I don't really know anything about his situation but my golf buddy from Oklahoma said we should try and get Art Briles from Baylor. What little you can gather from Baylor's record it's at least an interesting name to throw out.

We already have a team that plays poor defense. Mot sure how much better it would get by hiring a coach that stresses no defense.

I don't want him fired. I want him to do the job he was hired to do. Learn from his mistakes, take recruiting as his (and I mean his) number one mission, hire qualified coordinators to do their jobs and let them. Over see the program, make it all work. Become more of an ambassador for the University, than an antagonist.

As stated he has made progress, but there is a lot of work to do on his part. He is paid a lot of money, has strong fan support, great facilities and history and tradition to sell. This job should be an end of journey job, it was not a couple of years ago, if it is today remains to be seen.

Bo got a chance here he did not deserve, was not qualified for. He has not been a shining example of the best coach in the country.

If we change, it has to be someone with college head coaching experience, if not we will be in the same situation again as we have for the last three. Doing the same thing over and over spells something, you fill in the blank.

Do you guys believe that this an on the job training program.

Coach Osborne was within the program, had been doing the offense for awhile, knew Nebraska and its traditions, past and was endorsed by a MNC coach. I guess you could say the same for Solich if you do not consider his other problems.

Bo had been an assistant under Miles and Stoops, family friend. Promoted heavily by Stoops for the job. Bo had zero head coaching experience, zero recruiting experience. He had a major booster that was behind him being hired, that agreed to pay off the Peterson Clownahan bills. Bo had problems before he left here the first time with his incident with Coach Snyder, his less than stellar control of players at the Bowl game, and questionable recruiting/discussions of/with Nebraska players while at Oklahoma. Most of this due to immaturity. Those are the reasons I did not want him as our head coach, other reasons that I do not discuss.

But Bo has done a far better job on the program side than I ever expected. I thought we would have continuous NCAA infraction problems with him. He has done a tremendous job with the kids in graduation rates, raising grades and been a stand up guy.

I do not want him fired. I do not think this program can stand another change and ever become relevant again. But if we do, it has to be someone who has done the job before, no more trainees. So no I do not feel he was qualified for the job, and really still isn't, but he is working towards it. And I am not a wins and losses guy. I really do not care about the 10 win magic number. I care about how we play, who we are as a team, and where we are headed. I was not impressed with last year in that regard. Not impressed with this year either, but we are young. If we win out he will have done far better than I expect. If he loses 5-6 games and keeps them respectable, I will still be here supporting him. He just needs to do better job on the blow outs for me. If they continue, we are not moving forward, treading water, and I can see him being gone.

Like I said, I never wanted him hired, but do not want him fired. No matter who endorsed him. I will not want a replacement of equal value to be our head coach, IE Scott Frost. Who I like a lot.

This is business, big business, we need to start understanding that. You want to win in college football, you have to play with the big boys, you want to beat Bama and the likes you need coaches that have the ability and you need to open the check book to get them. Not let a booster dictate who you hire or fire. This university has the money to be a big boy. Just depends on what the fans will accept.

UConn jus fired their head coach, blood in the water.

I guess the questions that beg to be asked are: What level of prior dishonesty is considered permissible for a potential Nebraska coaching hire? At what point are we willing to look the other way in our pursuit for success? Help me out here, because isn't that what I'm reading?

Well stated. Tressel and Petrino should get no consideration whatsoever.

They both did bad things, and IMHO, Petrino's was worse. I have the utmost distaste for people that cheat on their significant others, or selfishly hurt their families in the name of a young woman/man and a good time. That said, they've both paid their price and deserve a shot somewhere, and I wouldn't be up in arms if that place turned out to be Nebraska.

And junior, I definitely agree there are more lucrative locations for a coach than Nebraska. We all know that. We've got quite a few disadvantages. But, I do take solace in the fact that we could pay him just about whatever he wanted. And I'd still put Nebraska at a Top 15 job in the country. But, I don't think you can make a potential coach's desire to leave a significant factor in your hiring process, unless it's blatantly obvious he's looking to jump somewhere. Why? Look at Saban. Alabama fans are slowly becoming terrified that he may bolt for the blemished portion of his career - the NFL. While it's important to take into consideration a person's long term goals, I think you take that risk with just about any hire.

Off the top of my head, the only jobs I don't think you would ever bail out on are USC, Alabama, LSU or Texas. But, I could even see someone bailing Alabama/LSU in favor of Texas.

MY mom worked with Craig Bohls wife, and she told her that Bohl was cheating on her.

No one has mentioned John Gruden. Thats my dream coach. Has he talked about going back into caoching? He has been out a pretty long time now

Yes I believe that Bohl is divorced because of this.

I have never understood the love affair with Gruden. Not saying he is or isn't a great coach, but he had what 2-3 decent years at Oakland when they had some talent and then he moved to Tampa and won the Super Bowl with a team that Tony Dungy built. Then the team slowly slid into mediocrity and he was fired. I guess I have never thought he is that great a coach. Yeah, he looks like Chuckie and can scowl with the best of them, but meh, I don't get the love affair some have with him. It is like Herm Edwards or Ray Rhodes or Brian Billick I just don't see why he is thought of being so great.

