Reality check for a die hard...

What has to change is being 107th out of 123 in total defense allowed through four games. (not counting Illinois)
Now we're T-98 so you should be happy we're moving the right direction, right? at that rate we'll be 36th by the CCG.

It takes a top 10 rating defensively to have any significant relevancy with regard to impact of wins and losses.

What has to change is being 107th out of 123 in total defense allowed through four games. (not counting Illinois)
Now we're T-98 so you should be happy we're moving the right direction, right? at that rate we'll be 36th by the CCG.

It takes a top 10 rating defensively to have any significant relevancy with regard to impact of wins and losses.

No it doesn't.

Oh well it doesn't matter as its a web forum.... Most people on this board probably didn't attend the game, left early, turned off the tv in the third quarter, or flat didn't watch at all. I can't wait to see us play next week but it absolutely pains me to see so many fundamental mistakes on the field and a stadium a third empty. Just hope bo does what's necassary soon. Ask wisconsin how that new oline coach midseason is worked out.....

I'd guess that 45 degrees with 30 mph steady winds is pretty uncomfortable for people who just sweated through 87 degrees and high humidity on Friday. You may be incredibly tough, and the 80 percent of fans that saw the final seconds along with you, but if you underestimated these conditions by a layer you were going home early.

Watched until the game switched to Miami/GT. There was a number of things that concerned me with Illinois' last drive, mainly the fact that everyone looked disinterested. But we were up by 27 with 5 minutes left. It would have been better to play and finish the entire game, but the last 5 minutes shouldn't take away from the first 55.

We have a game against a not good Purdue team next week, followed by a bye. Then a game against an alright, leaning towards not good, Minnesota before the meat of the schedule comes up. That's 3 more weeks of learning for the defense against 2 teams with bad offenses and a bye. That's a lot of time for improvement.

Yeah, I think we'll be fine until November. I watched Iowa take apart Minnesota and the best I can tell you about those two teams is that I expect the Huskers to handle them comfortably.

I agree with the OP. In Bo's 1st two years I blamed the lack of discipline (penalties, poor special teams, turnovers, etc) on the fact that Bo's number one priority was improving a terrible defense. Four years later, and Bo's teams show no improvement in these areas, with the exception of penalties on the OL.

Yes, there was a "jump" this week, a noticeable improvement on defense, but that is because the NU defense was dreadful. NU will not get to the top 10 until Bo fields a disciplined team.

last couple weeks 9 out of 10 on this board would have been agreeing w/ the OP, now 1 decent showing against a mediocre opponent and all of a sudden this team/staff is beyond question again...

this fan base rides the roller coaster of ups and downs even higher and lower than our team...and that's sayin something because they're all over the place

Get used to it, because this will be the sentiment until November. Then we can see how good this team really is...unfortunately, I think we are all going to be disappointed with the results.

Came back today to survey the gif bombing carnage. Disappointed.

Me too, and I voted that it shouldn't be done... Anyway, how do you post those things, I'm sold...

Also empty stadiums are nothing new. Watch some of these other "top" programs, no one is left by the end if its a blow out. Lots of people left with 5 minutes to go, still over 50% full at the end IMO. Not agreeing with it, just pointing out we DO look good on TV with 45K+ people in the stands with less than 5 minutes to go.

I just read this article, and this is one of my top concerns. NU must stop the run to be a great program.

http://www.suntimes....ver-lining.html

Illinois’ biggest negative offensively in September was its inability to establish a traditional, between-the-tackles running game. Against the Huskers, the line more than held its own, driving impressively off the ball and opening up some gaping holes as Josh Ferguson and Donovonn Young combined for 34 carries, 186 yards and two touchdowns.

I just read this article, and this is one of my top concerns. NU must stop the run to be a great program.

Illinois’ biggest negative offensively in September was its inability to establish a traditional, between-the-tackles running game. Against the Huskers, the line more than held its own, driving impressively off the ball and opening up some gaping holes as Josh Ferguson and Donovonn Young combined for 34 carries, 186 yards and two touchdowns.

This was the most disturbing part of the game to me. This was Illinois. What's going to happen when we go up against some good O lines and good rushing attacks? But apparently concerns like that after a nice victory make you a naysayer, pessimist, and negative nancy.

It could be, and I'm just spitballing here, that people want a day to enjoy a victory where the team showed improvements without being told the obvious things we all know are still there. Nobody likes douchebag posts that piss on everyone's parade the day after a victory, especially one where the team actually took a couple steps forward. Save it until Monday or something, ffs.

• Fire 1

Illinois' biggest negative offensively in September was its inability to establish a traditional, between-the-tackles running game. Against the Huskers, the line more than held its own, driving impressively off the ball and opening up some gaping holes as Josh Ferguson and Donovonn Young combined for 34 carries, 186 yards and two touchdowns.

This was the most disturbing part of the game to me. This was Illinois. What's going to happen when we go up against some good O lines and good rushing attacks? But apparently concerns like that after a nice victory make you a naysayer, pessimist, and negative nancy.

The thing is, coming into this game we didn't know how good (or bad) Illinois was. Illinois played #16 Washington a pretty tight game. They looked pretty good in their other three games, all wins. Before the game I was worried that Illinois might be better this year than the doormat we've seen in the past. Turns out, they're still a doormat.

Illinois' biggest negative offensively in September was its inability to establish a traditional, between-the-tackles running game. Against the Huskers, the line more than held its own, driving impressively off the ball and opening up some gaping holes as Josh Ferguson and Donovonn Young combined for 34 carries, 186 yards and two touchdowns.

The thing is, coming into this game we didn't know how good (or bad) Illinois was. Illinois played #16 Washington a pretty tight game. They looked pretty good in their other three games, all wins. Before the game I was worried that Illinois might be better this year than the doormat we've seen in the past. Turns out, they're still a doormat.

I agree that Illinois is still a doormat, but I believe the Illini offense is much better than any the Huskers have faced outside of UCLA. I am very annoyed that I couldn't watch the game because of ESPNU, but from what I have read on this board, Bo decided to let the DL be much more aggressive, which is a good thing IMHO.

It could be, and I'm just spitballing here, that people want a day to enjoy a victory where the team showed improvements without being told the obvious things we all know are still there. Nobody likes douchebag posts that piss on everyone's parade the day after a victory, especially one where the team actually took a couple steps forward. Save it until Monday or something, ffs.

JQB7k.gif