Sip - feeling like 2003

da skers

http://journalstar.com/sports/columnists/sipple/steven-m-sipple-husker-season-beginning-to-feel-like/article_83cb0f92-0cf8-5445-bba2-10e96b49c1d2.html

This column has a portion in it where Sip talks about a Bo hater coming to him after the game with a big grin and firm happy handshake because he thinks this loss is enough to get him fired. I'm sorry but what bothers me most is the fact that people like that guy call themselves a fan. You should never be happy for someone else to fail. Even when BC was here tanking nearly every record we have, "flipping our culture" and more or less killing our sense of self that was Nebraska football I never wanted to the team to lose. I thought there needed to be changes, but I was never happy with anyone being nasty toward a coach, their family or a player. And I was always hurt when we lost.

This type of guy needs to be told to find another team to root for in my opinion. Even if he thinks Bo should be let go you still don't root for this type of an outcome. And I don't know how you could not look at that game and not feel like this was a heart breaking loss (like many of other coaches across the country this year) based on a lot of bad luck with turnovers and had very little do with coaching issues. I had problems with about 4 or 5 plays and calls on offense and defense. The effort was there. The teams cares and plays hard. That's what you look for. The team that beat us this week (MSU) was revered for this type of play the last two years and now look at the reward. It might not happen with our team but its much more likely than hitting the reset. Even Shitel made mention that this teams future is bright and that guy is better suited to judge a hot dog eating contest that actually know anything about a football team anymore.

• Fire 3

...or maybe he just feels that the only way for this team to succeed is for Bo to hurry up and fail. Otherwise it's another decade of participation ribbons...he wants them to succeed, just know's it isn't happening with the current regime.

Exactly. Once you become convinced that the only way we win big is if Bo is gone, then it's understandable to want to see him gone as soon as possible so we can win big.

...or maybe he just feels that the only way for this team to succeed is for Bo to hurry up and fail. Otherwise it's another decade of participation ribbons...he wants them to succeed, just know's it isn't happening with the current regime.

Welcome back, I was expecting you.

Flew out right after Michigan game last Saturday night, got back Friday. I'm honestly not that upset by the Michigan St. game. I see the defense progressing finally. Offense is ho-hum, but I think the team is in a much, much better place today than we were 3 weeks ago. I think we could compete against most teams now...I didn't think that with our leaky defense and sporadic offense 6 weeks ago. Problem is, we always have this feeling this time of year. Bo does "just" enough to create hope and buy himself another year. Then next year, we'll get curb stomped a couple of times...he'll change a whole bunch of things after the season is lost and win a few late games before a final blowout in a bowl game...but it'll be enough.

This is the first time a couple years I've seen a spark of improvement with the D though. Not sure if Bo took it over from JP, or if JP has taken it over from Bo...but whatever was done seems to have made a difference.

I guess maybe there are, but if so very few.

I imagine some feel that way about me, but nothing could be farther from the truth.

I supported Frank until the day he was gone.

I supported Bill until the day he was gone.

Bo, I have never been an avid supporter of, but have grown to appreciate what he has done, and understand why he is in the situation he is in.

I never want to see this program lose, but sometimes it takes going against the main stream to make things change. We are known for that.

As a program, we decided to take on a new head coach, one with absolutely no experience in building a program. He had only worked in established programs that were the top of the food chain. At the time had the top facilities at all three stops, had great head coaches at two of them. His responsibility was just his job, nothing more. Walking into being the head coach at Nebraska, had to be overwhelming, beyond any of our wildest dreams. But damit he has done a great job at some of the most important parts. Things as a program we should be very proud of.

I do not know if he can get the job done, I have no idea how solid is stance is with the Chancellor or the AD. But I saw a team this last weekend that played like a team, not a great team, but a team that trusted the other players, supported them when mistakes were made, and some played beyond their limits. That shows there is a pulse on this team.

I agree changes need to be made, but we should not fear those changes if they have to be made. Nebraska can and will find a new head coach if that is what is needed. But I think team/staff displayed a never say die attitude last week, my question is, will it be there against Penn State, if it is, then with out question Bo stays at least another year. If it is not, then he needs to go, as the kids have stopped believing. My guess is that we will see a team with a real chip on their shoulder. Win or lose is not the deciding factor.

Turnovers are mistakes, kids make them. How that is corrected, who knows. But the game other than some bone head calls by Beck (yet another beginner) was played well enough to win. We were given no chance in this game by any media talking heads. Had we held on to the ball, we would have won the game. That has to be heartbreaking for Bo.

There are good arguments on both sides of this. Staying the course as we did with Tom, paid off. Cutting ties and starting over, gives us a head start from a year from now. My gut feeling is that Bo is gone, no matter the wins or losses, I think the decision has been made for awhile. If the kids play this year out and win the games it will be a sad day in Nebraska if they fire Bo. My hopes are for two great hard fought games, winning both and a chant to keep Bo by the fans during Iowa game. It is up to the fans and the team, as they are the only ones who can save Bo's job. I think he has done all he can, and there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Flew out right after Michigan game last Saturday night, got back Friday. I'm honestly not that upset by the Michigan St. game. I see the defense progressing finally. Offense is ho-hum, but I think the team is in a much, much better place today than we were 3 weeks ago. I think we could compete against most teams now...I didn't think that with our leaky defense and sporadic offense 6 weeks ago. Problem is, we always have this feeling this time of year. Bo does "just" enough to create hope and buy himself another year. Then next year, we'll get curb stomped a couple of times...he'll change a whole bunch of things after the season is lost and win a few late games before a final blowout in a bowl game...but it'll be enough.

