Coaching change is inevitable, better to plan for the future now

My division boss told me they were sitting on the east side, bout 2 rows up and Bo was right in front of them back at the benches preaching to some defensive guys, and that there were a couple fans yelling obscenitiies (f#*k you Bo! Shut your mouth Bo!) at Bo. He said on a couple instances Bo looked up right at the guys. It's gotta be tough for a guy like that that wears his heart on his sleeve to not let that stuff get to him and not retaliate. You have to imagine it just builds and builds on him.

What?! But we're the best fans ever! The sign outside the stadium confirms it!

Just ask Kevin Cosgove and his family. Ask Bill Callahan too. Every team has crappy fans. Nebraska did 5 years ago, 25 years ago and 5 days ago.

My division boss told me they were sitting on the east side, bout 2 rows up and Bo was right in front of them back at the benches preaching to some defensive guys, and that there were a couple fans yelling obscenitiies (f#*k you Bo! Shut your mouth Bo!) at Bo. He said on a couple instances Bo looked up right at the guys. It's gotta be tough for a guy like that that wears his heart on his sleeve to not let that stuff get to him and not retaliate. You have to imagine it just builds and builds on him.

Your boss didn't have them removed from the stadium? Or punch them....whichever comes first.

He is going to stay. We saw something we really haven't seen him do here, ask the players what they think will work and they played great. He usually is stubborn and thinks his scheme will work this year. I think last game is the spark that this team has been missing the past couple years.

The dog wagging the tail is never a good sign. When the players start to tell the coaches what to do, there is something significantly wrong. The coaches are supposed to know what to do, know what to call, know the defensive strategy, know the match ups, know the player groupings, etc. If the players have to tell the coaches, it is a sign that the coaches really do not know what they are doing. Which, in this case, may very well be the case.

To the OP:

If one grants your premise, consider this.....

1. You are a top-tier coach, and NU approaches you for the HC job.
  2. You look at how NU has treated two of its last three coaches.....Frank Solich has a 9-3 season. His reward is to be fired.
  3. Bo Pelini has consistently produced no less than 9 wins over six seasons, runs a clean program, has Academic All-Americans out the wazoo. He had to deal with a change of conferences and the resulting change of recruiting personnel emphasis. His reward is to be fired.
  4. You know that you are a hot commodity as a coach, so you ask yourself "Why in God's name would I take that job? If I have a couple of bad seasons ala Bob Devany in 67 and 68, do they fire me?"

Mull on that for a while before postulating on the "inevitability" of a coaching change.

He is going to stay. We saw something we really haven't seen him do here, ask the players what they think will work and they played great. He usually is stubborn and thinks his scheme will work this year. I think last game is the spark that this team has been missing the past couple years.

The dog wagging the tail is never a good sign. When the players start to tell the coaches what to do, there is something significantly wrong. The coaches are supposed to know what to do, know what to call, know the defensive strategy, know the match ups, know the player groupings, etc. If the players have to tell the coaches, it is a sign that the coaches really do not know what they are doing. Which, in this case, may very well be the case.

This happens in most programs. Bo get's called bull-headed because he doesn't listen to anyone. Bo gets called out for asking his players for input. The guy cannot win.

• Fire 2

Are the coaches out on the field playing and seeing first hand what it going on? No. I understand the coaches can see whats going on but that doesn't beat actually being on the field first hand. I'm sure the coaches ask the players when they come off the field whats going on out there and what they can do differently. This seems like this is one of the first times we have actually done what they players wanted to do instead of Bo being stubborn and sticking with his scheme for the week. We saw when we went with the players suggestions it worked very well.

Taking a step out of the weeds it seems logical to think that Pelini will be gone either after 2013 or 2014 whether it’s the University’s decision or his own. Pain and bad blood has built up over the years on both sides of the fence. Pelini will either be let go or he’ll leave for another gig. The scenarios I see:

1) Nebraska finishes with 4-5 losses this year and next. The University will feel the pain in terms of donor contributions and will part ways with Pelini.

2) Nebraska gets to the conference championship game and is competitive and continues the momentum in 2014. At this point Pelini’s stock rises and he leaves for another gig, even if it’s a job that may be perceived in lesser terms than the Nebraska job.

What I really don’t see is a scenario where Pelini stays longer term. His demeanor this year is of a man that seems beaten down, he’s rarely looked happy even in the good moments. Let’s not kid ourselves, he’s acting like a guy that probably would welcome a fresh start somewhere else.

Who's are you going to get to replace him??

This is what bafffles me about some of the fire Bo crowd, everyone wants him run out of town, but rarely is a alternative choice given...

He is changing? Unacceptable, Fire Bo!

Seriously? Do we have to put the sarcastic sign next to everything?

Sorry. +1. Now its a wash. :) T_O_B

Taking a step out of the weeds it seems logical to think that Pelini will be gone either after 2013 or 2014 whether it’s the University’s decision or his own. Pain and bad blood has built up over the years on both sides of the fence. Pelini will either be let go or he’ll leave for another gig. The scenarios I see:

1) Nebraska finishes with 4-5 losses this year and next. The University will feel the pain in terms of donor contributions and will part ways with Pelini.

2) Nebraska gets to the conference championship game and is competitive and continues the momentum in 2014. At this point Pelini’s stock rises and he leaves for another gig, even if it’s a job that may be perceived in lesser terms than the Nebraska job.

What I really don’t see is a scenario where Pelini stays longer term. His demeanor this year is of a man that seems beaten down, he’s rarely looked happy even in the good moments. Let’s not kid ourselves, he’s acting like a guy that probably would welcome a fresh start somewhere else.

This is what bafffles me about some of the fire Bo crowd, everyone wants him run out of town, but rarely is a alternative choice given...

And he was too fiery......and now he's too beat down.

• Fire 1

Exactly! We're doing okay. Not great, but okay. If we're going to replace Bo, then the last thing we should do is fire him and try to land someone on the open market. These things need to be worked out behind the scenes, ahead of time. Then, when everything is in place, make a relatively seamless transition in a manner where Eichorst controls the agenda. The last thing we want is get ourselves into a coaching-search clusterf#@k like we had under Pederson. He mismanaged the process so badly it set us back a half a decade.

• Fire 1

Does anyone remember our glory days with AWESOME defenses? Where are they now? We used to be what Alabama and Michigan State are on Defense. Now we are barely middle of the pack. A head coach with supposedly a knack for Defense and we are what we are now? That just doesn't equate. It has nothing to do with conference changes. Big time "D"s play well against any conference. What I am getting at is: What do you think our problem is if it isn't our coaching? My opinion is that our talent has took a serious crap. We used to get these guys having the "best of the best" facilities and rivaled all NFL (and better than most) teams facilities. Everyone has caught up......Hell.....look at Oregon. They took our ideas and super improved them. Damn, you can take your smartphone and scan the QR code on the seats in their stadium and get digital real time news and program information.....how friggin awesome is that!!!?? We have some catching up to do....in almost ALL categories if we want to be back on top again. Does that mean new coaches?? I don't know....I am just a warehouse manager in a small city in Delaware. What do I know?