Why Wyoming Can Beat Nebraska - from the blogs at WyoNation

knapplc

Yeah, we only play pee-on schools the past 10 years like Boise St, Utah, BYU and TCU

You went back 10 years to tout BSU, Utah, BYU, and TCU?

Necessity Carl, necessity. Play a team when they suck (Utah/TCU) then act like it means something years later. Maybe we should pull out our all time record against LSU but, it's not really the same, they were actually good when we were beating them.

If Neb doesn't show up and play well, they could get beat.

It's possible. Do you think that it's likely?

of course not likely. but possible? Yes

So, in a nutshell, you see two possibilities; #1 Most likely- Nebraska beats Wyoming or #2 Possible but unlikely- Nebraska doesn't show up and play well and thus beat themselves. Now remind me, where does Wyoming play into the outcome?

They're the opponent

TCU beat Wisconsin, Boise beat Georgia not to long ago, oh and Utah beat Bama and Michigan.

TCU beating Wisconsin in 2011.... I'll give that to ya.

Georgia of 2012 and 2013 is not Georgia of 2011. They were a good drive away from playing for the national championship.

And Utah beat Michigan in 2008 and beat Bama in 2009.

But honestly, so what.... you guys got embarrassed by Boise State last year and 2011. You guys lost to TCU in 201. You guys got embarrassed by Utah in 2010. By the way, you also lost to us in 2011.

Since 2011, what would you consider to be your single defining victory? Ours is easily defeating Ohio State (a team most people are predicting will be playing for the MNC this year) with the biggest come back in school history, playing against an actual Heisman contender.

Since 2011, that would have to be the win at San Diego State in 2011(or 4 straight victories over Colorado State, but it doesn't fit the time line). Is that glamourous to you, I doubt it.

You asked how Boise, TCU, Utah, and some other Utah team that i won't mention compared to Georgia, Michigan, Wisconsin, etc. and i simply pointed out in the most recent head to head match up Mountain West teams both former and curent won those matchups. I did forget the Boise loss to Michigan State so you got me there.

For a 28 pt favorite some of you do get riled up fairly easily.

For a 28 pt favorite some of you do get riled up fairly easily.

It's all in good fun. I think we all agree that just about any D1 school can beat another any give Saturday, but often times it takes a perfect storm. Something I've come to realize with ISU, Northwestern, and South Dakota State which is why I'm apprehensive to make predictions anymore. And I would venture to guess that you would admit that if a MWC team played in a BCS conference they would more than likely falter due to a lack of talented depth.

1. Play bracket coverage on the outside receivers and force him to throw over the middle where he has not been proven to be an accurate passer.

The deep post is Taylor's best ball.

I think that was the point -- take away the outside receivers (whether they're running posts or fades) and force him to complete short or intermediate passes over the middle in traffic.

It sounds good in principle, but Taylor isn't exactly a freshman any more. He's got a lot of veteran savvy and our offense is getting to be a pretty well-designed, well-oiled machine. On top of that, the 'skers are simply going to have way too much firepower for the Cowboys to deal with. Clever plan of attack or not. I'd really like to see the predictions of putting 60 on anyone this year come true with a resounding statement out the gates.

1. Play bracket coverage on the outside receivers and force him to throw over the middle where he has not been proven to be an accurate passer.

The deep post is Taylor's best ball.

I think that was the point -- take away the outside receivers (whether they're running posts or fades) and force him to complete short or intermediate passes over the middle in traffic.

It sounds good in principle, but Taylor isn't exactly a freshman any more. He's got a lot of veteran savvy and our offense is getting to be a pretty well-designed, well-oiled machine. On top of that, the 'skers are simply going to have way too much firepower for the Cowboys to deal with. Clever plan of attack or not. I'd really like to see the predictions of putting 60 on anyone this year come true with a resounding statement out the gates.

Better defenses have not been able to shut down Taylor and company when they needed to, how does a team with a fraction of the talent and coaching acumen have a hope? Christensen is on record as saying Taylor scrambling around scares the hell out of him.

