How about them Blackshirts?

knapplc

HOW FREAKING PUMPED ARE YOU ABOUT THAT PERFORMANCE?

While the offense had me scratching my head quite frequently today, I was more than encouraged about the Blackshirts. Yes, it was Purdue. Yes, it was against a true Freshman quarterback. Those caveats can't be overlooked.

But our front four flat-out whipped that offensive line. They brought big hits, they had great coverage, and their Achilles Heel - the backside cut - hasn't been an issue for ten quarters.

I loved the aggressive pursuit of the quarterback. Defense is a predatory enterprise, and Randy Gregory, Aaron Curry and Greg McMullen were definitely predators today.

We held Purdue to seven drives of three plays or less, and no Purdue drive lasted longer than seven plays. Barring that last busted coverage, they would have pitched their first shutout since the Holiday Bowl against Arizona in 2009. No Purdue drive covered more than 35 yards.

Purdue matched their season-low scoring total, and that only on one last, desperate play. Without that play, they would have ended the game with 155 total yards.

Perhaps the best thing about the defense today was the fact that they didn't quit. In one stretch between the third and fourth quarter, Nebraska had seven possessions in which we punted three times and threw two interceptions. Instead of regressing when the offense stumbled, as the defense has done too often in the past few years, the defense responded by giving up 82 total yards in Purdue's answering seven possessions, including one two-play Purdue drive that resulted in a Randy Gregory Safety.

That's the response you expect from the Blackshirts. Here's to hoping we see more and more of these performances as this young defense matures. For the first time in a while, the future looks pretty bright on defense.

:throwdabones1:

• Fire 3

I saw our guys doing that dictating today. That made me smile. And I saw a freshman quarterback that by the 4th quarter was rattled to death and couldnt even manage to execute a simple throw away on multiple occasions. Purdue? Yes, it was a bad Purdue team, and I'm sure that's a spin that's gonna be hammered to death these next two weeks, but what's wrong with being happy and encouraged by doing exactly what we're supposed to do to a bad team?

Bottom line is, the last 10 quarters have been extremely solid by our defense. We are quickly starting to see some extremem potential with this bunch of youngins. I have a jones right now.

Love what we are seeing. Big plays are still there but not as much as the first 3 games. We've been dictating momentum on defense which is awesome, something we haven't seen. Gregory is an animal hands down game changer. Bo and company need to keep them from having a big head. We've played great defense the last two weeks, but against lesser opponents. When we face NW that is a totally different monster from Illi,Purdue, and Minnesota.

I'm loving the growth of our players especially our line. We may have something special brewing, but I won't get my hopes up until an equal opponent.

Love the potential, future looks bright. Pressure looks very promising. Youth is gonna be explosive next year, just what we needed. That was as close to an actual shutout as you can get and they earned it. I say let their young QB have his TD but the onside was pointless and couldv'e caused an injury like they said on the radio. Good showing for our Blackshirts.

A shutout is impressive no matter who it's against.

Great game by those boys today. Here's to hoping whatever perspective they've had over the last two weeks stays consistent and they continue to gel going into November.

what shutout?

You know exactly what I am saying.

I didn't know there was such a thing as a moral shutout