Bo Pelini Turnovers in Big Games

Nobody

Taylor's rep is now part of the problem, as defensive players might take a swipe at the ball before tackling him, essentially what happened when Wyoming had him standing up, progress stopped on that 4th and 1. They do this with other ball carriers, but probably moreso with Taylor.

I also think it's why Taylor is more cautious when he breaks into the open. He's already looking to go down safely, avoiding injury and turnover. Can't necessarily argue with that, but it's not as fun to watch.

Still haven't seen anything on WHEN Taylor's fumbles were.

If you want to know look it up yourself. Im not going to do a ton of research just to show you. He fumbles alot when hes running the football, thats not hard to figure out. You would have to go back and watch all the games. I think you would be hard pressed to find any stats on when he fumbles. I think the vast majority of his fumbles came running the football, i think thats fairly obvious, but if you dont agree get a pen and paper go watch all 40 of his starts and come back and prove me wrong. Just watching the Michigan State and Wisconsin part 1 recently on BTN all those fumbles were running the football. I cant remember the last time hes fumbled getting hit on a blindsided sack.

Meh, I'm not going to feed you when you obviously would rather bash one player then put ANYTHING on the coach, or the pass pro. You and I both know Taylor fumbled a lot running, but there were a lot more instances where he fumbled while he was in the pocket getting hit due to crappy CRAPPY pass pro. He hasn't had a great pocket at all during his 3 years and that's a big reason he feels the need to do it all himself, making those turnovers. Our line is a great run blocking line, but anyone with eyes knows they'e been substandard at best with passing. Turnovers are on the coach because if it is all on Taylor like you've made very clear, then it's Bo's fault for not addressing it 4 years in. Or is that just blasphemous to call Bo out on anything, whether it be poor D as a defensive guru, losing big games, losing games we shouldn't, etc. When does he get any blame, huh? You seem to think he's perfect when even he acknowledges he has plenty of room to grow and limiting turnovers is one of those areas. Not just one player.

Taylor Martinez is responsible for 75% of the fumbles and INTS. This is a TM problem. Ive never seen any one player have as many problems holding on to the ball, NFL or college, as he does. He's been dead last in the NCAA in fumbles the last THREE YEARS. Don't know how you can even begin to blame ANYONE else. The kid just can't hang onto the ball.

130902143522-taylor-martinez-single-image-cut.jpg

For some reason, Huskers used a worn out football thus no pimples grip and very slick. Equal to wet noodle. Too expensive to buy a new football ?

Taylor-Martinez.jpg

Some quarterbacks just prefer a worn ball. I was the exact same way...hated throwing brand new balls. New footballs often have a slippery feel to them, whereas a worn ball is normally more tacky and easier to grip.

This. His choice of new or old footballs is most certainly a throwing decision. Brand new balls have more can have more of a square feel rather than round and if you have small hands like me it can feel awkward coming out of your hand during a throw. I'm sure they buy better balls than the 8-man ones I had in high school, but even the 'tacky' feeling of a new football has a weird feeling coming off your fingers. Also, worn in balls are usually softer, thus easier to grip. It's comfortable for him.

Being blindsided has never been a good excuse for a QB to fumble.

Tell that to the qb getting nailed before he can protect himself or the ball.

Is there ever a good time to not protect the ball? Let's not forget a huge part of the reason he gets blindsided as often as he does is his pocket awareness, or lack thereof.

Still haven't seen anything on WHEN Taylor's fumbles were.

If you want to know look it up yourself. Im not going to do a ton of research just to show you. He fumbles alot when hes running the football, thats not hard to figure out. You would have to go back and watch all the games. I think you would be hard pressed to find any stats on when he fumbles. I think the vast majority of his fumbles came running the football, i think thats fairly obvious, but if you dont agree get a pen and paper go watch all 40 of his starts and come back and prove me wrong. Just watching the Michigan State and Wisconsin part 1 recently on BTN all those fumbles were running the football. I cant remember the last time hes fumbled getting hit on a blindsided sack.

Meh, I'm not going to feed you when you obviously would rather bash one player then put ANYTHING on the coach, or the pass pro. You and I both know Taylor fumbled a lot running, but there were a lot more instances where he fumbled while he was in the pocket getting hit due to crappy CRAPPY pass pro. He hasn't had a great pocket at all during his 3 years and that's a big reason he feels the need to do it all himself, making those turnovers. Our line is a great run blocking line, but anyone with eyes knows they'e been substandard at best with passing. Turnovers are on the coach because if it is all on Taylor like you've made very clear, then it's Bo's fault for not addressing it 4 years in. Or is that just blasphemous to call Bo out on anything, whether it be poor D as a defensive guru, losing big games, losing games we shouldn't, etc. When does he get any blame, huh? You seem to think he's perfect when even he acknowledges he has plenty of room to grow and limiting turnovers is one of those areas. Not just one player.

Im not bashing Taylor, i like Taylor, he is what he is. But the facts are the facts, he has fumbled more than any other player in college football three years running. Period. Short of not playing Taylor and starting a walk on for the last two years, im not sure how you can blame anyone else but the guy holding the football. Dont see ESPN blaming Tom Coughlin for David Wilson fumbling twice against the cowboys, they blame Wilson. I dont think the staff is perfect, they steadily get better. The fumbles on punt returns imo was a coaching problem last year because mulitple people have the same problem, even the great Kenny Bell. So i can look at that and say, ya thats probably a coaching issue, they probably didnt get enough practice reps, and i think they addressed it, drill it a lot this off season thus hopefully fixing the problem.

If your being serious and you cant tell by watching Taylor the last four years that he has the worst case of butterfingers youve ever seen from a single player, than i dont know what to tell you. I like Taylor, and i dont bash players at all, but you cant ignore the facts.

Taylor has a problem holding onto the ball and he also doesn't have the best pocket awareness. Even when the line gives him time, Taylor doesn't drop back as far as he should, and stays planted too long when the pocket is collapsing. I honestly think his peripheral vision might be limited.

I can say that and still be a big Martinez fan.

Taylor has a problem holding onto the ball and he also doesn't have the best pocket awareness. Even when the line gives him time, Taylor doesn't drop back as far as he should, and stays planted too long when the pocket is collapsing. I honestly think his peripheral vision might be limited.

I can say that and still be a big Martinez fan.

a true statement...he is getting better though...under pressure...we shall see.

Couple different things Army. Responding to pressure is purely mental. Protecting the ball and increasing pocket awareness is technique. I think Taylor has handled the pressure well, that's why he's led so many come from behind victories. He still looks like he could use coaching on his footwork and dropbacks.

I think Taylor Martinez played a "put the game on himself" style in high school and from Game One at Nebraska. The fans didn't exactly create that. That's just who he is, and it's what the haters hate and the lovers love about him.

• Fire 1

Couple different things Army. Responding to pressure is purely mental. Protecting the ball and increasing pocket awareness is technique. I think Taylor has handled the pressure well, that's why he's led so many come from behind victories. He still looks like he could use coaching on his footwork and dropbacks.

I think Taylor Martinez played a "put the game on himself" style in high school and from Game One at Nebraska. The fans didn't exactly create that. That's just who he is, and it's what the haters hate and the lovers love about him.

True. +1

I just get flustered when no blame at all goes on coaches when it comes to turnovers. They've been an issue for Bo since before Tmart was here.