Offensive Playcalling

Atbone95

I think we're all in agreement it was flat. Vanilla. Generic. Truthfully, pathetic.

What I'm wondering is if anyone else noticed what I noticed from the stands. Not sure if it's visible on TV, so someone will have to check their DVR. Multiple times in the 2nd half, I saw players coming out of the huddle shaking their heads. They were not at all happy with what was being called in by Beck, which is more than understandable. The most memorable for me is Enunwa's lob to the back corner- right before that play, he came out of the huddle pissed. Looked at the sideline, looked up at the box, shaking his head, saying something, and then walking all the way up to the line of scrimmage. Like I said, this wasn't the only time I watched players come out of the huddle upset. Anyone else see this too??

Can't say I noticed it. Not right of the players to do that, regardless if I agree with them. I think Beck does really great things, then he over thinks and his play calling gets the best of him. His playbook is too big. I can't remember the writer but said NU is good at a lot of things, but not great at any one of them. I buy it, and I'll say it again, the option has to go unless they truly dedicate themselves to it. I still want to think this game plan was by design to not give anything away on film and I expect it to get more fun, for us fans and the players. I don't agree with that theory because if you want to be the best, it doesn't matter if they know what's coming, make them stop it. That's what TOs teams were about.

There were some missed opportunities, TMs decision on one particular zone read left 3 defenders for Ameer to get swallowed up by, instead of keeping it and having a lead blocker with huge daylight. Dropped passes. Penalties. (Can someone explain the Jake Long false start? He moved but the whole line was checking and Taylor wasn't even under center quite yet) It was just a horribly sloppy game and I can only help to think "it's all correctable."

I didn't pay close enough attention to this, so I'll have to take your word for it atbone95. The offense could improve but I'm certainly not thrown off by that first performance. I feel pretty confident that they're going to do what we need them to do this season.

I'm certainly tired of this basic, letting our foot of the gas pedal mentality, though. We should be working full speed, full potential the entire game. The only thing that should change about our offense is who is executing it. If you get up big, you substitute players and keep doing what you do. I've never understood this idea that we need to go soft or simplify the plan if there's no real reason too. We're stacked with upperclassmen whom know this offense and do it, so let them do it. If we get up big, bring in the back-ups.

In regards to the option, I love it, but I've also noticed we don't run it that effectively. Eric Crouch made a comment during the game that when Martinez runs the option, he doesn't move laterally quick enough and doesn't hit the hole hard enough, if it's there. This causes the play to account for only a few yards and often extends the play too much to the sidelines.

I think we're all in agreement it was flat. Vanilla. Generic. Truthfully, pathetic.

What I'm wondering is if anyone else noticed what I noticed from the stands. Not sure if it's visible on TV, so someone will have to check their DVR. Multiple times in the 2nd half, I saw players coming out of the huddle shaking their heads. They were not at all happy with what was being called in by Beck, which is more than understandable. The most memorable for me is Enunwa's lob to the back corner- right before that play, he came out of the huddle pissed. Looked at the sideline, looked up at the box, shaking his head, saying something, and then walking all the way up to the line of scrimmage. Like I said, this wasn't the only time I watched players come out of the huddle upset. Anyone else see this too??

So...let me get this straight. He was pissed that a play was called where he caught a TD pass?

Why even have a huddle if everything is figured after they break and Martinez wanders back and forth from the backfield to the line while looking at the sideline and doing hand jive and stomping his feet?

For Pete's sake, pick a play and let the defense worry about whether THEY have the right answer to what Nebraska runs, and forget all of the soul searching and hand wringing about what the defense looks like it might do.

Why even have a huddle if everything is figured after they break and Martinez wanders back and forth from the backfield to the line while looking at the sideline and doing hand jive and stomping his feet?

For Pete's sake, pick a play and let the defense worry about whether THEY have the right answer to what Nebraska runs, and forget all of the soul searching and hand wringing about what the defense looks like it might do.

Hmmm....interesting....so, you don't want any audibling at the line. I have the feeling some of our best offenses in history would have been average with this philosophy.

I'm relatively hesitant to mention this but it has crossed my mind...

With the D being so inexperienced and vulnerable, would it be in our best interest to slow down the game with our Offense? Huddle up instead of hurry up. We have the athletes on Offense to wear down the opposing Defense. I was thinking a barrage of 4 and 5 yard runs each play. Every play doesn't need to be a home run. Make the drives last about 8 or so minutes rather than trying to score as fast as possible to have the D back out on the field.