Fan skepticism and impatience

This game wasn't a fluke, Wyoming is a lot better this year then they were last year.

We expected our young D guys to for some reason or another become a historic defense in their first game, yet we expected a somewhat experienced offense to just lay over, and not improve from last year.

Wyoming is in the top 25 by years end, and they probably finish the season with no more than three losses.

Might lose to UCLA, but come november, it will be a much different team than the first 3.

we were very close to playing to the level of the Cornhuskers of old.

Would that be the Cornhuskers of the Bill Jennings era?

Just kidding, but we weren't anywhere close to the mid 90s Cornhuskers no matter how much you squint at the replays, if that's the ones you were talking about.

The post about the Rose Bowl Hawkeyes does put it in good perspective. Had we lost, it really would've put a huge black mark on the season. But even though this game was close, it will be easily forgotten if we keep winning. No goals or hopes for the season were ruined. Certainly the level of play doesn't bode well for facing tougher opponents, but let's see how those games go rather than writing them off.

The post about the Rose Bowl Hawkeyes does put it in good perspective. Had we lost, it really would've put a huge black mark on the season. But even though this game was close, it will be easily forgotten if we keep winning. No goals or hopes for the season were ruined. Certainly the level of play doesn't bode well for facing tougher opponents, but let's see how those games go rather than writing them off.

True, but it did drop us a few spots in the polls. With our schedule we'll have a tough time climbing. If we lose to UCLA we'll likely drop out of the top 25 now. If we go undefeated from there on out, with 1 loss - and a 2nd loss coming in the championship game...we might drop back out of the top 10 and miss a BCS bowl.

It's all hypothetical, but depending on how the season plays out (i'm not exactly confident we can make it through the season with only 1 loss) - we could look back to this game as one of the reasons we're not BCS bowling. We should be sitting at 15-18 right now. Instead we're 22, and any loss is going to be magnified by this game.

Speaking of awesome mid-90s Husker teams, it took a fluke miracle and overtime for #1 Nebraska to beat an unranked Missouri in 1997. On the way to a National Championship.

I think the difference is that you're talking about teams who played uncharacteristically bad. Nebraska is starting to get a characteristically bad look to them, mostly on D but also with ill-timed offensive turnovers and brain farts. When it happens with that frequencey over multiple seasons, you can't rip on the players. It's on the coaches.

Year six and I think fan skepticism and impatience is about where it should be, given the job description of the man who is being paid 3 million dollars, the highest compensated public employee in the state of Nebraska. It's skepticism born from doubt based on historical performance. As a fan I'm still rooting fiercely. But instead of huge expectations I'm just hoping to be surprised by a better than average performance.

It was a little different in '09 when the offense was sputtering and the defense was dominating. It's just hard to see your team get pushed around this way.

Just to show how psychotic this team has me, I'm putting money that the Huskers beat UCLA. Maybe even give them a spanking.

• Fire 1

Skepticism is totally legitimate. Defeatism is premature. Pelini has a lot to prove this year. Especially after that whole "look at our experienced 2012 unit" turned out to be a "thanks for the laughs, fellas" kind of season.

This is actually a great way of putting it. Skepticism is definitely in order. It is the outright defeatism that I see from so many Husker fans that I don't understand. I am always very optimistic about my team. I always think they can win.

This game wasn't a fluke, Wyoming is a lot better this year then they were last year.

We expected our young D guys to for some reason or another become a historic defense in their first game, yet we expected a somewhat experienced offense to just lay over, and not improve from last year.

Wyoming is in the top 25 by years end, and they probably finish the season with no more than three losses.

Might lose to UCLA, but come november, it will be a much different team than the first 3.

I don't know about top 25, but I can see 8-4 from Wyoming. Which means they are a decent team. Even in the MWC

My skepticism is at an all-time high. It was quite high after the Ohio State game last year too. Not much has really changed since then.

Until we have some meaningful success, I will continue to be skeptical. And I will continue to be a die-hard fan.

legit take. rack 'em.

Huge Call of the Day

Yep. Good take.