Is this where you thought Nebraska would be heading into Season 3 of Big Ten?

Something hit me after today's loss as I was trying to assess how to judge this year's team. I recall entering our first year of the Big Ten, and realizing that our first two seasons were going to be tough as we had to face OSU, Wisconsin, as well as those strong powerhouses on the Legends side. However, 2013 was the year we didn't have to play OSU and Wisconsin, and instead got Purdue and Illinois. This was the year we had a chance to run the table, so I thought back in 2011, and would be the year we would finally make a BCS game under Bo. I think that's what makes this season so hard to swallow...the lost opportunity to have a magical season. And now the reality has set in that, had we played the same schedule in 2013 as we did in 2011 and 2012, we would be 5-5 right now, and in the bottom half of the Legends division.

Obviously it's not where we thought we'd be. But we also couldnt see the growing pains for the youngins early in the year, and also didnt forsee having to be playing with half of our second string offense including QB and most of the Oline moving around.

And also, our three losses are to pretty solid teams. But we all but gave them away too. That's the most concerning part of it all.

Remember when Sports Illustrated put Nebraska on the cover, called them the Big Ten's new bully, and picked them to walk to the Rose Bowl in 2011?

That should tell you everything about what this teams trajectory and what expectations were, and where they are now.

• Fire 3

Something hit me after today's loss as I was trying to assess how to judge this year's team. I recall entering our first year of the Big Ten, and realizing that our first two seasons were going to be tough as we had to face OSU, Wisconsin, as well as those strong powerhouses on the Legends side. However, 2013 was the year we didn't have to play OSU and Wisconsin, and instead got Purdue and Illinois. This was the year we had a chance to run the table, so I thought back in 2011, and would be the year we would finally make a BCS game under Bo. I think that's what makes this season so hard to swallow...the lost opportunity to have a magical season. And now the reality has set in that, had we played the same schedule in 2013 as we did in 2011 and 2012, we would be 5-5 right now, and in the bottom half of the Legends division.

If you thought we would make a run at a BCS game with an incredibly inexperienced defense, you were only fooling yourself. I'm included in this group.

I thought we would have established an offensive identity and maintained Pelini's defensive performance. We've done neither, though we have an opportunity to do both. Let's make no mistake about this: we are in a bad division of a bad conference. There is still an opportunity for Pelini to accomplish something.

Remember when Sports Illustrated put Nebraska on the cover, called them the Big Ten's new bully, and picked them to walk to the Rose Bowl in 2011?

That should tell you everything about what this teams trajectory and what expectations were, and where they are now.

Like I said. This says more about the cluelessness of people than it says about our team. I'm sick of our team and coaches being blamed for not living up to expectations that shouldn't have existed in the first place.

I thought we would have established an offensive identity and maintained Pelini's defensive performance. We've done neither, though we have an opportunity to do both. Let's make no mistake about this: we are in a bad division of a bad conference. There is still an opportunity for Pelini to accomplish something.

You hit the nail on the head...bad division, bad conference, and with a soft schedule, this should have been the year to Pelini to accomplish something. What exactly is he going to accomplish this year? What major goal that the team set early in the year will be accomplished?

Like I said. This says more about the cluelessness of people than it says about our team. I'm sick of our team and coaches being blamed for not living up to expectations that shouldn't have existed in the first place.

Uh,

They were a team that got screwed out of a BCS berth in 09, and pissed it away the following year.

It wasn't unreasonable to think that a young team would make the next step in a weaker conference.

And if the bar at Nebraska doesn't include conference championships, or even being competitive in the pursuit of one as part of the first setting then count me the f#*k out.

• Fire 1

No I don't........If you guys think we can't get a great coaching staff you're wrong. We need to spend some money ( like OSU did) and get that fixed. Once we start winning consistently the recruiting will improve. We have the facilities and the strong fan base. WE ARE JUST WILDLY INCONSISTENT! If we don't fix this soon we will end up like Minnesota and other former powerhouses.

What expectations?

The expectation to come out in a big game and not show total incompetence and sh#t our pants and turn it over twice in our first 10 snaps, and having this same kind of thing happening over and over?

No, I never put expections of championships and X amount of wins on a coaches head. But the pattern of us not even being able to execute the simplest basics of the game of football time and time again is grounds for plenty of blame.

• Fire 2