Sipple: "It would be wrong to break up this staff."

Ulty

At the VERY least Ross els needs to go. Special teams have bee the worst I've ever seen it and it's not helping our offense at all. All season we have been trying to find the right combination at linebacker which is another Els coached unit. You would think after spring ball and non conference play you would have at least a couple of LB positions filled but we had none. He is also the recruiting coordinator which also is under achieving, so I'd say let Els go for sure. Also wouldn't be against replacing the DC too and OC.

Personally, I think the LB's have played reasonably well, considering the only person we had coming back with any experience at the beginning of the year was Santos. Unless you count Zaire, who had played a grand total of one game on a shredded knee. For a group that is being led by True Frosh, a RS Sophomore, and an inexperienced Junior, I think they've done dang well.

There's talk we'll hire a full-time recruiting director after the season, so that is an absolute necessity, IMO. It relinquishes one more responsibility from an overworked Els as well as maximizes our chances to improve on a perceived weakness for our program.

If you bring in a real ST coach, find a full-time RC, and leave Els alone as strictly the LB coach, that spot is fine.

There's talk we'll hire a full-time recruiting director after the season, so that is an absolute necessity, IMO. It relinquishes one more responsibility from an overworked Els as well as maximizes our chances to improve on a perceived weakness for our program.

If you bring in a real ST coach, find a full-time RC, and leave Els alone as strictly the LB coach, that spot is fine.

Exactly. Just relinquish him of ST, and give it to whomever takes over TE's position. Cotton isn't doing anything there, and simply, we can't hire on another assistant, unless we boot one.

I read this Sipple editorial this morning, and he's acting like a member of the White House press corps before the Obamacare debacle, trying to suck up to Pelini and stay on good side in hopes of being rewarded with questions and access moving forward. Everyone knows Bo will shut out some members of the media he doesn't agree with (in terms of responding to their questions), and Sipple is doing some major sucking up. To say that there should be NO changes to the coaching staff is completely off base, and I've lost a good deal of respect for Sipple.

Yeah yeah yeah. Sipple's a sunshine pumper. So what. He's also pretty good freinds with Bo on a personal level. Moreso than any other reporter that does anything in regards to Nebraska football. Dont like? Dont read it. You want your objective, honest fix? Read up on McKewon and Shatel. Want your negative, nebraska sucks, fire Bo chatter, well then fill up on Chatelain and a pinch of Barfneckt. It's not science guys. it's common sense and shouldnt have to be explained.

Yeah yeah yeah. Sipple's a sunshine pumper. So what. He's also pretty good freinds with Bo on a personal level. Moreso than any other reporter that does anything in regards to Nebraska football. Dont like? Dont read it. You want your objective, honest fix? Read up on McKewon and Shatel. Want your negative, nebraska sucks, fire Bo chatter, well then fill up on Chatelain and a pinch of Barfneckt. It's not science guys. it's common sense and shouldnt have to be explained.

I agree with you, but normally Sipple can hide some of his pro-Bo feelings a bit more, or at least make a point worth considering.

I agree with you, but normally Sipple can hide some of his pro-Bo feelings a bit more, or at least make a point worth considering.

Sipple and Shatel both wrote articles in consideration that Pelini is building something here. Pelini is fine.

We can and should be doing better. We should expect more. Pelini and his staff have grossly underperformed.

One could argue the exact opposite. This team this season is marred by injuries on offense, and the defense is one of the youngest in the nation, especially in the front 7. You could easily argue that due to these things, this team is overachieving.

I agree that we should be doing better. But if you can't see the progress and the heart of this young group of players, then I can't help you.

You could make those arguments, no doubt. But when does the time for excuses come to an end? We have injuries, so does everyone else. We have to play young kids, so does everyone else. Florida State lost 7 or 8 kids just on their defense to the NFL and their defense is better this season than it was last season. They're starting a redshirt freshman with as much game experience as Armstrong had and they're undefeated and he's probably the frontrunner for the Heisman trophy. So the circumstances we find ourselves in are hardly unique. And the continued excuses get more and more strained.

They're not excuses - not for me at least. I just get so irritated with people who either take one extreme or the other. It's okay to support Pelini while acknowledging his shortcomings. IMO, his shortcomings are things that he can work to improve/change. I just feel great about the growth and direction of this young defense, and I think that under Bo, they could be a really really special group for a few years to come. Obviously, there are changes that need to be made. The head coach is not one of them.

We can and should be doing better. We should expect more. Pelini and his staff have grossly underperformed.

One could argue the exact opposite. This team this season is marred by injuries on offense, and the defense is one of the youngest in the nation, especially in the front 7. You could easily argue that due to these things, this team is overachieving.

I agree that we should be doing better. But if you can't see the progress and the heart of this young group of players, then I can't help you.

You could make those arguments, no doubt. But when does the time for excuses come to an end? We have injuries, so does everyone else. We have to play young kids, so does everyone else. Florida State lost 7 or 8 kids just on their defense to the NFL and their defense is better this season than it was last season. They're starting a redshirt freshman with as much game experience as Armstrong had and they're undefeated and he's probably the frontrunner for the Heisman trophy. So the circumstances we find ourselves in are hardly unique. And the continued excuses get more and more strained.

They're not excuses - not for me at least. I just get so irritated with people who either take one extreme or the other. It's okay to support Pelini while acknowledging his shortcomings. IMO, his shortcomings are things that he can work to improve/change. I just feel great about the growth and direction of this young defense, and I think that under Bo, they could be a really really special group for a few years to come. Obviously, there are changes that need to be made. The head coach is not one of them.

I agree that there are many on here who argue to one extreme or another. I think Bo has many positive qualities, and passion and player loyalty is near the top of the list. With that said, I also agree with many on here that he's had 6 years to turn this into a great program again and win conference championships and major bowls, and we've been completely shut out. It's true that we've had many injuries this year, but so have other teams. If we had the 2011 and 2012 schedule this year, we would be lucky to be 6-5 right now as we likely would have lost to OSU and Wisconsin, and the NW win was an exciting one, yet one we could have easily lost. So given the soft schedule this year, I honestly thought we would and should be 10-1 right now with a chance at a major BCS bowl game. My vote would be to bring in some new coaching blood, but do agree that there is a lot of good young talent on defense now (not so much on offense).