Westerkamp Comments On Matt Davison Catch...

Did anyone catch Jordan's answer in the press conference as to whether his catch was better than Matt's? His answer really surprised me... he said he couldn't comment on that because he hadn't seen Davison's catch and that he would have to go look it up. Am I the only one who would like the current players on Nebraska to watch a steady stream of videos containing the greatest moments on Husker history on their off days? LOL

I mean... C'mon man!

Let's see, Westerkamp was 3-4 years old when that happened, and living in Illinois. I find to hard to place that much expectation on these guys. I'm sure he knows about it now, cuz he's in that company. Yes, i would like to see it, but I cant expect it of them. They have enough on their plate as far as expectations go.

people always think all these boys do is look at the old trophies and study Mcbride's defense in their downtime. it's laughable. it's the same reason 17-18 yr old kids are always surprised at our facilities and tradition when they come on recruiting visits. THEY DON'T KNOW AND THEY DON'T CARE WHAT HAPPENED 50-40-30-20-10-5 YEARS AGO.

why would he have seen that catch?

same thing this fall when our offense was being compared to the scoring explosion, Kenny said he'd go look up the poster and see those guys. they have no idea what it was, what they did. and they certainly haven't watched any film or studied ANY of it.

jeez. we have a serious perception problem.

and this is in no way directed at the OP specifically. it's a problem with a large number of our fanbase. all of you twitter tweeters--if you want the kids today to know what happened 20 yrs ago, start sending the links to old youtube videos.

It's us fans job to place things like that in historical context. The current players should not be interested in the specifics of what some crusty old guys did 20-30-40 years ago. However, I would like to see maybe 30 minutes spent with incoming players, with video highlights, of the tradition they are stepping into. We can't assume they know squat about what most of us see as Nebraska Football. It really hasn't existed during their lifetime. So yeah, maybe a brief glimpse into the past and a bit of a primer on fanbase expectations wouldn't hurt a thing.

On one hand, it makes sense that he might not be too familiar with a play that occurred 16 years ago. But on the other hand, classic plays are classic plays and should be known. I was born in 1979, but I was always pretty darn familiar with highlights of Turner Gill and Mike Rozier. Even outside of Nebraska, the Cal-Stanford "Play" and Doug Flutie's big throw happened at about the same age that I was in comparison to the age Westerkamp was when Davison made his catch. Some plays are just unforgettable and impactful memories in the history of the game.

But, I guess I can learn to forgive Westerkamp. He's probably earned a little bit of goodwill, eh?

People need to get over the butt-hurt that a 20 year old kid didn't know about a Nebraska football play that happened 16 years ago. Like many have said, he was a 4 year old kid, living in Illinois at the time. It's not his job to watch Husker history videos all day. He's got better things to do with his time. He's a college football player. Whatever free time he has away from class and practice, he needs to be chasing tail and giving mustache rides.

• Fire 3

People need to get over the butt-hurt that a 20 year old kid didn't know about a Nebraska football play that happened 16 years ago. Like many have said, he was a 4 year old kid, living in Illinois at the time. It's not his job to watch Husker history videos all day. He's got better things to do with his time. He's a college football player. Whatever free time he has away from class and practice, he needs to be chasing tail and giving mustache rides.

THIS IS AWESOME!!!

That is interesting. I'm always a bit amazed and concerned about what "kids these days" don't know about. I think humans have this basic assumption that what I know is what they (anyone else) knows. But that isn't true at all. When I think something is "common knowledge," I often find out that I'm wrong.

But I do think that getting new players acclimated to Husker culture by having them watch a "Intro to Husker Football" video is a great idea. They should see those big plays. The question is... would Davison's catch be on that highlight reel? I mean, it is for us because we were there and it was huge. But if you look at the whole body of work of Nebraska, and you had to carve up the entire history into 30 minutes of highlights... would that catch be on there?

This might make for a fun topic. 30 minutes of Husker History.... GO.

I want to see lots of defense on there!

That is interesting. I'm always a bit amazed and concerned about what "kids these days" don't know about. I think humans have this basic assumption that what I know is what they (anyone else) knows. But that isn't true at all. When I think something is "common knowledge," I often find out that I'm wrong.

But I do think that getting new players acclimated to Husker culture by having them watch a "Intro to Husker Football" video is a great idea. They should see those big plays. The question is... would Davison's catch be on that highlight reel? I mean, it is for us because we were there and it was huge. But if you look at the whole body of work of Nebraska, and you had to carve up the entire history into 30 minutes of highlights... would that catch be on there?

This might make for a fun topic. 30 minutes of Husker History.... GO.

I want to see lots of defense on there!

Davison's catch has to be on that "video" only because it saved a National Championship season.

• Fire 1

I think instead of a collection of plays, essentially a highlight reel, getting players on video to talk about what it means to be a husker. From former walk ons to heisman trophy winners. Out of state watch sites w hundreds packed in on a Saturday to the march across the bridge next to memorial.

From the coffee shops in Hershey to the secretary in the football office. Make these kids emotionally invested in playing for the state. Mix in the talking w 25-30 plays that define how we got here. And yes, lots of defense.