NCAA Stats Total Defense: #75

putting up numbers against poor quality opponents....just sayin....

We can't control how good Purdue is, we took care of the things that we can control yesterday. If you can't see a huge improvement in our defense you just plain don't watch.

Yep. Our D did what they are supposed to against a presumed lesser team. IMO, we have seen steady improvement each week. Better communication, more pressure, better technique etc.... If we continue in this trend, with our O, a top 50 (ie average D) can get us the wins needed.

I just like that we are attacking more on defense. Also you may have noticed in the Purdue game Valentine running down a Purdue RB all the way on the sideline. That big boy can really move!

As I expected, our front 7 depth and talent are light years ahead of last year. Now we just need them to become consistent, play as a unit, and keep that swagger. After what I saw from Northwestern this week, 7-1 heading into Michigan and a top 15 ranking are withing our grasp.

The points about other team's rankings and lack of credentials are well taken. I think that is the point, many of us our frustrated with the arbitrary slights like Oklahoma, OSU, and the two-loss SEC teams. Those teams haven't really beaten anyone either, unless you want to debate that South Carolina (UGA) is some kind of powerhouse. Remember this is the same UGA team that needed a miracle comeback and fluky OT fumble to handle my pretty weak local Vols team the week before.

Let's take a closer look at these 8 ranked SEC teams.

First off you have a group of 4 teams that haven't beaten a single team currently ranked in the top 25: Auburn, Florida, South Carolina, A&M

That leaves two-loss UGA and Mizzou who only has beaten overrated UGA.

From there we have Bama and LSU. LSU split games against UGA and Florida, and otherwise has not played a single currently ranked team. Why the AP thinks LSU is the #6 team in the country I have no idea, but then again when you look at the options there aren't many. UCLA will have a couple of chances the next two weeks to prove their mettle (Stanford, Oregon).

I do think this speaks towards my contention that the SEC is top heavy with Bama clearly the only top 5 caliber team. Let's hope and pray another conference is able to step up and win the national championship this year, that is the only thing that will put a little crack in the huge rankings bias we are seeing towards SEC teams.

I find it funny that A&M and Mizzou are suddenly world beaters after joining the SEC. These were a couple of mediocre to good Big 12 teams, but never elite. I understand that Manziel is all that is keeping A&M in such lofty status lately, They were a clear second fiddle to underachieving Texas in the Big 12 most years, though the SEC move was wise to get a little recruiting boost.

That would be nuts if the D is able to get a ranking within the top 30 by the end of the season.

I don't believe it is too far-fetched. It is indisputable our defense is starting to "get it" and Bo has taken more control. Also, in our first six games, we faced three top-40 offenses. In the final six games, we don't face a single offense in the top-50.

Let's take a closer look at these 8 ranked SEC teams.

First off you have a group of 4 teams that haven't beaten a single team currently ranked in the top 25: Auburn, Florida, South Carolina, A&M

That leaves two-loss UGA and Mizzou who only has beaten overrated UGA.

From there we have Bama and LSU. LSU split games against UGA and Florida, and otherwise has not played a single currently ranked team. Why the AP thinks LSU is the #6 team in the country I have no idea, but then again when you look at the options there aren't many. UCLA will have a couple of chances the next two weeks to prove their mettle (Stanford, Oregon).

I do think this speaks towards my contention that the SEC is top heavy with Bama clearly the only top 5 caliber team. Let's hope and pray another conference is able to step up and win the national championship this year, that is the only thing that will put a little crack in the huge rankings bias we are seeing towards SEC teams.

I find it funny that A&M and Mizzou are suddenly world beaters after joining the SEC. These were a couple of mediocre to good Big 12 teams, but never elite. I understand that Manziel is all that is keeping A&M in such lofty status lately, They were a clear second fiddle to underachieving Texas in the Big 12 most years, though the SEC move was wise to get a little recruiting boost.

yeah but its the SEC, everyone is better in the SEC. Heck Kentucky would beat tOSU by 14. Vandy, Miss St. and Tenn. would finish 1st, 2nd and 3rd in the Pac 12. Everyone knows this, you are just a hater and a sore loser. :rolleyes:

That would be nuts if the D is able to get a ranking within the top 30 by the end of the season.

Won't surprise me if we get into the 30's by the end of the year. If we lop 25 more yards a game off our total yards we are like 52. The defense is getting better, you can see it. I just want to see the defense play with confidence it played with the last 2 games the rest of the year. Confidence comes from knowing what they are doing and executing the plan. That is what we have seen the last 2 games and I hope and think it will continue.

56 yds per game separates us from #30 as it stands today. Should be achieveable.

Minnesota is #108 in total offense at 332 yds per game. If we hold them to 300 total yards, we should be low 50's to 61-62

If we hold them to 200 total yards we should jump to mid 40's to high 50's.

Our other opponents Total offense is as follows:

Penn State: #52 442 yards

Northwestern: #53 435 yards

Iowa: #63 416 yards

Michigan: #74 395 yards

Michigan St: #88 374 yards

Top 30 should be the goal.

56 yds per game separates us from #30 as it stands today. Should be achieveable.

Minnesota is #108 in total offense at 332 yds per game. If we hold them to 300 total yards, we should be low 50's to 61-62

Shouldn't we add Ohio State to that list?

Or can we not be optimistic around here any longer? :)

Shouldn't we add Ohio State to that list?

Or can we not be optimistic around here any longer? :)

We could add them but I was looking more at who we are actually playing. Not necessarily who we might play.

Besides, holding these teams to below their averages doesn't guarantee a win.

I would never have thought Meechicken's offense was ranked that low. As of right now our toughest game IMO is MSU, but we do get them at home. PSU will play hard, but they could be pretty beat up by the time we play them. NW is beat up right now and hurting after getting spanked on Saturday. Don't underestimate Iowa, they will probably be playing ok when we get them at the end of the year.