Would you have benched Martinez for a series?

My fellow game watchers and I were kind of wavering back and forth on this.

Do you think it would have fired him up to be benched for a series in the third quarter and have Armstrong or RK3 play a series? Even if it was a punt? Does Martinez get the hint, or does that just make him play worse?

Obviously we'll never find out.

Do you think it would have fired him up to be benched for a series in the third quarter and have Armstrong or RK3 play a series? Even if it was a punt? Does Martinez get the hint, or does that just make him play worse?

If it was up to me, Armstrong would've been in for a lot more than a series.

It's unfortunate that this question would need to be posed for a four year starter at quarterback, but Martinez has a history of turnovers and the way our offense stalls, I question his leadership. I'm ready to see Armstrong.

The coaches have not developed a backup QB. For well... years now it has been TMart --- even when ahead by a ton (or like today when behind in a blow out) NU under Pelini essentially never gives the backup time. So...

you cannot bring a kid in (Kellogg or especially Armstrong) w/ zero experience (essentially) --- into a nationally televised game where the opposition is dominating. The likelihood for failure is too great and the kids confidence will be shot before he gets a chance.

If you want a backup QB to come in when you need his... well you better prep him through experience when you did not need him (but were developing him).

So... the point. Pelini has not equipped NU with an option at QB other than TMart.

What kind of hint are you looking for him to get? You think he's not trying hard enough, or what? There are 21 other guys on the field, 11 of which are trying as hard as they possibly can to defeat him, and 10 of which need to perform at their best for Martinez to succeed. It's not like Martinez can decide to play better and better results will happen.

On a good number of plays he had someone in his face almost as soon as he dropped back. Maybe we should've benched the O-line for a series?

Martinez is not the problem. He is fine.

He is hobbled somehow as his speed is not there. And he still is a fumble waiting to happen. But he is effort, grit and hard working. And he has many positive attributes. I do agree that he is not himself mobility wise. Hope he gets better.

NU needs to start developing Armstrong for next year. He should be in a series or two a game and whenever NU is well ahead or well behind in a blowout. That is not anything against Martinez... it is a roster management issue preparing for the future.

What kind of hint are you looking for him to get? You think he's not trying hard enough, or what? There are 21 other guys on the field, 11 of which are trying as hard as they possibly can to defeat him, and 10 of which need to perform at their best for Martinez to succeed. It's not like Martinez can decide to play better and better results will happen.

On a good number of plays he had someone in his face almost as soon as he dropped back. Maybe we should've benched the O-line for a series?

No, I think he was unfocused and trying to force too many plays when things were going badly.

Benching a QB might also be a signal to the line that they aren't doing their jobs.

Is his ego so fragile that he can't handle being benched for a series?