Offense says they got their wake-up call

knapplc

No questions will be answered against Southern Miss. Look what we did to them last year? Didn't mean anything as the season progressed. We could shut them out, allow 80 on the ground and very few of us would be any more confident going into UCLA. No questions will be answered until mid-November...although a few dominant showing could raise some hope. However, giving up 600+ to UCLA would probably answer the question of whether or not Wyoming was a fluke, or a continuation of our defensive struggles the last 18 months.

Yep. On Saturday, Nebraska just needs to take care of business like they should against the this opponent. Anything in the ~400 yard range would be great. Obviously, I would prefer it to be in the 250-300 yard range, but that'd be unrealistic at this point. Throw on a couple of turnovers and we really shouldn't surrender more than two to three scores.

I want the Oregon O type of mentality. They have the pedal to the metal the WHOLE game. No matter if they are up 3 or 50. Never give the other team any hope (just look at their 66-3 game this weekend).

I do, as well. I said this in another thread, but I believe we should be going full bore, full attack for 60 minutes. The only thing that ever changes is who is executing the offense. If we get up big, bring in the back ups so the likelihood of us scoring and rubbing it in diminishes.

• Fire 1

From Mitch Sherman's piece for ESPN:

Planning for success: Nebraska Cornhuskers

“We blew that,” said Martinez, who played most of the second half with a bruised left shoulder. “It’s a huge wakeup call. We can’t let up at any point, no matter how many points we’re up by. We have to be able to finish.”

Beck said he was dumfounded at times in watching film. For instance, the Huskers smoothly executed one play for a nice gain, he said, only to botch the same call minutes later, resulting in a loss of yardage.

Abdullah, the junior who rushed for a team-high 114 yards, spoke passionately to the team after the opener.

“We have a certain standard that we want to hold on this team,” he said. “I felt, personally, that we didn’t play up to that standard.”

They’re searching for nothing short of domination.

"We can talk about it all we want,” Sirles said, “but until we put it out there in front of the whole world to see, it doesn’t matter.”

This is that troubling lack of consistency that has plagued this team the last few years. Beck's line is especially troubling. We cannot let a team like Wyoming dictate to us late in the game.

This team is too passive, from the O Line not road-grading the man in front of them the whole game to the D Line not working hard every play to get off their blocks. Our punt blocking is pretty much nonexistent.

Overall we play too passive, allowing the opponent to dictate too much to us in all three phases of the game. These coaches need to get let these guys loose, to play with aggression and passion. Too much workman-like drudgery out there.

This is the biggest problem I have with the staff. They make the kids think way to much and don't just trust that their talent will take over. Trust is a two way street whether you are the boss or the player.

From Mitch Sherman's piece for ESPN:

Planning for success: Nebraska Cornhuskers

“We blew that,” said Martinez, who played most of the second half with a bruised left shoulder. “It’s a huge wakeup call. We can’t let up at any point, no matter how many points we’re up by. We have to be able to finish.”

Beck said he was dumfounded at times in watching film. For instance, the Huskers smoothly executed one play for a nice gain, he said, only to botch the same call minutes later, resulting in a loss of yardage.

Abdullah, the junior who rushed for a team-high 114 yards, spoke passionately to the team after the opener.

“We have a certain standard that we want to hold on this team,” he said. “I felt, personally, that we didn’t play up to that standard.”

They’re searching for nothing short of domination.

"We can talk about it all we want,” Sirles said, “but until we put it out there in front of the whole world to see, it doesn’t matter.”

This is that troubling lack of consistency that has plagued this team the last few years. Beck's line is especially troubling. We cannot let a team like Wyoming dictate to us late in the game.

This team is too passive, from the O Line not road-grading the man in front of them the whole game to the D Line not working hard every play to get off their blocks. Our punt blocking is pretty much nonexistent.

Overall we play too passive, allowing the opponent to dictate too much to us in all three phases of the game. These coaches need to get let these guys loose, to play with aggression and passion. Too much workman-like drudgery out there.

This is the biggest problem I have with the staff. They make the kids think way to much and don't just trust that their talent will take over. Trust is a two way street whether you are the boss or the player.

Honestly.....after rewatching the game, I don't know how it could get any more simple for the front 7-8 defenders. We basically stayed in the same set all game. We made some adjustments throughout the game with what players like Gerry were doing. In the second half, we blitzed more which helped with defensive production. But, other than that, there wasn't anything special or complicated about our scheme.

