Santos

Sort of getting concerned about this guy.

I get the feeling that he is getting passed up on the depth chart by two guys. I was very excited about this kid and I'm surprised that it seems like he hasn't taken this position and kept it.

Now it seems like both Banderas and Rose are making a move and nothing is being talked about with Santos.

I like all three. I just hope Santos becomes a major contributor and does what I always thought he could do.

Are others getting the same feeling?

I am getting a lil concerned....but it's showing me that the coaches are going to play guys who will go out and perform. Last year, I saw senior, "more knowledgeable" guys getting PT even if they weren't performing well. I think the staff realizes they have to try other guys and give them a chance, regardless if they are "more knowledgeable".......I see a staff pulling out the punches on defense this season and really trying to focus on playing faster, more athletic guys. Santos's problem is that he has been pretty tentative....not reacting quick enough and making plays....we've all seen him play fairly well, ie. the Michigan game. I think we'll still see Santos, but if Banderas or Rose start showing flashes of brilliance, Santos won't be seeing the field as much IMO.

Maybe by mid-season we see a 4-3 of Santos/Afalava, Banderas/Rose, Zaire/Gerry.

Sort of getting concerned about this guy.

I get the feeling that he is getting passed up on the depth chart by two guys. I was very excited about this kid and I'm surprised that it seems like he hasn't taken this position and kept it.

Now it seems like both Banderas and Rose are making a move and nothing is being talked about with Santos.

I like all three. I just hope Santos becomes a major contributor and does what I always thought he could do.

Are others getting the same feeling?

I'm not sure we have enough evidence to base any judgement on this. We are one game into the season first of all. Secondly, Pelini said there was going to be a lot of mixing and matching personnel. Clearly the defense is a work in progress, but with all the youth out there, they don't completely know what they have. Still fitting the puzzle together.

Santos' natural position on this D is Will LB. He was moved to Mike because that's where Bo thought he would best fit in this current situation. Bo probably didn't think Bando or Rose would be able to step in and play the Mike as frosh (Rose is a RS). This doesn't mean Santos will never contribute for the defense. The guy is only a sophomore!!! I expect the positions and starters to be very fluid depending on performance (both games and practice) and the opponent each week.

I get the feeling that he is playing out of position and has been since being asked to play the Mike. If Bando and Rose are passing him up, then consider me happy to let him play his more natural position. They are just young and needing seasoning.

^^^^This. He is not a Mike. Put him back at his normal Will position and let him play. He was budding as a Will last year and really starting to play well at the end of the year.

Santos' natural position on this D is Will LB. He was moved to Mike because that's where Bo thought he would best fit in this current situation. Bo probably didn't think Bando or Rose would be able to step in and play the Mike as frosh (Rose is a RS). This doesn't mean Santos will never contribute for the defense. The guy is only a sophomore!!! I expect the positions and starters to be very fluid depending on performance (both games and practice) and the opponent each week.

I also agree with this. The defense the past couple of seasons had a few guys that had to play of out position......such as Stein, Meredith and Santos.

I'm not about to throw the towel in on Santos. Playing MLB or not, there was no other true LB next to him. Playing dime the whole game is not an ideal game plan. I would like to see how Santos does with another true LB next to him in the box. Sure, drop one into short-mid range coverage as needed. It's not like WYO or other teams send 4 receivers 20+ yards downfield. Defend the run, help with pass. Let them make plays fast and physical. KISS Keep It Simple Stupid