Sipple: "It would be wrong to break up this staff."

Ulty

We can't afford to fire a 9-win (maybe 8-win) head coach... for the second time... in a decade... Doing so would be idiotic and would set the program back even further.

this is a myth. bo was hired to win championships, he knows that. he has not. the next guy hired, whenever that may be, will be hired to win championships. and the next guy will know that.

i do not want a coach who is afraid of high standards and great expectations.

I don't see your argument. Plain and simple, if you fire a 9-win head coach (ESPECIALLY for the 2nd time in a decade) it will be difficult to find a big name head coach who will even think about getting hired by Nebraska without laughing.

Speculation.

Especially if they do end up landing Tressel or Richt.

Also, Callahan wasn't such a bad hire. He didn't work out -- as the vast majority of hires don't, because there are only so many Nick Sabans out there -- but he recruited his butt off. He walked into bare cupboards and left with them well-stocked for the next guy and a better coach to do good work with them.

We'll find our guy eventually (and maybe that is Bo; it's possible).

We can't afford to fire a 9-win (maybe 8-win) head coach... for the second time... in a decade... Doing so would be idiotic and would set the program back even further.

this is a myth. bo was hired to win championships, he knows that. he has not. the next guy hired, whenever that may be, will be hired to win championships. and the next guy will know that.

I don't see your argument. Plain and simple, if you fire a 9-win head coach (ESPECIALLY for the 2nd time in a decade) it will be difficult to find a big name head coach who will even think about getting hired by Nebraska without laughing.

Speculation.

Also, Callahan wasn't such a bad hire. He didn't work out -- as the vast majority of hires don't, because there are only so many Nick Sabans out there -- but he recruited his butt off. He walked into bare cupboards and left with them well-stocked for the next guy and a better coach to do good work with them.

It's amazing how people don't learn from history. This program has been in this situation before. Firing Solich is regarded by many as a huge mistake, and yet people are sitting on their couch proclaiming that we should make the same mistake a 2nd time. Sorry, but that sounds ridiculous.

Regarding your paragraph about Callahan... Are you serious?.. He alienated former players, he destroyed the walk-on program, and he tried to implement a pass-first offense. What part of that hire was good? And as far as recruiting, he made promises to players to get them to come here. Yes, he recruited some great players, but the cupboard was not "well-stocked." The team's depth was always a question mark in his tenure. We are much better set for the future right now under Bo.

We will see. I still think Tommy has the potential to be very good, he just needs to be put in a situation to succeed first of all, and second, when he gets put in those situations, he needs to take care of the ball. He has the potential to be effective even against the best defenses in the nation and has proved so. He just needs to take care of the ball.

And as everyone has already said, Johnny Stanton should give Tommy a tough battle for the starting position next year. I'm personally not worried about the QB position.

Agreed. Tommy has definitely struggled but you have to remember that he probably got very few reps with the other #1s until after the UCLA game. That would be the same everywhere. The experience he's gotten this year will help. He and Stanton will have all spring ball and fall camp to split reps or until one of them wins the job. I don't have a big worry that one or the other (or both) will be in good shape by September.

It's amazing how people don't learn from history. This program has been in this situation before. Firing Solich is regarded by many as a huge mistake, and yet people are sitting on their couch proclaiming that we should make the same mistake a 2nd time. Sorry, but that sounds ridiculous.

Many of the same people who say it was the worst decision ever to fire Solich are saying Pelini is on thin ice. Pelini hasn't been quite to the top end like Solich but hasn't been as bad as the low points either. :dunno

Speculation.

Most ADs are not interested getting it right eventually. It gets them let go before eventually comes. Huskershark is correct, there's a huge risk involved in firing a winning coach. That's why it doesn't happen often.

well, i do not see your argument. you are making an assumption based on an analogy. but you assume all the relevant factors are equal. they are not. bo has been given 6 years and we are in the same spot (actually worse) than his second year here. frank had seriously retooled his staff and showed a great turnaround in his 6th year. he also had a big 12 champ. to show for his time and an mnc appearance; as well as 10, 11, and 12 win seasons. again, bo is, at best, stagnant right now. with bo, all we have is to hope that his young talent pans out. and finally, the administration was unprepared to replace frank. hopefully, the lesson learned would be to not fire a coach without a plan. i could go on and on with the differences between the bo and solich situations.

but i guess you know the mindset of every possible coach we may attempt to hire, so i guess you must be right.

