Post Game Wyoming Tweets

Nobody

This type of approach on defense works when we're a physically superior team but falls apart against equal or stronger opponents. It's getting worse as more and more teams learn how to exploit the system.

Do you have anything to back that up other than popular opinion? Were we physically equal or superior to 2009 Texas? How about Oklahoma in 2009 or 2010?

The D has been below average the last couple years, but it's shown poorly against both strong and weak opponents.

If my memory serves me I think the answer to all three of those games is: Suh.

I agree with you that it's played poorly against most everyone. It's my opinion that we get exposed when facing equal or greater talent.

But then why did we do well in 2010?

Defenses always look better with better players. That was true of McBride's defenses as well. But that's true regardless of scheme.

This whole " we are Nebraska" so we will easily win these type of games concept is about the stupidest thing I've ever heard. If there are really players on this team that believe that then I am shocked. Even when we were the Nebraksa that steam rolled everybody,even then those guys worked their asses off everyday and took care of business on Saturdays.

I just don't even see how players could even have this mentality, it doesn't make any sense. I guess it's possible though after hearing there were players losing focus and backing off a bit in the first game of the season. Not sure why your here if that's your mindset.

I see where you are coming from.

Interestingly, your post reveals some great insight. As you refer to the days when NU was really strong, you state, essentially, that they played hard and practiced hard and took the foot off very rarely... they knew that effort was the key. That characterizes a well-coached team. A team whose attitude is "we must out effort all our opponents and play everyone hard... and get better each week."

Now to the recent teams. The comments from player after player over the past few years and the general degree of effort shown makes clear that at least a reasonable subset of the recent NU teams do have a "we are NU" attitude and we show up and can win. Effort has not been stressed. Their coaches go on record saying all is fine... when it is not. This is not a driven team. It has not been a driven team. This is a major coaching flaw.

I agree that such a perspective is foolish for the team to adopt... but that does not mean that that foolish perspective has not been adopted. i think, to a degree anyway... that it has. Perhaps an embarrassment or two more and that attitude will go away. I hope that that would be the response. I think it would help if the coaches would fess up publicly and say "we have been unprepared, out-coached, undisciplined and have played poorly and there can be no excuses... it is not youth, it is not anything but a coaching staff and a team that has to wildly improve in every area." A problem will not be fixed until the problem is identified.

Now to the recent teams. The comments from player after player over the past few years and the general degree of effort shown makes clear that at least a reasonable subset of the recent NU teams do have a "we are NU" attitude and we show up and can win. Effort has not been stressed. Their coaches go on record saying all is fine... when it is not. This is not a driven team. It has not been a driven team. This is a major coaching flaw.

Is this coaching or players? I've always seen Bo emphasize effort. Maybe the attitude doesn't marry with the words. When the coaches loaf it and have a "vanilla" game plan, that seems to translate to the players who seem less interested out there. (I really hate the "save something for future opponents" school of coaching.)

Is this coaching or players? I've always seen Bo emphasize effort. Maybe the attitude doesn't marry with the words. When the coaches loaf it and have a "vanilla" game plan, that seems to translate to the players who seem less interested out there. (I really hate the "save something for future opponents" school of coaching.)

I wonder about this. It seems most people agree the coaches phoned this one in (and it seems it's a common occurrence), but at the same time they want to preach effort.

Something is amiss.

• Fire 1

I wonder about this. It seems most people agree the coaches phoned this one in (and it seems it's a common occurrence), but at the same time they want to preach effort.

Something is amiss.

I think there's definitely something to this. There's something to be said for Urban Meyer's decision to go for two against Buffalo on their first two TDs. Buffalo was way overmatched so he came up with something to make it interesting. Got the payers' attention and they ended up winning far more comfortably than Nebraska.

If you know you're just going out there and going through the motions, motivation can be an issue.

This type of approach on defense works when we're a physically superior team but falls apart against equal or stronger opponents. It's getting worse as more and more teams learn how to exploit the system.

Do you have anything to back that up other than popular opinion? Were we physically equal or superior to 2009 Texas? How about Oklahoma in 2009 or 2010?

The D has been below average the last couple years, but it's shown poorly against both strong and weak opponents.

If my memory serves me I think the answer to all three of those games is: Suh.

I agree with you that it's played poorly against most everyone. It's my opinion that we get exposed when facing equal or greater talent.

But then why did we do well in 2010?

Defenses always look better with better players. That was true of McBride's defenses as well. But that's true regardless of scheme.

