Recruiting Concerns

RyanBartow247@RyanBartow 12h

#PennState, #Pitt, #Nebraska are the Top 3 for LB Jake Cooper. VIP: http://247sports.com/Article/Jake-Cooper-figures-to-pick-up-more-offers-in-the-coming-months-163156 … @Panther_247 @Lions247

Cooper has Nebraska in his top 3 and does not even have an offer from the Huskers.

Me: Magic 8 ball, is 2015 going to be a special class?

Magic 8 ball: All signs point to Yes

RyanBartow247@RyanBartow 12h

#PennState, #Pitt, #Nebraska are the Top 3 for LB Jake Cooper. VIP: http://247sports.com/Article/Jake-Cooper-figures-to-pick-up-more-offers-in-the-coming-months-163156 … @Panther_247 @Lions247

Cooper has Nebraska in his top 3 and does not even have an offer from the Huskers.

Me: Magic 8 ball, is 2015 going to be a special class?

Magic 8 ball: All signs point to Yes

Kid is pretty all over though (which is fine as a jr) but before we get real excited he says he wants to go visit Stanford also and is hoping to get offers from Michigan and Ohio st

I normally don't feel this way but I'm still concerned about recruiting. I have felt that the Bo issue has kept us out of a number of good players. There are a few like Clinkscales that are very good players that we are in on but a number of prospects we have don't have a real impressive offer list.

HOPEFULLY, now that the Bo issue is resolved, he can get in with some really good players again.

I have been really impressed with the last 2-3 classes. This one has me concerned some. Hopefully we can make up some time now.

A good bowl win would go a long ways to getting what we want.

I know what you're saying but it's almost always like this. We have 15 commits right now. We obviously need more but that's usually the pattern:

2013: 12 commits at the end of November. Commits after that: Knevel, Maruice, Collins, Newby, Carter, Finnin, Joseph, Kondolo, D. Johnson plus a few that didn't end up making it to campus.

2012: 7 commits. Finished with: Seisay, Afalava, Moss, Alexander, Cross, Moore, Curry, Valentine

2011: 12 commits. Finished with: Price, Abdullah, J. Carter, Bondi

As you said, hopefully the decision on coaching clears things up for some guys. Plus there are more that just haven't been able to visit yet who likely will now.

So with our coaching staff putting together another solid recruiting class, where's the rub? Everyone who wants Bo gone and also agree we've been recruiting better as of late should also acknowledge the delicate situation the class is being recruited under. Staff turnover means this class could be decimated. What say the Bo haters as pertaining to coaching continuity in regards to recruiting?

Not a Bo hater but you never make long term decisions based on a recruiting class. With that said, if you were ever going to make a decision based on a recruiting class (which let me reiterate is completely the dumbest thing ever), this would be the class to do so. This is setting up to be one of Bo's worse rated classes. Two of the top 3 players have a greater chance to not see the field than they do have a chance of seeing the field. If you take those 2 guys off the list, or even Monte Harrison, we are ranked like 60th. We have been ranked in the 15-22 range the last couple years, keeping a coach in order to keep one of the worst rated classes in the last 20 years is not a thought in anyone's mind.

what's it like to always see the glass completely empty? it has been mentioned numerous times, throughout this thread and the recruiting board, that come signing day this class should be ranked along the lines of the other classes, in the 15-25 range. so while the class, in november, doesnt look all that appealing you still have until february to make up ground. also with this class it is around half full and many of the teams ahead of them have full classes. it is much harder for them to move up since that requires a bump up to their recruits whereas, depending on the ranking of the recruit, nebraska will most likely move up each time they add a recruit.

letting bo go at the end up the season, the new staff will have to re-recruit the players they feel fit their needs from the existing recruits. on top of that they have to go out and find more to fill out their class. if bo is gone after the iowa game the new staff has a bowl game to prepare for, unless ADSE decides to decline the invite (dumb idea all the way around) or the NCAA grants nebraska a waiver to hire a HC and his staff while retaining the other coaches through the bowl game.

you're welcome for the stupidly long post to add to your incomplete comment telling you things you already knew but chose to ignore.

Oh yes, what I said is completely looking half-empty......

At no point last year were we ranked near 50th. During the season we were ranked in the mid 20's and slowly crept up to the teens and ended right around there. Again, we weren't sitting at 50th at the end of November last year or the year before and moved up 30 spots. THAT IS NOT HOW IT HAPPENED. So go back, make up some other "facts" that you completely fabricate, and let me know when you have another argument in which I'm sure you're going to create.

• Fire 1

So with our coaching staff putting together another solid recruiting class, where's the rub? Everyone who wants Bo gone and also agree we've been recruiting better as of late should also acknowledge the delicate situation the class is being recruited under. Staff turnover means this class could be decimated. What say the Bo haters as pertaining to coaching continuity in regards to recruiting?

Not a Bo hater but you never make long term decisions based on a recruiting class.  With that said, if you were ever going to make a decision based on a recruiting class (which let me reiterate is completely the dumbest thing ever), this would be the class to do so.  This is setting up to be one of Bo's worse rated classes.  Two of the top 3 players have a greater chance to not see the field than they do have a chance of seeing the field.  If you take those 2 guys off the list, or even Monte Harrison, we are ranked like 60th.  We have been ranked in the 15-22 range the last couple years, keeping a coach in order to keep one of the worst rated classes in the last 20 years is not a thought in anyone's mind.

what's it like to always see the glass completely empty? it has been mentioned numerous times, throughout this thread and the recruiting board, that come signing day this class should be ranked along the lines of the other classes, in the 15-25 range. so while the class, in november, doesnt look all that appealing you still have until february to make up ground. also with this class it is around half full and many of the teams ahead of them have full classes. it is much harder for them to move up since that requires a bump up to their recruits whereas, depending on the ranking of the recruit, nebraska will most likely move up each time they add a recruit.

letting bo go at the end up the season, the new staff will have to re-recruit the players they feel fit their needs from the existing recruits. on top of that they have to go out and find more to fill out their class. if bo is gone after the iowa game the new staff has a bowl game to prepare for, unless ADSE decides to decline the invite (dumb idea all the way around) or the NCAA grants nebraska a waiver to hire a HC and his staff while retaining the other coaches through the bowl game.

you're welcome for the stupidly long post to add to your incomplete comment telling you things you already knew but chose to ignore.

