Will Scott Frost Be Nebraska’s Kliff Kingsbury?

Ok. I appreciate you doing some explaining about what you like. Those are nice and all. But from my perspective, when Saban screwed the Dolphins as a loser and jetted to the Tide, he took a non-known secondary coach with him. That was KS. Just because they have had success at Bama, some luck, and some favorable rankings when they lose, he really has done nothing but ride the coat tails of a winning team. Okay that might be exaggerated. He's been good. He's been alright . No more, no less. And he is among the highest paid coordinators in the history of college football because of the winning Even A&M scored 40+ on them. On Kirby Smart's defense. So I do not think he is as deserving. D-coordinators are not that valuable as head coaches. They can lose games more than finding ways to win them. And he knows nothing about Nebraska. If he's lucky he might find it on the map. With a dart. And take a bunch of money in the process because of the name Alabama. Fedora? Good for him. North Carolina and Southern Miss suck. I'd keep Pelini over both. For life. But if I want to take a popular risk on becoming a better team/program, I'd do what is necessary and take a kid from Nebraska, that won a championship playing with the Huskers, that has been coaching for over 15 years, currently the OC at Oregon... let me repeat: OREGON....and has even said he loves Nebraska........Kirby and Fedora have never said that. Probably ever. Shoot, just look at post #41 and post#38 of the vid....You mean THAT GUY would love to be the coach of the Huskers? Oh hell yeah! That's a dude that I would take. Outside of it, I'd prolly just stick with Pelini.

Some success, luck, and favorable rankings when they lose? Coaching and recruiting have nothing to do with their 3 titles in 4 years? Who knew?

If what Bama has for defensive play calling is just good to alright, I will take it in a heartbeat.

Your coordinator comment is so far off that it is hardly worth commenting on.

There is not a coach in college football that doesn't know about Nebraska.

Yeah he was the OC for 3 years but he was starting to get looked at for HC after Johnny Football won the Heisman last year and look who Frost has at QB in Oregon. The number 1 QB in the draft according to the so called "experts" and my pick to win the Heisman unless Famous Jameis just goes off these next few game which is very possible.

I don't get all the love for Tressel. The one big reason I wouldn't hire him is the simple fact that the guy is 60 years old. Which means next year his first he would be 61. Same goes for Paul Johnson he is a little old at 56 for my tastes. They won't be at NU for the long hall. I would be looking at coaches that are mid 40's or less.

Kirby Smart and Larry Fedora are southern guys, I am not sure that would translate to well to the Midwest. Besides Smart has no HC experience. How bout the guy at N. Ill or the guy at Fresno St.,

Living in Idaho, I really like Chris Peterson, he might be ready for a change.

I don't have a problem with Frost at all. I think his youth would relate well to the players. I think he is very intelligent and knows football. I think he would surround himself with some good assistants and from all I here he is a great recruiter. I do think Frost could have an impact like Kingsbury.

I think there are lots of good options if that is the route they go. The thing you have to understand is that I think there is there is maybe 2 sure thing coaches in college football right now, Sabin and Meyer, and neither of them is coming to Nebraska. Everything else is a crap shoot.

Yeah he was the OC for 3 years but he was starting to get looked at for HC after Johnny Football won the Heisman last year and look who Frost has at QB in Oregon. The number 1 QB in the draft according to the so called "experts" and my pick to win the Heisman unless Famous Jameis just goes off these next few game which is very possible.

Just because you have a great player that you are coaching doesn't automatically make you HC worthy.

• Fire 1

Is Nebraska willing to gamble and potentially have 4 years of mediocrity or worse with a guy who is 8 games in as an OC. And if he doesnt do well, Eichorst would have to fire one of Nebraskas own. Its a recipe for disaster really. The payoff is there, dont get me wrong, but its unproven. Nebraska doesnt need risk, Nebraska needs to elevate and elevate quickly. I would love to see Beck take over at FAU and bring Frost here as OC.

• Fire 3

How bout the guy at N. Ill or the guy at Fresno St., The coach at N. Ill would be a bad fit. He took over a program from the HC last year who took them to the Orange Bowl he is now at UNC plus after Jordan Lynch N. Ill will be just another so-so MAC school. The Fresno St coach would also be a good fit I think he is a great recruiter and can get kids to play good ball on both sides. Also I don't get why people want the "VEST" to come to Lincoln did you guys not see why he got axed at TOSU? Neb runs a good CLEAN program and this guy is just another snake in the grass

How bout the guy at N. Ill or the guy at Fresno St., The coach at N. Ill would be a bad fit. He took over a program from the HC last year who took them to the Orange Bowl he is now at UNC plus after Jordan Lynch N. Ill will be just another so-so MAC school. The Fresno St coach would also be a good fit I think he is a great recruiter and can get kids to play good ball on both sides. Also I don't get why people want the "VEST" to come to Lincoln did you guys not see why he got axed at TOSU? Neb runs a good CLEAN program and this guy is just another snake in the grass

The last 2 Northern Illinois coaches went on to Big Boy Conferences. Jerry Kill at Minnesota and Dave Doeren to NC State. No reason why the current guy couldn't make the leap.

Tim DeRuyter could be that guy.

I have no problem with Tressel. It would have been different if it was systematic cheating. But it was tattoos. Couldn't care less.

