Post Game Wyoming Tweets

Nobody

This whole " we are Nebraska" so we will easily win these type of games concept is about the stupidest thing I've ever heard. If there are really players on this team that believe that then I am shocked. Even when we were the Nebraksa that steam rolled everybody,even then those guys worked their asses off everyday and took care of business on Saturdays.

I just don't even see how players could even have this mentality, it doesn't make any sense. I guess it's possible though after hearing there were players losing focus and backing off a bit in the first game of the season. Not sure why your here if that's your mindset.

Why do people use Martinez as a reason we should blitz more? The team that blitzes the most in the B1G is MSU, and TM had 365 yards of offense against them.

Read-and-react works sometimes and not at others. Blitzing works sometimes and gets burned others. There's no simple answer or there'd be no reason to argue over defenses.

The only real problem I had with the defense last night was the missed tackles (AGAIN!!!!) and letting Wyoming run up the middle on us. We held on to some interceptions finally, and that made a really big difference.

If NU had MSU's defense last year we would have been ranked in the top 5.

Probably.

This whole " we are Nebraska" so we will easily win these type of games concept is about the stupidest thing I've ever heard. If there are really players on this team that believe that then I am shocked. Even when we were the Nebraksa that steam rolled everybody,even then those guys worked their asses off everyday and took care of business on Saturdays.

I just don't even see how players could even have this mentality, it doesn't make any sense. I guess it's possible though after hearing there were players losing focus and backing off a bit in the first game of the season. Not sure why your here if that's your mindset.

You seem to have the "We are Nebraska so we will easily win these types of games" mentality. This look familiar?

Nebraska. 52

Wyoming. 20

Why do people use Martinez as a reason we should blitz more? The team that blitzes the most in the B1G is MSU, and TM had 365 yards of offense against them.

Read-and-react works sometimes and not at others. Blitzing works sometimes and gets burned others. There's no simple answer or there'd be no reason to argue over defenses.

The only real problem I had with the defense last night was the missed tackles (AGAIN!!!!) and letting Wyoming run up the middle on us. We held on to some interceptions finally, and that made a really big difference.

I don't know about us blitzing more. Yea we could blitz more but not a whole lot. My comments are more directed toward not even allowing the front four to get after it.

Ok, that's similar in philosophy - turning guys loose to attack vs reading and keeping the play in front of you. Pelini has said many times that he'd prefer to make the offense earn it's yards and usually it's hard to not make a mistake in a long drive. Basically, preventing the big play. Attacking defenses try to force mistakes but tend to give up more big plays as a result. High risk, high reward. If one was obviously better than the other, we wouldn't we discussing it. I think a mix is the right approach, depending on personnel and opponent. But that requires the dreaded "multiple" defense.

This type of approach on defense works when we're a physically superior team but falls apart against equal or stronger opponents. It's getting worse as more and more teams learn how to exploit the system.

Here's something else that baffled me - anyone with the game recorded, go back and check how many times we ran misdirection, or any line stunts on defense.

When people talk about Nebraska playing "vanilla" in that game, it's an understatement. There was ZERO subterfuge on our side of the ball Saturday night. Bo and Beck clearly felt we could line up and show them absolutely nothing, yet still win the game. They were right - but just barely.

We're well past the days when we can take any opponent lightly. We very clearly took Wyoming lightly. We do that too often, then appear surprised when the opponent doesn't just lay down at the feet of the Mighty Huskers.

Nearly cost us this game.

WHAT?!?!?!?

We ran more stunts on the DLine than I ever remember. On almost any passing down, we were running a twist somewhere on the line. Blitzed the MIKE on many occasions. And brought at least a dozen corner blitzes. I'm not sure how you can say that?

I don't know about us blitzing more. Yea we could blitz more but not a whole lot. My comments are more directed toward not even allowing the front four to get after it.

Ok, that's similar in philosophy - turning guys loose to attack vs reading and keeping the play in front of you. Pelini has said many times that he'd prefer to make the offense earn it's yards and usually it's hard to not make a mistake in a long drive. Basically, preventing the big play. Attacking defenses try to force mistakes but tend to give up more big plays as a result. High risk, high reward. If one was obviously better than the other, we wouldn't we discussing it. I think a mix is the right approach, depending on personnel and opponent. But that requires the dreaded "multiple" defense.

This type of approach on defense works when we're a physically superior team but falls apart against equal or stronger opponents. It's getting worse as more and more teams learn how to exploit the system.

Do you have anything to back that up other than popular opinion? Were we physically equal or superior to 2009 Texas? How about Oklahoma in 2009 or 2010?

The D has been below average the last couple years, but it's shown poorly against both strong and weak opponents.

Do you have anything to back that up other than popular opinion? Were we physically equal or superior to 2009 Texas? How about Oklahoma in 2009 or 2010?

The D has been below average the last couple years, but it's shown poorly against both strong and weak opponents.

If my memory serves me I think the answer to all three of those games is: Suh.

I agree with you that it's played poorly against most everyone. It's my opinion that we get exposed when facing equal or greater talent.

We all figured the offense was going to have to put up a lot of points, and the defense was going to have to just slow the other team down, just enough. Well that's what they did. That said. We are in trouble. I don't think we can get the recruits, the way we once did. If we could, we would see a better product out there. Bo is a great D coach, but even he can't spin straw into gold. The kids played as hard as any other teams we have had,they just aren't the 4 and 5* players it takes to stay an elite team year after year. I still think we will have a good season, just not the one we were hoping for. GBR!!!

Boise and other teams get lower recruiting rankings then us and win and look good doing so. No BO better start looking to improving his staff or someone will improve the whole staff.

agree, he has no real good coaches on the D...lots of rookies, but he picked them....

Terry Joseph, Rick Kazcenski (sp?)