Solich would be proud....

The man was part of the program for 30+ years. Respect for Fearless Frankie.

Yup, for a guy who pretty much gave his life to this state, he wasn't treated with too much respect.

Unfortunately, he was just in over his head as HC. And he definitely shouldn't have tried to be OC at the same time - that might have helped some. I agree that he was a great assistant - and player for that matter - and gave a lot of time to this football program.

He was Nebraska's coach for our last conference title, last BCS bowl, last BCS bowl win, last win over a top 5 team. So it wasn't all bad while he was here. (Though he was the coach during Black Friday, therein being partially responsible for the Curse of Black Friday, which has plagued us with irrelevancy and mediocrity ever since...)

I thought Osborne was fond of the shortside option. Frankie was in love with QB runs in general because the numbers favor the O. Frankie ran lost of power option, QB powers and sweeps and whatnot. That's just from memory though.

Indeed he was. The theory is the defense is shifted to the wide side so there would be one fewer defender on that side.

The man was part of the program for 30+ years. Respect for Fearless Frankie.

Yup, for a guy who pretty much gave his life to this state, he wasn't treated with too much respect.

Unfortunately, he was just in over his head as HC. And he definitely shouldn't have tried to be OC at the same time - that might have helped some. I agree that he was a great assistant - and player for that matter - and gave a lot of time to this football program.

I agree with all of this and his biggest mistake (as far as his chocie of assistant coaches go) was trying to make that baffoon Barny Cotton OC. But I put the blame on Tom more than I do Frank as Tom had to have known that Frank didn't have what it took to be a HC at a major program. As far as Franks favorite plays, don't forget the FB trap. He ran that one to death, even on 3rd and long.

He was Nebraska's coach for our last conference title, last BCS bowl, last BCS bowl win, last win over a top 5 team. So it wasn't all bad while he was here. (Though he was the coach during Black Friday, therein being partially responsible for the Curse of Black Friday, which has plagued us with irrelevancy and mediocrity ever since...)

And had Texass not cheated in Austin in '99 (two complete passes ruled incomplete on the last drive...), he would have played for two NCs.

I agree with all of this and his biggest mistake (as far as his chocie of assistant coaches go) was trying to make that baffoon Barny Cotton OC. But I put the blame on Tom more than I do Frank as Tom had to have known that Frank didn't have what it took to be a HC at a major program. As far as Franks favorite plays, don't forget the FB trap. He ran that one to death, even on 3rd and long.

Agree that it's a head-scratcher. I just wonder if Frank wasn't paying attention as much as would be expected. Really seems like he didn't value recruiting very much, despite that being a HUGE reason why we finally got over the hump and were elite. And I remember listing to a post-game interview with him early on where he was asked about the fullback getting so many carries. His response was something to the effect of "you have to run inside to set up the option." REALLY!?!??! Have you not watched us run the option 40 times until they forget about the fullback and he runs untouched through the middle for 40 yards? That only happened ... almost every game for the previous 15 years.