• Fire 1

The point is we'll hire a coach that can take this program back into the Top 10 and win B1G titles eventually. If we don't feel we have that currently, then we try to find it. If we don't succeed, we try somewhere else after giving the previous hire some time to show he can do it.

Bo's had six years. How many does he need? If Bo left for another job, would the next coach get six years to win a CCG or have a season with fewer than 4 losses? I'd say that's plenty of time to be able to say 'We want to go another direction.'

Hey, maybe Bo is that guy. Maybe he breaks through next year. Or maybe the next four go kind of like the last four.

Speculation.

Regarding your paragraph about Callahan... Are you serious?.. He alienated former players, he destroyed the walk-on program, and he tried to implement a pass-first offense. What part of that hire was good? And as far as recruiting, he made promises to players to get them to come here. Yes, he recruited some great players, but the cupboard was not "well-stocked." The team's depth was always a question mark in his tenure. We are much better set for the future right now under Bo.

Are you trying to rewrite history? This post is the perfect example of someone who knows absolutely nothing about what happened. Bo has also alienated players, big deal. Why do you think they are talking openly about him needed to hit the road?

Destroyed the walk on program? Are you freaking serious? The walk on program was "destroyed" by new NCAA rules in 1998-1999 that prevented the amount of coaches you could have. He kept them at the same level as Frank did after that point. Besides, walk on's play a very, very small role in actually winning and losing games. Players that are talented enough to earn scholarships are where you win and lose games.

Yes depth was a problem, but that was because Frank left him with little to nothing to work with. Why do you think he had to sign 33 guys in 2005 with a lot of them coming from CC? That is because our idiot AD put him in the position that he had to win now with no talent. That is why SP had such a hard time finding a replacement for Frank, he set unrealistic expectations with no talent to meet those expectations.

Why do you think that Bo had such a good start to his HC career? He did something that Bill couldn't do, get the most out of some talented players. But you can't even compare Bo's recruiting to Bill's because it isn't even close. Not to mention Bill had a bunch if sheeple such as yourself which just go by what they hear on TV or their friends and believe every bit of it and never gave him a real chance to work out here.

But there must be changes to the staff, this team has sometimes seemed to win games in spite of our coaching and playcalling.

I am for Pelini staying. The defense has returned. But Beck needs to figure it out or go. You don't screw up simple things like what to do on 2nd and 1 when you have one of the nation's best running backs.

• Fire 1

But there must be changes to the staff, this team has sometimes seemed to win games in spite of our coaching and playcalling.

I am for Pelini staying. The defense has returned. But Beck needs to figure it out or go. You don't screw up simple things like what to do on 2nd and 1 when you have one of the nation's best running backs.

I'm with this train of thought right here.

The point is we'll hire a coach that can take this program back into the Top 10 and win B1G titles eventually. If we don't feel we have that currently, then we try to find it. If we don't succeed, we try somewhere else after giving the previous hire some time to show he can do it.

Bo's had six years. How many does he need? If Bo left for another job, would the next coach get six years to win a CCG or have a season with fewer than 4 losses? I'd say that's plenty of time to be able to say 'We want to go another direction.'

Hey, maybe Bo is that guy. Maybe he breaks through next year. Or maybe the next four go kind of like the last four.

Shawn Eichorst also puts his butt on the line if he fires Bo and his hire doesn't work out. Does he really want to do that?

well, i do not see your argument. you are making an assumption based on an analogy. but you assume all the relevant factors are equal. they are not. bo has been given 6 years and we are in the same spot (actually worse) than his second year here. frank had seriously retooled his staff and showed a great turnaround in his 6th year. he also had a big 12 champ. to show for his time and an mnc appearance; as well as 10, 11, and 12 win seasons. again, bo is, at best, stagnant right now. with bo, all we have is to hope that his young talent pans out. and finally, the administration was unprepared to replace frank. hopefully, the lesson learned would be to not fire a coach without a plan. i could go on and on with the differences between the bo and solich situations.

but i guess you know the mindset of every possible coach we may attempt to hire, so i guess you must be right.

As you stated, all the relevant factors were not equal. Frank's 9-3 record included exactly one win against a team that finished with a winning record (9-4 S Miss). And Bo hasn't had a 7-7 record to have to recover from.

Add in the numerous notations (including in this thread) that we had nowhere near enough talent on the roster when Frank left compared to increasing talent now and there are a lot more things to consider.

• Fire 1