Know the Foe: Brett Smith

So your upset because Wyoming fans on Wyoming sites are bragging on the Wyoming quarterback.

Also how does a quarterback get in the Graveyard, is it through opinion or is there some sort of stats that need to be met?

Nothing personal - I just always want quarterbacks to make it in there, and the more great their fans think they are, the more my desire grows :P

Also, here's the thread. It's not exactly scientific (read through the hilarious bickering if you're bored), but it's mine:

http://www.huskerboa...d-2013-edition/

My own personal criteria for making the list breaks down like this

1. If they played like crap, and are or are likely to become NFL QBs, or very highly regarded college QBs.

2. Held to a completion percentage in the 40's or low 50's, or their lowest completion percentage of the season.

3. As many interceptions as touchdowns.

Did Smith meet the qualifications as a True Freshmen, If you ingnore #1 in your opinion

So your upset because Wyoming fans on Wyoming sites are bragging on the Wyoming quarterback.

Also how does a quarterback get in the Graveyard, is it through opinion or is there some sort of stats that need to be met?

Nothing personal - I just always want quarterbacks to make it in there, and the more great their fans think they are, the more my desire grows :P

Also, here's the thread. It's not exactly scientific (read through the hilarious bickering if you're bored), but it's mine:

http://www.huskerboa...d-2013-edition/

My own personal criteria for making the list breaks down like this

1. If they played like crap, and are or are likely to become NFL QBs, or very highly regarded college QBs.

2. Held to a completion percentage in the 40's or low 50's, or their lowest completion percentage of the season.

3. As many interceptions as touchdowns.

Did Smith meet the qualifications as a True Freshmen, If you ingnore #1 in your opinion

Man how am I only now realizing he isn't in there? He was at 51% completion with pretty average numbers (166 yards, 2 TD, 1 INT), but he was also a freshman. I'll ask what other people think and maybe we'll get a double entry :D

Kind of worrisome that in an article praising him for his off-season work and looking ahead to 2013 that one of the main points they made was that Smith is concussion-prone.

We've got a few rush ends who may - according to Fall Camp hype - be able to crash the pocket pretty quickly on Smith. I would hate to see him get hurt.

Virginian - can you tell us more about this? How big of a worry are concussions for Smith?

Does anyone know why football helmets are designed with hard shells and inflexible padding? It seem like a soft shell and spongy padding (like a baseball helmet) would limit the ability to hurt someone with the helmet, while also reducing the blow to the head when you get hit.

That's actually a damn good question and something I've been mulling over for the past few years as someone who wants to be in the engineering field. In short I think a soft shell would either break too much like a bike helmet (it's really only made for one hard impact) or it wouldn't be able to absorb enough energy for the size restrictions. Modern helmets look incredibly rigid, but if you were to use super slow mo to watch an impact you would see that they actually deflect quite a bit. Right now the rigid helmet is probably the best compromise between durability and safety that we can get.

The current generation of helmets are focused on being lighter to reduce the amount of force that can be generated and protecting player's chins/jaw. Guys like Bill Simpson (better know for a majority of the safety innovations in racing) are working on even lighter and better absorbing materials in football helmets. But when you start using carbon fiber and kevlar things get expensive and your back to compromises again.

• Fire 1

Brett Smith is being talked up by Wyo. fans because he's the only reason they're going to have a chance to score points. He's a very good quarterback, but 1/3 of his team are starting their first ever division one game in front of one of the largest crowds some of them may ever see. Though I think the shock factor will go down for them after the first couple of series, it's still a major hurdle they're going to have to overcome. Throw on that I saw rumblings of o-line issues and (I think) they're starting a freshman running back, Smith gives them their only opportunity to win.

Anything can happen, but from face value, Nebraska is a three-to-four score favorite imho.

• Fire 1

Brett Smith threw

5 TD's against Idaho who gave up an average of 42.4ppg - 122nd in the nation

3 TD's against Nevada who gave up an average of 33.8ppg - 102nd in the nation

3 TD's against UNLV who gave up an average of 32.6ppg - 97th in the nation

4 TD's against Colorado State who gave up an average of 30.3ppg - 81st in the nation *

4 TD's against New Mexico who gave up an average of 30.2ppg - 80th in the nation

2 TD's against Texas who gave up an average of 29.2ppg - 74th in the nation

2 TD's against Toledo who gave up an average of 28.4ppg - 67th in the nation *

2 TD's against San Diego State who gave up an average of 24.4ppg - 42nd in the nation *

The * are games in which Wyoming as a team outscored the opponent's average ppg total.

Outside of Boise (against whom he threw zero TD's) the BEST scoring Defense Brett Smith faced all of last season was Fresno State who gave up an average of 23.8ppg and ranked 37th in the nation...

Smith threw 2 TD's in a Pick and had a 47.7 completion percentage against that Fresno State Defense.

Wyoming only played ONE game the entire season against a team that finished with a top 30 scoring Defense.. Boise.

They scored 14 points in that game, half of which were scored in the 4th quarter when the score was 38-7. Brett Smith threw Zero TD's in that game.

Brett Smith is NOT a great QB. He's barely even a very good QB and the Wyoming offense is above average at best.

...Mountain West team faces less competition than Big Ten team.

Shocking, I know...

This is Nebraska. Many people here (not saying Landlord is one of them) hate Martinez and can't wait until he's gone. If Smith was our QB they'd be demanding we get a Martinez-like guy in there. They're never, ever satisfied.

Speak for yourself you Tmart hater, I love the guy and wish he could get about 8 more yrs of eligibility.

• Fire 1
This is Nebraska. Many people here (not saying Landlord is one of them) hate Martinez and can't wait until he's gone. If Smith was our QB they'd be demanding we get a Martinez-like guy in there. They're never, ever satisfied.

Speak for yourself you Tmart hater, I love the guy and wish he could get about 8 more yrs of eligibility.

knapplc is obviously leading the TMart hate charge, but we shouldn't taint the new people with that knowledge.

• Fire 2