And the boom. Awesome perspective on Gruden, and spot on in my opinion. Ever wonder why he never got back into coaching? Why would he and risk ruining the legacy he built.

Jesus folks. So many cant stand Bo's demeanor and the way he acts then they turn around beg for Gruden. It's ridiculous. Then some want Bohl back. Give a break. Might as well bring Solich back to then. Yes, it's the same thing.

Like I said, I never wanted him hired, but do not want him fired. No matter who endorsed him. I will not want a replacement of equal value to be our head coach, IE Scott Frost. Who I like a lot.

This is business, big business, we need to start understanding that. You want to win in college football, you have to play with the big boys, you want to beat Bama and the likes you need coaches that have the ability and you need to open the check book to get them. Not let a booster dictate who you hire or fire. This university has the money to be a big boy. Just depends on what the fans will accept.

UConn jus fired their head coach, blood in the water.

I understand that you don't want him fired and I don't either. However I don't believe you can use one argument as supporting a past coach and dismiss the same argument that also applies for another.

Sure, the University makes a lot of money as a result of our football program. However, when we are talking about student-athletes, I'm going to need more convincing that this is a true business.

I get what you are saying, but I think I read somewhere we have the highest ticket prices in the country. How many millions in budget does the athletic department operate on, and we are in the black, taking nothing from the state. Somewhere we are making more money. And were not even in the top ten of college programs, and Texas more than doubles our budget. It is big business. The amount of money is staggering when you think about it.

I get what you are saying, but I think I read somewhere we have the highest ticket prices in the country. How many millions in budget does the athletic department operate on, and we are in the black, taking nothing from the state. Somewhere we are making more money. And were not even in the top ten of college programs, and Texas more than doubles our budget. It is big business. The amount of money is staggering when you think about it.

I'm curious as to the relevance of the above.

I understand that you don't want him fired and I don't either. However I don't believe you can use one argument as supporting a past coach and dismiss the same argument that also applies for another.

Sure, the University makes a lot of money as a result of our football program. However, when we are talking about student-athletes, I'm going to need more convincing that this is a true business.

I agree. I thought, and still think, Pelini was an above average hire. There are obviously more qualified head coaches out there, but Pelini's resume was pretty good before he came here.

Just for clarification, I don't want Pelini fired, but that's not going to stop me from saying someone like Petrino would be a good hire if Pelini left in the near future.

I hate working in hypotheticals, but consider this. Let's say another program and Nebraska both wanted Petrino at year's end, and for whatever reason, Petrino had Nebraska as his first choice. We pass on him for moralistic reasons and hire somebody with a less impressive resume, but our hire is a "good guy." Petrino goes to the other program and has them winning conference titles in a couple years and competing for national titles, while Nebraska lingers in that 9-10 win range. TONS of fans would be sitting at home thinking "maybe we should've hired that guy..."

Is Nebraska willing to sacrifice a little moral integrity to win again? I know it sounds awful, but a high level program is likely going to come calling for Petrino in the future. I think many underestimate this state's desire to win, and many have forgiven and forgotten about Petrino's transgressions. It's just something to think about. Does the program settle for a less impressive coach in the name of integrity or make a bold move to win? I'd be interested to see how it played out if that scenario ever came to fruition.

I agree. I thought, and still think, Pelini was an above average hire. There are obviously more qualified head coaches out there, but Pelini's resume was pretty good before he came here.

Just for clarification, I don't want Pelini fired, but that's not going to stop me from saying someone like Petrino would be a good hire if Pelini left in the near future.

I hate working in hypotheticals, but consider this. Let's say another program and Nebraska both wanted Petrino at year's end, and for whatever reason, Petrino had Nebraska as his first choice. We pass on him for moralistic reasons and hire somebody with a less impressive resume, but our hire is a "good guy." Petrino goes to the other program and has them winning conference titles in a couple years and competing for national titles, while Nebraska lingers in that 9-10 win range. TONS of fans would be sitting at home thinking "maybe we should've hired that guy..."

Is Nebraska willing to sacrifice a little moral integrity to win again? I know it sounds awful, but a high level program is likely going to come calling for Petrino in the future. I think many underestimate this state's desire to win, and many have forgiven and forgotten about Petrino's transgressions. It's just something to think about. Does the program settle for a less impressive coach in the name of integrity or make a bold move to win? I'd be interested to see how it played out if that scenario ever came to fruition.

I am not in the slightest above giving people second chances.

I told someone in a PM awhile ago while I served my time in HuskerBoard jail that we have the resources and meaning to hire anyone we really want. If we decided to look in another direction and we bought Saban I have no doubt that we would win a lot of football games. But the sanctity of this place would be gone if the coach would run it like an SEC program. For example do we want to:

1) Treat kids like cattle and cut scholarships to non-contributors

2) Blatantly cheat in recruiting

3) Have numerous off the field issues

The first two are the ones you could all but guarantee and I am personally not about that.

Tom Osborne was all about winning. He was. But it wasn't that you won, it was the journey to the win; some call it "the process."

Like I said, we could hire a guy like that and sell our souls to win, but then you may as well take the "In the Deed, the Glory," off of those stadium walls.

• Fire 3