over running a play because the common thread amongst our most likely starting linebackers is great play recognition. I trust Bo can coach them up enough to have them ponies ready to prance come game time. Also, knowing what offense they will run and having a full year of gametime will be greatly beneficial to game prep for them - recognizing formations, what plays they run out of that formation, what to watch out for, etc.

</p>

UCLA were the first expose everything that was wrong with our defense last year. Our lack of speed at LBs. They were killing us with the short drag route. Compton could not keep up. There's an argument there that UCLA was the better team that night IMO.

What's crazy is Compton ran a 4.6 40 and still holds the record for fastest 10 yd run EVER at Nebraska.

I think Compton has become everyone's scapegoat for what was wrong with our defense.  I think the breakdown actually happened at our defensive end position AND our outside linebackers.

Just based on what I saw, Compton picked up their RB when he came out of the back field to drag across the middle. And he just got cooked.
</p>

What's crazy is Compton ran a 4.6 40 and still holds the record for fastest 10 yd run EVER at Nebraska.

I think Compton has become everyone's scapegoat for what was wrong with our defense. I think the breakdown actually happened at our defensive end position AND our outside linebackers.

Just based on what I saw, Compton picked up their RB when he came out of the back field to drag across the middle. And he just got cooked.

Correct

Some guys run well in pads and in real games- some not so well

40 times can be a little deceiving

Compton was giving good effort- no way did he have the "on grass" speed to cover the "shallow" pattern so many college teams are running these days

I think Compton has become everyone's scapegoat for what was wrong with our defense. I think the breakdown actually happened at our defensive end position AND our outside linebackers.

Go watch Compton in coverage..and his play recognition...

He was our best linebacker, obviously, but he still wasn't good. Let me put it this way, with our last couple linebacker classes, if he was recruited with them...I'm not so sure he'd be a starter.

Our failures were at safety and all 3 linebacker positions.. our DEnds probably did the best job on the OL... they forced the play where they were supposed to (into the OLB or safety) but unfortunately we couldn't tackle...