Westerkamp Comments On Matt Davison Catch...

I was also 4 years old in 1997. I didn't see it live and for years I just thought that it won the game for the Huskers.

Just an honest question were people able to enjoy a win back then, or did they complain that the game should have never came down to that play to win in OT?

I can tell you that the reaction on Huskerboard was quite tame in 1997. No meltdown or anything.

• Fire 1

I was also 4 years old in 1997. I didn't see it live and for years I just thought that it won the game for the Huskers.

Just an honest question were people able to enjoy a win back then, or did they complain that the game should have never came down to that play to win in OT?

I can tell you that the reaction on Huskerboard was quite tame in 1997. No meltdown or anything.

Well played.

So, there's a players lounge right? Why wouldn't they have one big screen somewhere in the room playing great moments in husker history and explaining when it was, what happened, what it meant. Get the tradition taught in an easy manner. Kids will watch TV if it's there.

So, there's a players lounge right? Why wouldn't they have one big screen somewhere in the room playing great moments in husker history and explaining when it was, what happened, what it meant. Get the tradition taught in an easy manner. Kids will watch TV if it's there.

Because they kids probably want to watch MTV, ESPN, or some other channel the kids these days watch.

This is one of the reasons the opinion the players have of "the fans" isn't something I'm too concerned about. They're kids, between 18-22/23 years old. Unless they grew up here (and likely even if they grew up here) they don't know anything about the history of the program like any 30-80 year old fan experienced. Neither does Bo, or most of his staff, with the obvious exception of Ron Brown.

They may know stuff, but for the most part they didn't live it. It's the difference between watching the Zapruder film of the Kennedy assassination and being alive when he was shot, or kids today seeing the World Trade Center collapsing on a classroom video rather than watching it live.

I guess I want these players to have a fair knowledge of the history and tradition of this program, but if they don't dwell on those memories like the fans do, that's fine. They should be busy building new memories for us to dwell on 20 years from now, anyway.

That is interesting. I'm always a bit amazed and concerned about what "kids these days" don't know about. I think humans have this basic assumption that what I know is what they (anyone else) knows. But that isn't true at all. When I think something is "common knowledge," I often find out that I'm wrong.

But I do think that getting new players acclimated to Husker culture by having them watch a "Intro to Husker Football" video is a great idea. They should see those big plays. The question is... would Davison's catch be on that highlight reel? I mean, it is for us because we were there and it was huge. But if you look at the whole body of work of Nebraska, and you had to carve up the entire history into 30 minutes of highlights... would that catch be on there?

This might make for a fun topic. 30 minutes of Husker History.... GO.

I want to see lots of defense on there!

Davison's catch has to be on that "video" only because it saved a National Championship season.

Kind of like how Westerkamp just saved a head coaches' job. For now.