Monday Morning Press Conference

epocSoN

Our team has been emotionally fragile for quite some time. 2009 was the last year we responded very well at all to adversity. The team folded after UCLA's QB broke a couple of tackles for a first down which eventually ended in a TD at the end of the first half. Athletically, we're fine. Mentally, we're far from fine. The mental side is where we need vast improvement. We can't just recruit away this problem.

You realize the team last season stood in the face of adversity multiple times and came out on top right?.......

[ am sure you are not counting Wisconsin and Georgia, right?

That's not the point. Knock it off. You know what's being said.

I like Ameers response in regards to the fans expectations.

Our expectations don't mean a damn thing to the players, and they shouldnt. The team and the players are hurt far more than us fans with games like that. Our feelings shouldn't matter a damn bit to anybody on that team.

It's interesting to me that Martinez takes so much heat, and rightfully so, yet Ameer gets virtually no criticism. No one questions Ameer's leadership even though he seems to always fumble/muff punts in crucial situations. We were not likely to overcome UCLA but leave it to Ameer to fumble at the 5 to ensure we have nothing positive in the second half. He runs hard and gives great effort, but i'm not sure why he's still the starter based on what i've seen from Cross and Newby. and i get it, a total team failure, but I've seen enough of Ameer fumbling.

Ameer has had a very disappointing season thus far. Cross has clearly out performed him, yet finds himself on the bench for the better part of the game.

Abdullah has almost started the year out with 3 100 yard games (got 98 against UCLA). He's on pace for over 1300 yards for the season. He hasn't met expectations, but he hasn't been a disappointment. Hell, only a handful of guys on offense have come close to meeting or exceeding expectations (Newby, Cross, Enunwa, and Bell are the only ones off the top of my head). The whole offense has been a disappointment more than any individual players.

I don't put much weight on getting 100yds vs wyoming and southern miss especially when those yards on coming 1 or 2 long runs. for the most part, Ameer has been kept in check. Not entirely his fault, the line has done him no favors, they get virtually no push, but our mismanagement of the RB position continues....

I was at the game, so i couldn't actually see the hit from Barr but Ameer needs to hold onto the ball. he simply has a long history of fumbling, especially at crucial times.

Completely agree with this. There was nothing about UCLA's athletes that impressed me compared to ours. It wasn't about the athleticism, it was about the effort.

UCLA came prepared to play four tough quarters of football. The Huskers were ready to play maybe 1/3 of that.

Happens all the time.

Yep. I have full confidence that adjustments and the like are made during football games, but there's obviously a disconnect somewhere and I don't think it has much to do with athleticism, talent or physical ability, because those adjustments don't carry over from the locker room or sidelines.

I hate to speculate about practices and everything else we never see that much, but plenty of people seem to think we practice "soft." I have no personal ability to confirm or deny this, but it's becoming a common idea.

I haven't been to practice this year, but I was last year and in past years and I have yet to see full to-the-ground physical practices............

Being publicly defensive in response to criticism is a terrible look for a coach at a big program. It's nothing but detrimental. Saying "we don't need him" about the Frazier thing is just fanning the flames. Just say he's entitled to his opinion, and move on. It's like when Papuchis gets a simple question from a fan about adjusting expectations after the UCLA loss last year, and he completely loses his cool and fires back in an emotional way. It doesn't fix anything and just looks ridiculous. You coach at a prestigious football program with millions of fans. That's why you make more money than 99.99% of everyone in the world. On the flip side, when you fail, you will get scrutinized. To expect otherwise is absurd.

so, sh#t canning Beck's dream of being multiple...probably a damn good idea, even if we don't sh#t can Beck...a little more Imani, until the defenses show they can stop him would be helpful too...anything but 3 and outs....sheeesssh

this is what is so frustrating. you are up 21-3. just give a heavy dose of cross, ameer, and newby. only throw on 3rd and 5 or more. play ball control. make them stop the run and then crush them with a play action.

it should be so much simpler. imo.

Being publicly defensive in response to criticism is a terrible look for a coach at a big program. It's nothing but detrimental. Saying "we don't need him" about the Frazier thing is just fanning the flames. Just say he's entitled to his opinion, and move on. It's like when Papuchis gets a simple question from a fan about adjusting expectations after the UCLA loss last year, and he completely loses his cool and fires back in an emotional way. It doesn't fix anything and just looks ridiculous. You coach at a prestigious football program with millions of fans. That's why you make more money than 99.99% of everyone in the world. On the flip side, when you fail, you will get scrutinized. To expect otherwise is absurd.

well said

How can you say ameer has been disappointing. When you only play 1 half against a Wyoming team and 17 carries against Southern Miss. Of coarse his numbers don't look all that good. Taylor has how many dumb bone head plays already this year. I would take AA over TMagic for my back field any day.

He only played 1 half against wyoming because when he went out there was zero drop-off. some might argue improvement. Southern Miss is unimportant. I'm just disappointed because i thought we would see him take the next step as the feature back and I don't feel like we've seen that at all. I still think he's a very good back, i was just expecting a little more.

so, sh#t canning Beck's dream of being multiple...probably a damn good idea, even if we don't sh#t can Beck...a little more Imani, until the defenses show they can stop him would be helpful too...anything but 3 and outs....sheeesssh

this is what is so frustrating. you are up 21-3. just give a heavy dose of cross, ameer, and newby. only throw on 3rd and 5 or more. play ball control. make them stop the run and then crush them with a play action.

Exactly. That is my definition of conservative offense.

You know what else is really simple? Zone pass coverage. would do wonders on occasion for this team. unfortunately, we are still trying to cover WR's with LB's and blaming it on youth. Also, we may want to line up and actually get set for goal line defense. just a few thoughts.....

well said

Maybe so, but if it wouldve been any other former player in the history of the program making them remarks, Bo's answere would probably have been different. Probably a simple "I dont worry about that stuff" or "I'm not gonna address that". Bo made a point to comment on it today, and didnt shy away from that at all. Clearly, Bo and Tommie have an axe to grind with each other. I'm sure some of it stems from when Brion was here. But also, Frazier is a prick. An open prick. (2 pages on this) Does he have a right to his opinion? You bet. Does our coach have a right to disagree with it publicly? You damn right.

well said

Maybe so, but if it wouldve been any other former player in the history of the program making them remarks, Bo's answere would probably have been different. Probably a simple "I dont worry about that stuff" or "I'm not gonna address that". Bo made a point to comment on it today, and didnt shy away from that at all. Clearly, Bo and Tommie have an axe to grind with each other. I'm sure some of it stems from when Brion was here. But also, Frazier is a prick. An open prick. (2 pages on this) Does he have a right to his opinion? You bet. Does our coach have a right to disagree with it publicly? You damn right.

I tend to agree with you, but it just puts Bo in the middle of something he shouldn't be wasting a breath on. he has enough other issues to discuss and fix, not pick fights with Tommie, who for the record, has actually done something of substance during his time at Nebraska.

"If he feels like that, so be it. We don’t need him. That’s a shame." - Bo Pelini on Tommie Frazier's harsh words of program

...or maybe NU does need someone like Tommy Frazier to call out the players and coaches, but someone is not intelligent enough (or too arrogant) to see it.

I would rather see Bo go and Tommy stick around.