Fan skepticism and impatience

I admit, last weekend after the Wyoming game I became really angry and started to believe the cynicism that the seasons outlook was beginning to look very grim. I am among the husker fans who impulsively put whatever is on their mind on a public venue whether it be HB, Huskermax, or any other social media outlet. It wasn't until I re-watched the game and read proverbs 3:21 that I began to see I was not doing anything constructive or helpful to anyone and that we were very close to playing to the level of the Cornhuskers of old. I created this topic as a testimony to the ability of at least one fan to change the way I treat my team rain or shine. I'm gonna stand by my team from this season onward with passionate affection and patient understanding. These players and coaches are going through a tremendous trial every day and I know now to never bash my own team.

I was definitely a little worried both in the first half and all fourth quarter, but I think we need to keep perspective. We managed to put a W on the board and, while it was silly to coast through the fourth, our team looked very strong on offense and there were bright spots on D.

As far as the result, the 2009 Iowa Orange Bowl winning team, which finished #7 in the final rankings, only managed to beat the University of Northern Iowa (an FCS team) by virtue of TWO blocked punts 17-16 in their first game. That team kept building up to its potential in the ensuing season, finding ways to win instead of lose quite often. We should do the same.

It's been beaten to death, but the first game for a defense this young is no time to be throwing in the towel. We have so much time against lesser teams than even Wyoming to turn them from a group of average individuals into a formidable unit. The athleticism is there. Experience is only ever gained through time and practice. They're going to get that this season. We should be thankful we don't have last year's schedule.

I still think we head into November 7-1, which hasn't changed for me. It's what happens after that I'm not longer so certain about.

Some more of that skepticism kicking in; it might be a little wishful thinking to suspect this defense will be running on all cylinders by then. Just going off of the Suh and Company example; it took them an offseason, a full season, and another offseason to really hit their stride when Pelini took over.

But there is a whole host of reasons why we might not need a defense that dominant to do something special this year.

I still think we head into November 7-1, which hasn't changed for me. It's what happens after that I'm not longer so certain about.

Some more of that skepticism kicking in; it might be a little wishful thinking to suspect this defense will be running on all cylinders by then. Just going off of the Suh and Company example; it took them an offseason, a full season, and another offseason to really hit their stride when Pelini took over.

But there is a whole host of reasons why we might not need a defense that dominant to do something special this year.

I agree. I don't think we'll lose more than one but I don't think the wins will be pretty.

My skepticism is at an all-time high. It was quite high after the Ohio State game last year too. Not much has really changed since then.

Until we have some meaningful success, I will continue to be skeptical. And I will continue to be a die-hard fan.

legit take. rack 'em.

Huge Call of the Day