Athlon Sports: NEB a Darkhorse

Eh.......sort of a interesting article....take it for what it's worth....I think a good portion of these predictions are pretty out there.

I definitely don't agree with some the teams picked as darkhorses for the natty title, but I thought this article could lend to some discussion:

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-footballs-top-10-darkhorse-national-title-contenders

"Why Nebraska is a Title Contender:

nebraska-cornhuskers.pngOffense, offense and offense. The Cornhuskers led the Big Ten in total offense at 460.8 yards per game last season. And the same cast of characters returns for 2013. Quarterback Taylor Martinez made significant strides last year, and running back Ameer Abdullah filled in admirably for an injured Rex Burkhead. " per athlonsports.com, Lassan.

Well I think we have to be something of a dark horse simply because of our schedule. If our team turns out exactly as we expect (great offense, mediocre defense) we'll be favored in 11 of 12 games. If our defense is just a little better than expected, a 12-0 regular season is not at all unreasonable. Then we've got a puncher's chance to beat OSU in the B1G title game and get to the NCG.

Long shot? Yep. But I'd say we've probably got a better shot at making it to the NCG than 5-10 schools that are better than us simply because we couldn't have dreamed up a better schedule to make a big run.

• Fire 9

Well I think we have to be something of a dark horse simply because of our schedule. If our team turns out exactly as we expect (great offense, mediocre defense) we'll be favored in 11 of 12 games. If our defense is just a little better than expected, a 12-0 regular season is not at all unreasonable. Then we've got a puncher's chance to beat OSU in the B1G title game and get to the NCG.

Long shot? Yep. But I'd say we've probably got a better shot at making it to the NCG than 5-10 schools that are better than us simply because we couldn't have dreamed up a better schedule to make a big run.

Great, concise description. That's exactly how I see this season.

Excellent. I couldn't agree more.

I think Neb will be able to walk thru every game except UCLA, NW, Mich, Mich St., and Penn State (from the top of my head, not looking at a schedule) and all of those games a very winnable. We know our O will be great, 4th year QB, 1 proven RB in abdullah with 2 great freshman that I hope play and play a lot this year, 3 proven WR in Bell, Turner, and Enuwa with talent and athleticism behind them with Moore and Westercamp and a proven Oline with some good talent coming in. Obviously it comes down to how the D plays. I know our secondary will be great. It all starts upfront. Gregory should help Ankrah rush along with McMullen. Hope we can get some snaps out of Valentine and hope some freshman can make some impact. And I love our athletic LB. I would take quick LB that make mistakes (Santos and David his first year) over slow LB that know the system but aren't athletic enough to make plays (Fisher Compton).

I also think Brax.Miller will get hurt and Ohio State won't have as great of a year as last year, don't know what they have for a back up but certainly not as good as Miller. I think Mich won't be as good as people are thinking, just got a feeling. I think NW will surprise some people that don't know about them but we will beat them in a close game in Lincoln. Not sure why people are giving Mich. St. so much credit, I know their Defense will be good but we tore them apart last year. I think this is the year Nebraska really steps into the national spotlight again.

If turnovers aren't corrected NU cannot win a Title. It only takes one loss to prevent a national championship, and at the rate NU turns the ball over, it will cost us at least one game.

Alabama?

I am assuming NU starts out lower then 15th in the polls. You still have a chance with one loss if you start in the top 5. I can't ever remember a team that started out lower than 15th and played for the MNT with a loss.

I think another reason for the dark horse status is that the defense really could step up. We have very good talent and what I hope is still a great defensive mind in Bo. The offense will be championship quality and perhaps the defense will step up and also be a top 20 unit. I don't think the offense is strong enough to overcome horrible defense but I think we have the talent to put up a top 20 d to go with a top 5 offense.

ixqfga4jzujcf.0_standard_500.0_medium.gif