Who is the most-loved Husker quarterback since Tommie Frazier?

knapplc

Most loved Husker Quarterback  

153 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

http://nebraska.statepaper.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2001/08/05/3b6cef3bc1b10

Newcombe caught just 21 passes as a junior and only 20 his senior year. It almost appeared as if Newcombe deliberately was being left out of the mix, as if to keep from any further controversies between himself and Crouch.

"It sure looked that way," Newcombe says. "I'd run a post pattern we'd call on the sidelines, and I'd go to the middle of the field. But he'd throw to the sidelines. It happened not once, but three times that game against Northwestern (in the Alamo Bowl, a 66-17 Cornhuskers win).

"I came to the sidelines, and (quarterbacks coach Turner Gill) shook his head. He said, 'He should have hit you on that one.' I had the guy beat by 10 yards; it was an automatic touchdown."

Two questions concerning this post. I understand about te Crouch thing. Refused to sign poster when asked by team mate (Mike Stuntz). Bet he would pay me to sign it now. So question is, Why is he so revered?

Secon question, What did Scot Frost do to alienate so many people? I know this condition exists, but don't know why.

Crouch - Why is he so revered? Easy answer is because he was good. Damned good. Did he refuse to sign a poster? That's a story I haven't heard, but maybe he did. He was probably a very different guy in college than he is now. There's an attitude that often comes with being the best, and Crouch certainly had that attitude. He knew he was the best player on the field in any given game. His playing days were marked by fantastic exploits on the field and some questionable decisions off the field. Overall I'd say he was a good guy, great player, but not often regarded as the best teammate.

Scott Frost - How did he alienate people? Easy answer is because he committed the heinous crime of declining a scholarship offer from Tom Osborne. Amid Tom's mid-90s run a home-grown Nebraska boy doesn't leave the state to play for - of all schools - Stanford. Scott's decision shocked the state. Many people felt it was a betrayal. When he came back, he was Benedict Arnold in scarlet and cream. He was booed at Memorial Stadium. Frost also lost a game and looked bad doing it - something that hadn't happened in three years (the 1992 Orange Bowl loss to Florida State). To fans who just watched one of the most dominant runs in college football history, losing that game at Arizona State was just about unforgivable. It also didn't help that Frost had the same attitude that Crouch had (and Frazier, and Steve Taylor, and Turner Gill, and...). People thought he was stuck-up - heard that a lot - and combined with the rest, he had quite a row to hoe, as the vernacular goes here in Nebraska.

Those are the reasons both are viewed the way they're viewed. I'm not saying either narrative is right, I'm just saying, that's how it was.

Come on... Omaha kid who played for Millard North and nearly won the state championship? The 99 team was a few fumbles away from a NC as well with him at the helm. Crouch wins this in a landslide. Not even close.

It can't be Frost since he played 2 years at Stanford. It can't be Ganz because he started for a season and a half and was at times a pick six machine. Lord was a great athlete (WR playing QB), but was very one dimensional. Zac Taylor gave it his all for 2 years, but was a JUCO transfer who was not a local kid which puts him second in my opinion.

I gotta go with Joe Ganz. I remember this time. I know at times he was a turnover machine. But, as a fanbase who is ALWAY enamored with the backup qb, here's a backup qb, 5th year senior who paid his dues, and got his opportunity to shine when the struggling #1 went down, and showed that maybe he shouldve been #1 to begin with. Joe Ganz gave the entire fanbase one giant hard-on. It just felt like there was a tone throughout the 2008 season that Joe Ganz couldnt do any wrong. Even after the pick against Texas Tech, I remember a tone of positivity and support, as opposed to what there would be had something like that happened today. For that, Joe Ganz is the most loved in my eyes. I know it's all circumstatial because of where the program had been and where it was when he was playing, but it is what it is.

