Is it just me or is Michigan State not THAT good...

How have we been able to ware Sparty down? I don't think Michigan State has played a team this season who will run the no huddle. Here's how I think the game will play out. We'll run no huddle early and often, despite it not being as effective scoring wise. We may only get 3, 7, 10 points in the first half. So it will be up to the defense to ensure that MSU doesn't score and run away with the momentum. If that can happen, come second half, they will be unable to stop us.

I want our defense to be the unheralded unit going in, and steal the show from Michigan State's defense going out.

Final score:

Michigan State 14

Nebraska 24

I'm not buying into MSU's D. I don't think they have faced quite an offense like ours that is multiple except for maybe Indiana. If this was done against exceptional competition and they dominated Wisconsin or Ohio State then I'd be worried. They haven't been pushed/tested by anyone yet. On the road in Lincoln for them will be tough especially for their QB who has never played against us in our house. I can see our d-line harassing Cook quite a bit. Especially RG44. They haven't seen the kind of speed our defense has.

18/22 of the two-deeps was among the sh**ty MSU team last year that held Wisconsin to 0.5 YPC in Camp Randall last year. MSU has also had a top 10 D for the last 3 years. How long do you claim it's a fluke?

Here is why I am worried about this game...

1. Tim Beck as our OC. When we get going, he seems to change something and we go stagnant. Against Michigan, we pull Armstrong and play Kellogg. This was NOT a good idea and poor decision making on Beck. Had Armstrong been struggling, I could understand. After doing so Michigan shut us out for the 2nd quarter, and when we put Armstrong back in, we weren't jelling anymore. Michigan found confidence in their defense, that they did not have before. We also abandoned the run game, once again. The option was a play that was working really well, and we only ran it a handful of times. You keep running a system until it can be stopped.

Beck's doing fine. As mentioned, we rush twice as much as we pass. That's still run first, even if you decide to (gasp!) pass on first down, a choice made in virtually every game by virtually every respected coach in football.

Yes, sometimes we gash opponents for five yards a rush, but you only think we do it on every play. We don't. For every incomplete pass we also get a running play stuffed. And for every incomplete pass we have a Kenny Bell or Quincy Enunwa gamebreaker. Our completion average is fine, especially for a Freshman QB. Beck is calling lots of option plays for Armstrong, just as we always wanted, and it continues to play dividends, like the game-winning play itself. If we pass even less, and announce our attention to just pound the ball, the running game suffers. We don't have Stanford's offensive line.

We do have a problem getting into offensive rhythm and of course some of that's on Beck, some of it is credit to the opposing defense for sniffing out our tendancies. But by the looks of things I'd still rather have Nebraska's offense with its third string Freshman quarterback, decimated offensive line and injured receiving corps than most offenses in the Big 10. We're doing all right, getting better and capable of excitement on any play. The argument against Shawn Watson was flawed and so is the Monday morning sniping at Beck.

I agree that the time-splitting between Armstrong and Kellogg has to go -- though you could make the case that it ultimately didn't hurt us. But it appears Beck already made that call in the fourth quarter against Michigan with the game on the line, so let's give him credit for that, too.

• Fire 1

I'm not buying into MSU's D. I don't think they have faced quite an offense like ours that is multiple except for maybe Indiana. If this was done against exceptional competition and they dominated Wisconsin or Ohio State then I'd be worried. They haven't been pushed/tested by anyone yet. On the road in Lincoln for them will be tough especially for their QB who has never played against us in our house. I can see our d-line harassing Cook quite a bit. Especially RG44. They haven't seen the kind of speed our defense has.

18/22 of the two-deeps was among the sh**ty MSU team last year that held Wisconsin to 0.5 YPC in Camp Randall last year. MSU has also had a top 10 D for the last 3 years. How long do you claim it's a fluke?

Yet our injury prone QB last year managed to run for 200+ against your same defense and our team as a whole had 313 rush yds @ 7.8 YPC. You've seen this same physical no huddle attack before and in 2011. We have outgained MSU on the ground every single game since 1995. That will be the big key this Saturday, too. Who ever runs the ball better will win. That is probably my one main concern w/ our defense. If our D from NW/Michigan games shows up, this will be a low scoring slug fest.