You could see opposing OCs were figuring out Bo's D in 2010. We gave up a ton of rushing yards, and had poor time of possession, but we were very good in points allowed.

This whole " we are Nebraska" so we will easily win these type of games concept is about the stupidest thing I've ever heard. If there are really players on this team that believe that then I am shocked. Even when we were the Nebraksa that steam rolled everybody,even then those guys worked their asses off everyday and took care of business on Saturdays.

I just don't even see how players could even have this mentality, it doesn't make any sense. I guess it's possible though after hearing there were players losing focus and backing off a bit in the first game of the season. Not sure why your here if that's your mindset.

I see where you are coming from.

Interestingly, your post reveals some great insight. As you refer to the days when NU was really strong, you state, essentially, that they played hard and practiced hard and took the foot off very rarely... they knew that effort was the key. That characterizes a well-coached team. A team whose attitude is "we must out effort all our opponents and play everyone hard... and get better each week."

I agree that such a perspective is foolish for the team to adopt... but that does not mean that that foolish perspective has not been adopted. i think, to a degree anyway... that it has. Perhaps an embarrassment or two more and that attitude will go away. I hope that that would be the response. I think it would help if the coaches would fess up publicly and say "we have been unprepared, out-coached, undisciplined and have played poorly and there can be no excuses... it is not youth, it is not anything but a coaching staff and a team that has to wildly improve in every area." A problem will not be fixed until the problem is identified.

I remember TO justifying running up the score by saying he would not allow any player, even 3rd or 4th string, to put forth anything but maximum effort. I miss the days when NU had a participation count over 100.

The scheme is still at fault, though. Gregory should be unleashed to attack the QB or ball-carrier the majority of plays, but only got the green light to rush on obvious passing plays. On most other plays he was playing patty-cake, too.

It's the same problem we had with Eric Martin. Martin could slice through most OTs and get into the backfield on most every play, but that's not what he was allowed to do. He had to create the containment pocket with the rest of the line most of the time, and that simply doesn't play to his strength.

High-motor guys need to be allowed to break into the backfield as often as practicable or we're not going to get high-motor guys willing to come here.

The fact the we had no sacks against Wyoming says it all.

So you guys think Bo tells his linemen NOT to sack the QB and "doesn't allow" his players to pursue the QB? He'd have to be the only coach at any level...high school, college, NFL...who would be dumb enough to do this.

Can you pass the pipe you're smoking? lol? I want to have hallucinations too :P

All of us have seen the NU DL stop or slow down instead of continuing pursuit. In the bowl game against Washington, two NU DL were pancaked on the same play while standing still.

Dan Hoppen@danhoppen41m

Turner: "We thought they were just going to come in and lay down to us and we were going to kill them and that just wasn’t the case."

Dan Hoppen@danhoppen42m

Jamal Turner doesn't know what happened to NU's energy against Wyoming: "You would think since it’s the opener, guys would be jacked.”

That top statement is exactly what this team did and needed for a wake up call. No one cares if you're Nebraska anymore..................you don't strike fear in the hearts of your opponent like you once did. Stop thinking you're a bada$$ and buckle up your chin strap and put some work in! Don't stop putting that work in until the clock reads :00! Seems pretty damn obvious to me?!

Dan Hoppen@danhoppen41m

Turner: "We thought they were just going to come in and lay down to us and we were going to kill them and that just wasn’t the case."

Dan Hoppen@danhoppen42m

Jamal Turner doesn't know what happened to NU's energy against Wyoming: "You would think since it’s the opener, guys would be jacked.”

Telling quote from Jamal, confirms what many here have been suspecting the last couple of years. This is the worst kind of attitude for a team to take, and there's evidence they've taken this attitude far too often.

Dan Hoppen@danhoppen41m

Dan Hoppen@danhoppen42m

Eesh....well, the fact that we got the win in the way we did could prove to be extremely beneficial from here forward.

Something is amiss.

I think there's definitely something to this. There's something to be said for Urban Meyer's decision to go for two against Buffalo on their first two TDs. Buffalo was way overmatched so he came up with something to make it interesting. Got the payers' attention and they ended up winning far more comfortably than Nebraska.

If you know you're just going out there and going through the motions, motivation can be an issue.

oh, that's just classless.

all kidding aside, the thinking the other team is just gonna roll over for them has to extend into the coaching ranks as well. how else do you explain the offensive play calling? you dont have to be 100% vanilla and still hide the vast majority of your offense. call the plays to put the game out of reach then use your backups.

• Fire 1