Shatel: NU offense aiming to set off another 'Scoring Explosion'

Shatel: NU offense aiming to set off another 'Scoring Explosion'  

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There has been plenty of talk about how good this year's version of the Nebraska offense could be. The potential is there, and there seems to be some belief throughout Husker Nation that this offense could be special, as Tom points out here.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130803/HUSKERS/130809568/1002#shatel-nu-offense-aiming-to-set-off-another-scoring-explosion

So, how good can they be?

The potential is scary. The schedule seems very weak this year. Its very possible we will be a top 3 offense in the country by the end of the year. Even with the potential, most years I would say Nebraska would find a way to fail, but with this schedule it just seems like we should not struggle to score massive points.

The potential is scary. The schedule seems very weak this year. Its very possible we will be a top 3 offense in the country by the end of the year. Even with the potential, most years I would say Nebraska would find a way to fail, but with this schedule it just seems like we should not struggle to score massive points.

Agreed and we shouldn't or I won't know what to think. This schedule is ridiculous and the fact that we only have 4 games away and some bye weeks sprinkled in the team should hold up well against this schedule.

What I didn't realize

Beck has done some homework on 1983. He remembers watching the Orange Bowl. He marvels at the symmetry of the 30-year anniversary, down to the schedules. NU played Penn State that year, and also had Wyoming and UCLA at home, while going to Minnesota. Same as 2013.

“There were a lot of similarities,” Beck said. “They had a lot of turnovers. They fumbled the ball 44 times that year, which I thought was interesting.”

Everything appears to be set up for a high output offense but, this kind of talk is not deserved until they actually do it on the field. The scoring explosion was in the prime of my college years at UNL. They were incredible to watch. You literally felt/expected that they could score on any play from any position on the field. This current team has some work to do before I have that same feeling of superiority and invincibility. The ppg will be very dependent on the O line. The triplets, as great as they were, wouldn't have put 52 on anybody without a dominating line.

• Fire 1
“We've got to quit turning the ball over,” Beck said. “The last three years, we're 29-12. We're 18-1 when we're plus turnovers, 11-11 when it's even or minus. Eliminating stupid plays, the bad pass into double coverage, the missed handoff, the missed quarterback-center exchange.”

create-bump-key-open-any-door.w654.jpg

I voted for 35-40. Not because I don't think they could score more, but because Bo tends to shut it down after we get up by 3-4 touchdowns on someone.

But we might have to score 60 to be up 3-4 touchdowns. :o

very true. most of the teams that end up in the mid-upper-40's tend to hang 70+ on a couple cream-puffs, which automatically bumps your average by about 5-10. I don't see Bo doing that.

Another thing too look at are the non-conf scores we've had under Bo. Only once has he run the score up over 70. Idaho State 73-7 last year. Most of our non-conf cream puff games end up in the mid 40s. Due to the conservative play and relatively low scores in our non-conf games it's unlikely Bo will ever field a team that averages more than 50.

But that's okay by me. I mean, what would it prove to hang 70 points on South Dakota State? (Although I wouldn't mind seeing us hang 70 on UCLA. lol)