I say we throw three A Double, Cross and Newby at em over and over. No huddle run each a play or two, swap em and do it quick. Wear their line down by the second drive. Then just pick your spots with the short pass and option.

Defensively.....slaughter their QB. Just absolutely make him dread taking the field.

Yup make 'em throw and make 'em throw fast! Their QB is destined to end up in the 2013 graveyard thread.

This. Attack on first down and get them behind the chains. I say 8-9 in the box and bring people until they prove they can beat us over the top 3-4 times.

Currently we've given up 391 rushing yards all season

tumblr_m38u4yhJAX1r1h6e5.gif

:lol: Yeah, that's an impressive stat.

With the highest ranked rushing offense they've faced ONE top 50 rushing offense in the nation in Indiana...and one top total offense in the nation in Indiana.

MSU has utterly dominated the following ranked offenses in the nation:

• Western Michigan - 111th
  • South Florida - 123rd
  • Youngstown State - FCS No rank
  • Notre Dame - 69th
  • Iowa - 77th
  • Indiana - 8th
  • Purdue - 122nd
  • Illinois - 56th
  • Michigan - 86th

That number 8 offense of Indiana is 12th in the nation in passing and 33rd in the nation in rushing. Nebraska is 14th in the nation in rushing and 42nd in the nation in total offense.

Yeah it's not impressive so much anymore...they haven't seen a rushing offense like ours.

I don't care if they played the seven worst rushing teams in the nation that is still elite run defense and impressive as hell in today's era of college football if you ask me.

Our rushing offense managed a whopping 120 yards against Michigan. Our average is a lot better than that, but that's the team we have at the moment and we're going to need to do quite better than that to win Saturday.

Currently we've given up 391 rushing yards all season

tumblr_m38u4yhJAX1r1h6e5.gif

:lol: Yeah, that's an impressive stat.

With the highest ranked rushing offense they've faced ONE top 50 rushing offense in the nation in Indiana...and one top total offense in the nation in Indiana.

MSU has utterly dominated the following ranked offenses in the nation:

• Western Michigan - 111th
  • South Florida - 123rd
  • Youngstown State - FCS No rank
  • Notre Dame - 69th
  • Iowa - 77th
  • Indiana - 8th
  • Purdue - 122nd
  • Illinois - 56th
  • Michigan - 86th

That number 8 offense of Indiana is 12th in the nation in passing and 33rd in the nation in rushing. Nebraska is 14th in the nation in rushing and 42nd in the nation in total offense.

Yeah it's not impressive so much anymore...they haven't seen a rushing offense like ours.

I don't care if they played the seven worst rushing teams in the nation that is still elite run defense and impressive as hell in today's era of college football if you ask me.

Our rushing offense managed a whopping 120 yards against Michigan. Our average is a lot better than that, but that's the team we have at the moment and we're going to need to do quite better than that to win Saturday.

But how can you call a defense elite when it hasn't faced good competition? On paper, MSU is great but have they really beaten anyone significant? They had an ugly game @ ND. No excuses necessary, they lost plain and simple. If NU studies film on that and also what Indiana did offensively, I think NU will be just fine.

I realize the defense for msu looks great on paper, but I watched that entire Purdue game and I'm not impressed. Looking at the schedule I'm even less impressed.

A win in Iowa city is easily there best win..

You know you have had an easy schedule to date when you can say our schedule has easily been more difficult.

I still think it'll be a close game but @ home vs. a team that struggled against Purdue.. I like our chances.

True they havent turned the ball over much this year. I just think the setting is right that they make some mistakes. They historically play badly in Lincoln (ok one time really). And that offnse will struggle with our newfound pass rush on top of our insane 90,000 screaming fans trying to stay warm, myself included. We hurry the QB hes bound to hit Evans or SJB right in the numbers once. MUST turn that into 6.