NCAA announces easing of sanctions against Penn State

knapplc

NOTE - Our regular prohibition against Penn State / Jerry Sandusky bashing stands. This isn't the thread for that. Don't even start.

This is a positive development for the conference. With the people who perpetrated this crime either moving on or moving to jail, and with Penn State making positive strides in the aftermath, the NCAA has announced that some of the bans/restrictions are being eased, if not outright lifted:

Executive Committee to gradually restore

Penn State scholarships

Mitchell commends university’s continued progress, commitment to improvement

Due to Penn State University’s continued progress toward ensuring athletics integrity, the NCAA Executive Committee is gradually restoring football scholarships the university lost because of sanctions more than a year ago. These changes were endorsed by the Division I Board of Directors and based on the recommendation of George Mitchell, the independent Athletics Integrity Monitor for Penn State and former U.S. Senator.

Beginning next academic year (2014-15), five additional initial scholarships will be restored to the university’s football team. This amount will continue to increase until they reach the full allocation of 25 initial in 2015-16 and 85 total football scholarships in 2016-17.

LINK to full release

Some reactions around the twitter to this announcement:

@DanWetzel

Easing of restrictions increases chance Bill O'Brien stays at PSU. Five scholarships back also big. Current class has just one DL and no OLs

@DanWetzel

Also good publicity for Penn State, where everyone is committed to doing the right thing at this point. Expect bowl ban lifted next year

The penalties against Penn State were lame anyways. I get the idea of the NCAA forcing a "house cleaning" event in which any and all of the people associated with running the football program were let go. Leadership beyond the football program, board of regents or whatever. I get that too. But to say that you are going to limit scholarships doesn't make sense.

Maybe this is just step one to getting rid of the punishment altogether. Like one of those..... OK, you served three of the four years without furhter incident. We will let you off, but we're watching you close... kind of deal.

It's nice that they did this but it is just another example of how inept these people are. They admit to overreacting with the level of sanctions and yet had people on the take with regards to Miami. They don't know if they are afoot or horseback. And we expect them to do anything with the best interests of the students and fair play in mind?

Nutless

Cowardly

a-hole

Association

I'm glad to see this happening for Bill O'Brien and for that entire university after what they went through. The real perpetrators here are either no longer there or in jail. I say good on the NCAA in this case.

Good for O'Brien, but what message does this send? If you get caught you can get your penalties reduced if you show progress? They're just going to encourage more programs to toe the line now. I agree with Knapp. This has to be related to the Miami mess.