Why Wyoming Can Beat Nebraska - from the blogs at WyoNation

knapplc

You would be hard pressed to find another program in the country who would commit to playing a quarterback who was so careless with the football.

But, we still win 10 games a year.

Chad Smith, you are a bad writer and should feel bad.

• Fire 3
1. Play bracket coverage on the outside receivers and force him to throw over the middle where he has not been proven to be an accurate passer.

Pretty accurate assessment except for this statement. Martinez has proven last year to be consistently able to throw to the middle of the field. Outside the numbers is where he struggles mightily. Like has already been said though, their main concern is the overall running game. If they can't stop that, and the shouldn't be able to, they have no chance.

1. Play bracket coverage on the outside receivers and force him to throw over the middle where he has not been proven to be an accurate passer.

Pretty accurate assessment except for this statement. Martinez has proven last year to be consistently able to throw to the middle of the field. Outside the numbers is where he struggles mightily. Like has already been said though, their main concern is the overall running game. If they can't stop that, and the shouldn't be able to, they have no chance.

That statement sounds like the guy cut-and-pasted it from some other random review that he found on the Interwebz. In fact, a lot of the article sounds like that. :lol:

N Sker brought up the point I was going to. All this talk of Martinez and his throwing motion, his skills (or lack there of), etc. It appears some of their fans, and maybe even a majority, are glossing over a few things - we have a 1000-yard plus returning rusher, one of the most dominant running games in the country and possibly the best offensive line in the B1G. Martinez this and Martinez that - they should be far more concerned about how they're going to compete in the trenches over whether they can stop Martinez. That's where games are won and loss, and I think Wyo. is going to struggle in the trenches.

For those Wyo. fans that don't know, Nebraska returns most of the offense that averaged 254 rushing yards per game and had a 5.4 ypc avg. That was sixth best in the nation.

Yeah, good luck.

Oh please let them use this gameplan. The game would be over at halftime and we could get a lot of reps for a lot of the deep depth guys that will help later in the year.

The game is probably going to be over at halftime no matter what game plan they use.

But kids, pre-season optimism is a hell of a thing. I'm grateful to be a part of a fan base that has a higher resistance to kool-aid than most.

EDIT: Oh, and I really enjoyed this:

The truth is Martinez is a below average passer, that pads his stats versus lower competition .....

And Wyoming's defense is what, Mr. Bill Connelly?

OVERALL 108/125

Ah.

The Wyo defense is poor. How are they going to stop the basic run plays of our offense? I just don't see it happening. And when you can't do something that basic, then you have to walk more people down into the box and start guessing, which makes you more vulnerable to play action and misdirection.

If there is anything that concerns me as far as the Wyo offense goes, it would be the jet series stuff. Wisky ran that, and we struggled.

Wyo won't be able to pound it between the tackles on us because that simply isn't in line with the way their coach operates. That means a lot of throws for Smith against Bo's vaunted zone-man hybrid run by an experienced and talented secondary. Good luck with that.

The only hopes for Wyo is that we put the ball on the turf and that our special teams melt down. Outside of those two events happening.... Wyo can just about forget about any type of upset bid.

• Fire 1

N Sker brought up the point I was going to. All this talk of Martinez and his throwing motion, his skills (or lack there of), etc. It appears some of their fans, and maybe even a majority, are glossing over a few things - we have a 1000-yard plus returning rusher, one of the most dominant running games in the country and possibly the best offensive line in the B1G. Martinez this and Martinez that - they should be far more concerned about how they're going to compete in the trenches over whether they can stop Martinez. That's where games are won and loss, and I think Wyo. is going to struggle in the trenches.

For those Wyo. fans that don't know, Nebraska returns most of the offense that averaged 254 rushing yards per game and had a 5.4 ypc avg. That was sixth best in the nation.

Yeah, good luck.

But...but...but...martinez...he...he sucks.