Please, If we have to get a new coach can we get one who has been one before.

I don't get this. Why are we so willing to take the chance on a coordinator who has zero head coaching experience?

Because there is zero evidence that a hire with head coaching experience is better than a hire without.

If you look at the current BCS Top 25, about exactly half of those coaches are first time head coaches.

Oregon

Stanford

Baylor

Clemson

Oklahoma

Texas A&M

Texas Tech

Just a few examples. For every coordinator turned head coach that failed you point out, I can point out another head coaching hire that was a head coach before and failed. Hell, this should be easy as pie to understand for Nebraska fans. Tom Osborne was never a head coach, but Bill Callahan was.

(p.s. please don't strawman me responding that I'm trying to prove a point by cherrypicking certain instances. I'm not. I'm only countering false points.)

Baylor and T A&M don't have first time HC's. Stanford and Oregon are examples of HC's that took over programs that were built into perennial powers already and both current HC's were a part of that effort so they were already aware of how the program was run and what made them successful; a transition in this scenario is not comparable IMO. That leaves just 3 on your list.

• Fire 1

Is Nebraska willing to gamble and potentially have 4 years of mediocrity or worse with a guy who is 8 games in as an OC. And if he doesnt do well, Eichorst would have to fire one of Nebraskas own. Its a recipe for disaster really. The payoff is there, dont get me wrong, but its unproven. Nebraska doesnt need risk, Nebraska needs to elevate and elevate quickly. I would love to see Beck take over at FAU and bring Frost here as OC.

isn't any coach we hire going to be a gamble tho? Because people like us come on here and rip the coaching staff and everyone else. Because people in the Northwest see what Frost is doing and they like it they don't want him to go but they know some school is going to be calling for him and I say give him a shot at it!!!

I don't get this. Why are we so willing to take the chance on a coordinator who has zero head coaching experience?

Because there is zero evidence that a hire with head coaching experience is better than a hire without.

If you look at the current BCS Top 25, about exactly half of those coaches are first time head coaches.

Oregon

Stanford

Baylor

Clemson

Oklahoma

Texas A&M

Texas Tech

Just a few examples. For every coordinator turned head coach that failed you point out, I can point out another head coaching hire that was a head coach before and failed. Hell, this should be easy as pie to understand for Nebraska fans. Tom Osborne was never a head coach, but Bill Callahan was.

(p.s. please don't strawman me responding that I'm trying to prove a point by cherrypicking certain instances. I'm not. I'm only countering false points.)

Baylor and T A&M don't have first time HC's. Stanford and Oregon are examples of HC's that took over programs that were built into perennial powers already and both current HC's were a part of that effort so they were already aware of how the program was run and what made them successful; a transition in this scenario is not comparable IMO. That leaves just 3 on your list.

Solich took over a perennial power and look what happened. Just because you are part of the effort doesn't mean you have what it takes to get the job done.

• Fire 1

Oregon

Stanford

Baylor

Clemson

Oklahoma

Texas A&M

Texas Tech

Solich took over a perennial power and look what happened. Just because you are part of the effort doesn't mean you have what it takes to get the job done.

Agreed, another example is Coker at Miami. Lots of great short term success, but he couldn't keep it going long term, very similar to Solich. Time will tell on Shaw and Helfrich (sp?), but Shaw seems to have his staff recruiting well so that bodes well for him.

Just pointing out that Landlord's list is flawed.

isn't any coach we hire going to be a gamble tho? Because people like us come on here and rip the coaching staff and everyone else. Because people in the Northwest see what Frost is doing and they like it they don't want him to go but they know some school is going to be calling for him and I say give him a shot at it!!!

He took over Mark Helfrichs spot as OC. Mark Helfrich is now HC. The offense is still Mark Helfrichs. Frost is just the name next to the title. Frost is not a hot commodity yet. If he hadnt played here nobody would be calling for him yet.

Yes this has been addressed already:

Uhh... Both Kevin Sumlin and Art Briles coached at Houston before going to the Big XII.

My mistake. Replace them with Gundy and Fisher in that case. Or just look at all of the successful head coaching hires of the last 15 years and see how many were and weren't first time head coaches.

More evidence against the "We need a big time name head coach hire" myth:

Rich Rodriguez had great success at West Virginia as a first time BCS coach (he was coach at a few rinky dink schools I've never heard of for two years or something). But then, as a proven head coach hire, has been mediocre at Michigan and Arizona.

Dan Hawkins had great success building Boise up when he was promoted from assistant. Yet, with the head coaching experience, drove Colorado into the dumpster.

Chris Petersen took over for Hawkins as a first time head coach and has done a phenomenal job and is the first name out of most Husker fans' mouths.

Kyle Whittingham succeeded Urban Meyer of all people at Utah, as a first time head coach, and has done a tremendous job there as well.

He took over Mark Helfrichs spot as OC. Mark Helfrich is now HC. The offense is still Mark Helfrichs. Frost is just the name next to the title. Frost is not a hot commodity yet. If he hadnt played here nobody would be calling for him yet.

Well Frost is supposedly calling the plays according to an article I read so I would guess that makes him the OC in actuality as opposed to Papuchis as the DC. I am sure Helfrichs is involved in the ge planning and has input, but I don't think he's a HC/play caller ala TO. Either way Frost has a lot of seasoning to do IMO.