This is the first time a couple years I've seen a spark of improvement with the D though. Not sure if Bo took it over from JP, or if JP has taken it over from Bo...but whatever was done seems to have made a difference.

I agree its been a theme the last 2 or 3 years that we stumble get our crap together and play better ball. However isn't that as much about player attitude as anything? I'm sorry but working with kids from Pee-wee up to high school there is a huge factor of not understanding what it takes to play hard and try hard as a team.

TO came and spoke to our group this summer and he stated that as he ended his coaching days there were fewer and fewer kids that understood that concept and it was getting much more difficult to teach football because you were dealing with more "mental hurdles" and "family issue" from a players home. Its everywhere. I respect some place like Bama that's doing a good job of winning. I do think they would struggle if they didn't "bend" the rules on oversign each year. You don't have to find the kids who will outwork everyone else when they are just that much better as athletes. A 4 yr scholarship would change their team quickly and we'd see good teams but more 8-4 and 9-3 types because lesser talent and weaker minded players wouldn't be run off (ala Marrow).

I agree its been a theme the last 2 or 3 years that we stumble get our crap together and play better ball. However isn't that as much about player attitude as anything? I'm sorry but working with kids from Pee-wee up to high school there is a huge factor of not understanding what it takes to play hard and try hard as a team.

TO came and spoke to our group this summer and he stated that as he ended his coaching days there were fewer and fewer kids that understood that concept and it was getting much more difficult to teach football because you were dealing with more "mental hurdles" and "family issue" from a players home. Its everywhere. I respect some place like Bama that's doing a good job of winning. I do think they would struggle if they didn't "bend" the rules on oversign each year. You don't have to find the kids who will outwork everyone else when they are just that much better as athletes. A 4 yr scholarship would change their team quickly and we'd see good teams but more 8-4 and 9-3 types because lesser talent and weaker minded players wouldn't be run off (ala Marrow).

I've seen this mentioned a few times today. If this is really such a serious problem with today's athletes, why do other teams not seem to have it? Does Baylor oversign? Ohio State? Florida State?

• Fire 1

Whats your definition of success? I'd say he's been very successful and the potential to get better is much greater than it is to get worse.

If its winning the B10 and NC every year that possibility is so remote it isn't even funny. (However the chance will be better now with a playoff.) Most people here clamor for people like Art down at Baylor. He's had as many losing seasons as winning and he's never won a conference championship or NC. Unless you choose one of about 3 or 4 coaches in the nation the guy we get isn't going to be an upgrade. Even Art on paper isn't a better coach that what we have. Yes...hes on a run. He's had runs in the past. Most coaches have also had their ass handed to them just like Bo and Art. We don't notice because we don't follow those teams as close.

• Fire 7

Whats your definition of success? I'd say he's been very successful and the potential to get better is much greater than it is to get worse.

If its winning the B10 and NC every year that possibility is so remote it isn't even funny. (However the chance will be better now with a playoff.) Most people here clamor for people like Art down at Baylor. He's had as many losing seasons as winning and he's never won a conference championship or NC. Unless you choose one of about 3 or 4 coaches in the nation the guy we get isn't going to be an upgrade. Even Art on paper isn't a better coach that what we have. Yes...hes on a run. He's had runs in the past. Most coaches have also had their ass handed to them just like Bo and Art. We don't notice because we don't follow those teams as close.

Briles took over Baylor in 2008, the same year Pelini took over here. In year 6, Briles is 9-0 and in position to win the conference and potentially play for the national title. Pelini is 7-3 and in position to win the Buffalo Wild Wings bowl.

Briles took over Baylor in 2008, the same year Pelini took over here. In year 6, Briles is 9-0 and in position to win the conference and potentially play for the national title. Pelini is 7-3 and in position to win the Buffalo Wild Wings bowl.

Briles also went 4-8, 4-8, 7-6, 10-3, 8-5, and now finally 9-0.

If you're trying to make a point it's not working.

He probably does feel that way - doesn't mean he should be happy with a huge grin about it. That's not something to be joyful about.

I've seen this mentioned a few times today. If this is really such a serious problem with today's athletes, why do other teams not seem to have it? Does Baylor oversign? Ohio State? Florida State?

Other teams are having issues. You're looking at a small slice of those teams success. Baylor had one of the most talented QBs ever and when he got hurt the team quit and went 4-8. He came back and they still only went 10-3. Ohio State 3 years ago was in shambles because the team quit when they got shell shocked and lost the head coach. Same players more or less went undefeated last year although their schedule help them a lot. FSU plays in a crap conference. Until last year they wanted to a fire Jimbo because the payers quit on him and they went 9-4. That team quit on their great coach Bobby each of the last two years they were there. I'll even go further and bring up Texas. They usually have a top class each year. Mack Brown has been very vocal the last 3 year about his teams struggles being about players feeling entitled and giving up when things get tough. Hell look at the James kid at Texas Tech.

It happens. When faced with difficulty many more time than not kids today give up that week and want a fresh start the next week. Now...I'm not stating that our players always play that way. More often than not they give their best, but even going back under Billy C they quit when things got tough and thats more often than not because mom and dad say lets find a different team rather than get your ass back in there.