Put me down as another vote for dismissing this as yet more of the same. How many wake-up calls does this team need? And how many times do we need to read the same tripe about how they now finally have gotten it?

I think the team lacks leadership, accountability, desire and motivation. Part of that is on the players for not stepping up and providing those. More of it is on the coaching staff for not building a culture that instills them. But the problem starts at the top. And it's inexplicable to me that with Osborne working just down the hall, Pelini never seems to have gone to him (that I know of) for help with regard to fixing or building that kind of team culture.

Wasn't this the main problem that everyone had with the Cosgrove "read and react" i.e. "get punched in the face and figure out how to respond" defense? I thought we were supposed to be passed this by now...

We brought some sort of blitz or stunt on about half the plays in the first half (I haven't charted the second half). We totally changed our punt scheme to be more aggressive and had a guy averaging about 35 yards per kick return. The offense wasn't the most dynamic but how many times before Saturday have we seen a jet sweep look with Enunwa, a true lead option look, a tight end lined up in the guard-tackle gap in an H-Back look or two tight ends in the diamond formation. I simply do no feel that the statements about being too passive or basically mailing this game in are accurate. They are simply an over-reaction to being unhappy about the result.

They showed a few things like you said, particularly at the goal line, but open the play book he did not. Since your charting it, how many passes over 15? One or two is my guess. The one to Turner on one of our first drives is the only one I can think of that was right around 15, don't remember any others, and I highly doubt those WR bubble screens and handing the ball off 53? times is our our whole offense.

Put me down as another vote for dismissing this as yet more of the same. How many wake-up calls does this team need? And how many times do we need to read the same tripe about how they now finally have gotten it?

I think the team lacks leadership, accountability, desire and motivation. Part of that is on the players for not stepping up and providing those. More of it is on the coaching staff for not building a culture that instills them. But the problem starts at the top. And it's inexplicable to me that with Osborne working just down the hall, Pelini never seems to have gone to him (that I know of) for help with regard to fixing or building that kind of team culture.

It is statements like this that I don't get. You nor I have any idea about the inner workings of the athletic department. You can speculate all you want. BP may have talked to TO everyday of the week about something or another. He may have never talked to him.

But, because you think the team lacks leadership, accountability, desire and motivation than he must never have talked to him. You yourself would say talk is cheap, so why does it matter.

TO didn't start out being this highly respected HC, in fact, many of his first players were very skeptical of his abilities as a HC after having the fiery Devaney. This is straight from one of their mouths.

Remember Tom Osborne didn't become a legendary coach until 1994. Up until then he was just a coach that couldn't win the big one.

I want the Oregon O type of mentality. They have the pedal to the metal the WHOLE game. No matter if they are up 3 or 50. Never give the other team any hope (just look at their 66-3 game this weekend).

You couldn't have picked a team that takes the foot off the gas more than Oregon. They are well known for scoring a bunch in the first half and almost nothing in the second.

It is statements like this that I don't get. You nor I have any idea about the inner workings of the athletic department. You can speculate all you want. BP may have talked to TO everyday of the week about something or another. He may have never talked to him.

But, because you think the team lacks leadership, accountability, desire and motivation than he must never have talked to him. You yourself would say talk is cheap, so why does it matter.

TO didn't start out being this highly respected HC, in fact, many of his first players were very skeptical of his abilities as a HC after having the fiery Devaney. This is straight from one of their mouths.

Remember Tom Osborne didn't become a legendary coach until 1994. Up until then he was just a coach that couldn't win the big one.

Why do you assume I "have no idea" and and simply "speculating?" Neither of those is actually the case.

You seem to be missing the key distinction between talking and doing something. Saying you've finally gotten a wake up call is talking. Discussing issues related to team culture with your AD, who coached for about 30 years, held your current job for about 25 of those years, is one of the winningest coaches in college football history and has a Ph.D in educational psychology is doing something.

And how hard is it to watch one of our blowouts and figure out that there are serious issues with the team's culture? Isn't that pretty much self-evident at this point? And don't the quotes in the original post in this thread and the dozen of so other stories we've read over the past few years about how they finally "get it" make that apparent?

You couldn't have picked a team that takes the foot off the gas more than Oregon. They are well known for scoring a bunch in the first half and almost nothing in the second.

I think you know what Warrior meant.

Yes. His point stands, but it struck me as odd he picked Oregon.

Yes. His point stands, but it struck me as odd he picked Oregon.

And you would pick?

ok....600 yard Bo can have a few more years....giving up 600 yard games.