I was just thinking how I miss watching Joe Ganz at QB.....not the most talented we've had but certainly a gamer and an exciting player to watch. Jammal Lord is another guy who was fun to watch.....had eyes in the back of his head, could scramble with the best of them and was pretty good at flinging long bombs.

Voted EC because he's one of my favorites all time at any level. Second choice would be Joe Ganz. Was pretty young yet when Crouch was playing so I couldn't fully appreciate his ability at the time. Met Joe at a camp when he was a true Freshmen and he was a great guy. When he finally got his chance I loved his competativeness, and he actually made me excited about watching NU football again.

Two questions concerning this post. I understand about te Crouch thing. Refused to sign poster when asked by team mate (Mike Stuntz). Bet he would pay me to sign it now. So question is, Why is he so revered?

Secon question, What did Scot Frost do to alienate so many people? I know this condition exists, but don't know why.

Crouch - Why is he so revered? Easy answer is because he was good. Damned good. Did he refuse to sign a poster? That's a story I haven't heard, but maybe he did. He was probably a very different guy in college than he is now. There's an attitude that often comes with being the best, and Crouch certainly had that attitude. He knew he was the best player on the field in any given game. His playing days were marked by fantastic exploits on the field and some questionable decisions off the field. Overall I'd say he was a good guy, great player, but not often regarded as the best teammate.

Scott Frost - How did he alienate people? Easy answer is because he committed the heinous crime of declining a scholarship offer from Tom Osborne. Amid Tom's mid-90s run a home-grown Nebraska boy doesn't leave the state to play for - of all schools - Stanford. Scott's decision shocked the state. Many people felt it was a betrayal. When he came back, he was Benedict Arnold in scarlet and cream. He was booed at Memorial Stadium. Frost also lost a game and looked bad doing it - something that hadn't happened in three years (the 1992 Orange Bowl loss to Florida State). To fans who just watched one of the most dominant runs in college football history, losing that game at Arizona State was just about unforgivable. It also didn't help that Frost had the same attitude that Crouch had (and Frazier, and Steve Taylor, and Turner Gill, and...). People thought he was stuck-up - heard that a lot - and combined with the rest, he had quite a row to hoe, as the vernacular goes here in Nebraska.

Those are the reasons both are viewed the way they're viewed. I'm not saying either narrative is right, I'm just saying, that's how it was.

This so much. Crouch was one of the absolute baddest dudes you'll see on the football field.

That Eric Crouch won a Heisman and TF didn't is enough to make me laugh out loud at him LOL EC would have not been on the team if he wouldnt have left like a baby crying to mommy but the school begged him to come back. The kid was SO over rated

Scott Frost is my vote.......the kid was in a really TOUGH spot......taking over for Frazier. Living in AZ, I was at that ASU/NU game that NU lost.......ASU broke the NU winning streak.....AG fumbled all night long.......and the ASU fans were yelling at us....."see you at the blue bonnet bowl NU".......even though as NU fans outnumbers the home team fans.......it was a bad night. I had no faith in SF after that night for the rest of the year.

But the next year proved me so wrong.....alot of personnal stuff came out......inside drama......and it seemed to work itself out the next year. The MU game was the catapult.......and then that bowl game......which didn't seal it at all. What sealed the "co" championship was Scott Frost post game speech........totally got the voters thinking and doing a reality check........that speecjh in my mind got NU a share of the championship. THen the kid goes on to make an NFL team as a safety!!!!!!!!!! He my choice.....hand down......not even close. EC would think about the NFL if he couldn't be QB.......would an over rated joke he was.......he an TBOW should have great stories to share........but TBOW came through in the big game unlike Crouch

huskerinAZ, Eric Crouch was NOT overrated. Whatever happened with him and leaving and such, I dont know, but he certainly backed it all up on the field. He carried this program for all of 2 years. We found out pretty clearly at the end of '01 and all of '02, that there was simply no supporting cast around Crouch, and he all but single handidly made up for it. Same with Jamal Lord.

• Fire 1