To say nothing of the fact that it is going to be very hot at kickoff, and Nebraska runs a very high tempo offense. The Wyoming defense is going to be gassed before halftime rolls around.

Why Wyoming Can Beat Nebraska - from the blogs at WyoNation Only if the NU coaching staff comes up to row 82 in the NW corner of the stadium and hauls my larded, 69 yr. old rear end out on the field to play defensive tackle. :lol:
What is your bench, squat and 40 time?

Bench=One can of Bud Light in per hand, to reps each until gone. Squat=Depends on the hemorrhoids. 40 yd time=Out to the end of the driveway to get the newspaper (about 3.5 minutes) And, that is on a good day.

Alright so here is my theory on how Wyoming wins

First: I have noticed Pelini struggle against mobile quarterbacks. Brett Smith is fairly moble. To make up for a poor running game Wyoming will rely on Wr screens and fly sweeps with players like Heron and Miller.

2nd: Huskers play down to there opponent like they have in the past. You have all seen them get to the red zone only to punt after 5 penalties in a row. Maybe a fumble or int thrown in for good measure

3rd: ? I don't know. Maybe the huskers play the second string. But that hasn't happened in years. Seriously does Martinez have a backup?

Hey, every fan I know believes in their team at the start of the year. We all find ways to justify our usually overblown expectations. For instance, NU vs. OSU. I can think of a dozen reasons the Huskers win in Indy. However, if Michigan drops a loss on us, I will be rethinking some things.

It's great to see confidence and passion from our opponents. If everyone was as dismal as Iowa fans lately, these forums would be dreadful to behold. Matter of fact, I think Iowa is one of the only teams whose fans, in recent memory, seem truly down about their team. And that's not all of them by far, but those who are down, are REALLY in the dumps.

I'd love to see Wyoming knock off one of the bluebloods. Just not this time!

Alright so here is my theory on how Wyoming wins

First: I have noticed Pelini struggle against mobile quarterbacks. Brett Smith is fairly moble. To make up for a poor running game Wyoming will rely on Wr screens and fly sweeps with players like Heron and Miller.

2nd: Huskers play down to there opponent like they have in the past. You have all seen them get to the red zone only to punt after 5 penalties in a row. Maybe a fumble or int thrown in for good measure

3rd: ? I don't know. Maybe the huskers play the second string. But that hasn't happened in years. Seriously does Martinez have a backup?

I could see you guys winning a couple of ways.

1. The unforeseeable happens (e.g. Iowa State 2009).

2. Our offense has a mediocre outing and our defense melts down. Our defensive line and linebacker corps are really green and no one here has much of an idea how they'll all come together this Saturday. I've bought into the idea that we're going to see an upgrade in athleticism. But it's certainly not beyond the realm of possibility that Wyoming punches us in the face early and our fresh faces on defense won't have the wherewithal to recover.

That said, I see the game being similar to last year's opener against Southern Miss.

thats what I would do if I was the Wyo coach, even if Neb scores, better than having them control the ball all game.

And Wyoming does have a few good athletes.

You guys have a nice little program hidden away in the MWC...

And you'll see the drastic differences between our teams and conferences Saturday night. I applaud your bravado and I know you're being a fan with your heart in the right place, but I'll explain why you guys could and probably will get clobbered...

1. You are playing an angry team. The last two games they played were losses, and one of them a crushing loss. If you don't think they are going to come out and wanting to bequeath a little pain upon the "pokes", then you are mistaken.

2. The Secondary might be the strength of the defense. If you want to go after them, I'm sure they'd be more than happy to have you try.

3. While you are worried about T-Mart's throwing motion, you might want to remember, the kid can run. Just watch the run he made against Wisky in the conference title game debacle.

4. I don't think you need to worry about T-Marts passing, but the physicality of the offensive line, and them ramming "the Butcher" and Cross down your throats.

5. Not only that, but you'll be facing what might be the best recieving core in the B!G. Get used to the name Kenny Bell, you might be hearing it a bunch on Saturday night.

You'll know what kind of game it's going to be by the end of the 1st quarter. If your lines on both sides of the ball are getting demoralized, then you know that all your smack talking was for naught...