At no point last year were we ranked near 50th.  During the season we were ranked in the mid 20's and slowly crept up to the teens and ended right around there.  Again, we weren't sitting at 50th at the end of November last year or the year before and moved up 30 spots.  THAT IS NOT HOW IT HAPPENED.  So go back, make up some other "facts" that you completely fabricate, and let me know when you have another argument in which I'm sure you're going to create.

Ranking asside, Mavric post just before yours should put your mind at ease, a little. Look at the talent that we have picked up after November the last three years. We are on 5-6 guys that could pull the trigger at any moment, and the coaches are going to be working hard to unearth some talent late this year like they do every year.

I know what you're saying but it's almost always like this. We have 15 commits right now. We obviously need more but that's usually the pattern:

2013: 12 commits at the end of November. Commits after that: Knevel, Maruice, Collins, Newby, Carter, Finnin, Joseph, Kondolo, D. Johnson plus a few that didn't end up making it to campus.

2012: 7 commits. Finished with: Seisay, Afalava, Moss, Alexander, Cross, Moore, Curry, Valentine

2011: 12 commits. Finished with: Price, Abdullah, J. Carter, Bondi

As you said, hopefully the decision on coaching clears things up for some guys. Plus there are more that just haven't been able to visit yet who likely will now.

I hope you are right.

Is anyone concerned about the DB spots? Seems like we are offering a lot of JUCO DBs all of a sudden (k. richardson, cockrell, still after josh keys). I could see corey cooper, leroy alexander (safeties)and josh mitchell (CB) as our starting secondary next season. Anyone know about the development of J. Rose, boaz, davie?

Is anyone concerned about the DB spots? Seems like we are offering a lot of JUCO DBs all of a sudden (k. richardson, cockrell, still after josh keys). I could see corey cooper, leroy alexander (safeties)and josh mitchell (CB) as our starting secondary next season. Anyone know about the development of J. Rose, boaz, davie?

Rose got to play some this year. Don't remember many bad things but nothing that really stood out either. Davie played quite a bit on special teams. Pretty sure Boaz redshirted - haven't heard anything about him.

I would guess Cooper and Alexander will start at safety (though I'm not a fan of Cooper). Mitchell will definitely have one CB spot with Rose having the inside track on the other but it's really a toss-up after Mitchell. I'm really interested to see what happens with Gerry. My guess right now is he slides into Evans' spot at Nickel, except that he won't play corner in our base defense. I think we'll have enough LBs that we can get along without him there and he covers, tackles and covers ground fast enough to play against the slot. I'd really like to see him back at safety but I doubt that happens until Cooper is gone.

Not a Bo hater but you never make long term decisions based on a recruiting class. With that said, if you were ever going to make a decision based on a recruiting class (which let me reiterate is completely the dumbest thing ever), this would be the class to do so. This is setting up to be one of Bo's worse rated classes. Two of the top 3 players have a greater chance to not see the field than they do have a chance of seeing the field. If you take those 2 guys off the list, or even Monte Harrison, we are ranked like 60th. We have been ranked in the 15-22 range the last couple years, keeping a coach in order to keep one of the worst rated classes in the last 20 years is not a thought in anyone's mind.

At no point last year were we ranked near 50th. During the season we were ranked in the mid 20's and slowly crept up to the teens and ended right around there. Again, we weren't sitting at 50th at the end of November last year or the year before and moved up 30 spots. THAT IS NOT HOW IT HAPPENED. So go back, make up some other "facts" that you completely fabricate, and let me know when you have another argument in which I'm sure you're going to create.

what exactly did i fabricate? where did i say how anything happened in the past? i could provide links to posts have stated the class will end up ranked around where it has ended up the past couple years, if i felt so compelled, but i'm not going to. anyone who follows recruiting on this board has seen these posts. sorry that you dont like having things you said refuted. i merely gave you sound reasoning that things might not be as bad as you think they are.

and i gave you no credit for even seeing anything half-empty.

still waiting for all these great recruits we are going to get in the next 4 weeks.....

Our recruiting sucked before the Bo audio tape, before they rumors of firing, before we lost to Minnesota and Iowa...... its going to be a dismal February. Ya, we will land a good juco, but that's it. Got to love finishing in the 40-50 ranking.... much like out performance of the field. But hey, round here expecting anything more is just being unreasonable, not a fan, or looking at the glass half full?

still waiting for all these great recruits we are going to get in the next 4 weeks.....

Our recruiting sucked before the Bo audio tape, before they rumors of firing, before we lost to Minnesota and Iowa...... its going to be a dismal February. Ya, we will land a good juco, but that's it. Got to love finishing in the 40-50 ranking.... much like out performance of the field. But hey, round here expecting anything more is just being unreasonable, not a fan, or looking at the glass half full?

They'll come. They always do.

We'll be fine. Certainly not finishing in the 40-50 range, Chicken Little. Our sky isn't falling yet. Go have a beer and relax and come back in February, I guarantee you we'll be just fine.

• Fire 1