Bo and Paps

The problems we had today with the run were pursuit angles and really nothing more. Not nearly as many missed assignments.

<snip>

Pursuit angles pursuit angles pursuit angles.

More bad angles from C Cooper. Really not sure why everyone keeps saying he's playing well. He might be playing the best of any of them but that's not saying a lot. Though Green was better today and Alexander showed promise.

The problems we had today with the run were pursuit angles and really nothing more. Not nearly as many missed assignments.

<snip>

More bad angles from C Cooper. Really not sure why everyone keeps saying he's playing well. He might be playing the best of any of them but that's not saying a lot. Though Green was better today and Alexander showed promise.

I need to watch it again, but I noticed with CC that he would take his pursuit angle, but either our DE or OLB wouldn't maintain outside leverage so it made it look like CC was the culprit. Gregory doesn't set the edge very well at all against the run. I see why he doesn't get a BlackShirt.

Until that last garbage drive when we were literally f'ing around trying to get new faces in the game against their tempo and so on, we had held them to 10 points and less than 300 yards. Not to mention, there was a couple instances where the D rose up to get a stop when Illinios had opportunities to flip the momentum UCLA style. I needed to see progress-not the finished product, just progress-today and I got it.

JJ, I wasnt specifically calling you out as a pessemist either, just so you know. I was just making a general statement of some of the thoughts about todays game. Also, I relate a lot of what I here from around home here, as opposed to just on the board. I here a lot of stupid ass sh#t outside the board.

Running Valentine off the field against the no-huddle wasn't the best idea.

I probably just don't know enough about the scheme and x's and o's of the qhole deal so, I'll take you at your word that pursuit angles are a lot of the problem. I guess that makes some sense because we were noticeably more athletic than Illinois so it stands to reason that angles may have been the problem. However there is a more glaring basic problem too. Wrapping and tackling on initial contact. We have got to get better at bringing the guy with the rock down and preferably before it's the second or third guy getting to him. Some of that could also be angles and not hitting the guy square but it sure seems, in many cases, like we're just being a bit wimpy. I'd like to see more hits with bad intentions ala Stanford. I can live with aggression penalties as long as we're being mean and aggressive nearly every down.

<snip>

I need to watch it again, but I noticed with CC that he would take his pursuit angle, but either our DE or OLB wouldn't maintain outside leverage so it made it look like CC was the culprit. Gregory doesn't set the edge very well at all against the run. I see why he doesn't get a BlackShirt.

No. Several times he's come up to make a play only to get out-flanked. Needs to take wider angles.

Most of bo's fustrations had to be the substitution and alignment issues. I doubt he fired pap on the spot. Personally I thought it was hilarious to see a graduate assistant turned dc getting beat down by his boss. Bo got just what he hired...a work in progress...lol.

A work in progress. Exactly. Who knows, 2-3 years from we'll be looking back at these moments and conversations and laughing our asses off.

<snip>

No. Several times he's come up to make a play only to get out-flanked. Needs to take wider angles.

I think the same thing. Some instances a case could be made for what EZ said, but overall, Cooper appears to have spent to much time as understudy to the Notorious Damion Stafford. He's been a dissappointment thus far. DE setting edge or not, isnt it basic defense to use the boundry and play outside-in?

&lt;snip&gt;

While that could be, I remember several times where CC would have made the perfect read had Our OLB or DE set the edge like he should have. Like I said I'll have to watch it again.

I honestly liked what I saw from Leroy Alexander. He needs to get a ton stronger though.

I think the same thing. Some instances a case could be made for what EZ said, but overall, Cooper appears to have spent to much time as understudy to the Notorious Damion Stafford. He's been a dissappointment thus far. DE setting edge or not, isnt it basic defense to use the boundry and play outside-in?

Unfortunately I see a lot of the same. A big play or two here and there but a lot more misses.