Sipple: "It would be wrong to break up this staff."

Ulty

I'm not sure how to feel about Pelini at this point. I waver back and forth, because there are a lot of factors at play here.

First, he does win a lot of games. Not big games, but he still puts out a respectable product. The defense has shown signs of improvement, although we still allow far too many rushing yards and the opponents we showed the most improvement against are fairly miserable teams. But that is a big factor going into next year. Also, he does a lot of things the right way. Graduation rates, GPAs, players mostly staying out of trouble, etc. These are all very commendable things.

We're perpetually "close" with Pelini. Whatever "close" means. We are right there, waiting to break through... and then we fall flat on our faces on the biggest stages. I guess the problem I have, is with the systemic issues that never seem to be fixed. Stupid penalties, dropped passes, fumbles, interceptions, etc. I mean we had 2 or 3 illegal formation penalties yesterday. That is completely absurd for game 11. Game 1, fine. Game 11, unacceptable. Yet year after year, game after game, the same issues crop up and bite us. Special teams are a complete and utter joke at this point, aside from one awesome return. Jordan Westerkamp, bless his heart, averages 2.7 yards per return. 2.7. Take away one 19 yard return and he averages a nearly incomprehensible 1.7 yards per return. You'd get that by falling forward every time you caught a punt. Santino Panico averaged 3.1 in 2004 and became a standard joke, representative of the Callahan era.

I guess, at this point, whatever happens is fine. If he's fired, fine. Include the audio tape and his run of looking for other jobs, and he's done more than enough to warrant being fired. If he's kept, fine. He's done enough to warrant that too. But if he's kept, I would expect to see staff changes. At the very least, hire a competent special teams coach. But I would also like to see an experienced defensive coordinator hired. If no staff changes are made, he has one more year, in my book. One more year to win big. A 9-4 season next year won't be enough.

I've disagreed with much of your comments on HB lately, but this sums up my position pretty well also. My biggest gripe with the staff is that Els has too much on his plate. Make somebody else the special teams coach. Maybe Bo should do it like Beamer does. But Els has done well with recruiting and the LB's this year, so I wouldn't mind him staying on in that capacity. I've defended Cotton in the past saying we need to wait and see what results over time, but with the OL improving and the TE regressing, I think it's time to find someone else. OC, DC, and the other coaches are doing fine IMO. Of course, they could always do better, but everybody is an armchair QB and OC, so the complaints about those need to be taken with a grain of salt.

All in all, I'd be disappointed if Bo is fired because I think the next couple years are shaping up to be special. But if Bo is gone, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Coleman has strong recruiting connections Iin the Northeast. I'm sorry but this board could do a better job than Ross Els. I would imagine our recruiting board is more in depth than his as well as fixing special teams. There is a reason he was in mid major ball for his 20 year career not to mention a position coach at that level the entire time. I have always heard good things about Coleman. Is he the only man capable of being our LB coach etc? I don't think so but I would consider him an improvement over Els 10 out of 10 times

Coleman has strong recruiting connections Iin the Northeast. I'm sorry but this board could do a better job than Ross Els. I would imagine our recruiting board is more in depth than his as well as fixing special teams. There is a reason he was in mid major ball for his 20 year career not to mention a position coach at that level the entire time. I have always heard good things about Coleman. Is he the only man capable of being our LB coach etc? I don't think so but I would consider him an improvement over Els 10 out of 10 times

This made me laugh out loud. I have this image of fans actually thinking they know more than the coaches in any capacity. Good stuff, Hedley.

• Fire 1

I see a lot of good reasons pro and con, on keeping Bo. I for one want him to stay, at least another year. Maybe I am being fooled by the way the defense has looked lately. Then I think, well those weren't exactly juggernauts on offense, we have played lately. Then I wonder if we could have had a much easier time of it, without all the turnovers, and that this team is just about to turn the corner. Then I have to wonder if anyone is really addressing the turnover problem, and if they are, why isn't it getting any better. I look at our punt returner and think maybe we should have someone else back there. Then I watch as five cover guy from PSU lined up in a line waiting just a yard or two from our returner and think, can't we slow at least some of their guys down, and give him a chance to make a move or two. Maybe a couple of asst coaching changes would be ok. I really don't know who, though some of you seem to have some good ideas. This team looks to be just about to take over the game, and then some bad luck, or what ever you want to call it happens. Maybe next year is the one, but heck I said that last year. Any way just glad we won and looks like we could get to 10 wins. With a little lock or less turnovers, or both. lol GBR!!!

I see Shatel has his similar article up today as well.

Any win is better than a loss, and yes, the team has shown some incredible guts in the past few weeks. But when the next sentence in any article says, "it doesn't matter how the team wins" it loses me a little bit. This in not 1999 where people are mad about playcalling in the middle of a 38-3 win against a ranked team. This was a triple overtime win against a 6 win team and is racked with sanctions. Nebraska is hurt, but they're replacing them with scholarship athletes. If PSU is at full strength we all aren't mocking their kicker, we're cursing him. And Nebraska had a minus turnover ratio AGAIN.

They won, and that's a good thing, but there are troubles afoot that go beyond bad luck. I'd like an article wondering WHY there's so many injuries, and winning again despite themselves. Comparisons to programs like Oregon and Alabama other than "9 wins" or "they got blown out too, so we're not too different".

That would be good writing. This reeks of fanboy journalism.

• Fire 4

Any win is better than a loss, and yes, the team has shown some incredible guts in the past few weeks. But when the next sentence in any article says, "it doesn't matter how the team wins" it loses me a little bit. This in not 1999 where people are mad about playcalling in the middle of a 38-3 win against a ranked team. This was a triple overtime win against a 6 win team and is racked with sanctions. Nebraska is hurt, but they're replacing them with scholarship athletes. If PSU is at full strength we all aren't mocking their kicker, we're cursing him. And Nebraska had a minus turnover ratio AGAIN.

They won, and that's a good thing, but there are troubles afoot that go beyond bad luck. I'd like an article wondering WHY there's so many injuries, and winning again despite themselves. Comparisons to programs like Oregon and Alabama other than "9 wins" or "they got blown out too, so we're not too different".

I agree with your sentiment.

FYI: it was a single overtime not triple.

I don't have an issue with either article. This team is shredded with injuries and are still competiting and palying their butts off despite setbacks and have a legitimate shot at a ten win season.

By comparison, Georgia had some injuries and went from a top ten team that knocked off LSU to a 7-4 team that has underachieved.

Florida was a top 10 team at one point and is not 4-7 and just lost to Georgia Southern and gave up 400+ rushing yards. Their D was supposed to be their strong point.

Oregon was considered by many to be the best team in the nation, they had one loss and came out and got their butts kicked by Arizona and showed no heart or pride. Say what you want about our team but they fight until the very end.

Texas A&M has one of the best QB's in the nation and is sitting at 8-3 with a very healthy team.

Look what Pelini and staff has accomplished this year with a very beat up team and it is quite impressive. I think they have done a very good job this year and I have no problems with this staff returning next year. Yes, we have issues to address but our staff has done extremely well.

• Fire 1

Need a new special teams coach, DC and strength and conditioning coach. Not too pleased with the OC but i would give him one more year i think due to all the turn over at QB, WR and o-line. Overall when you put it all together it really comes down to not having an experienced HC and doesn't bode well for Bo's future. He really is overwhelmed i think.

Of course you would. But that's like me saying I would consider spaghetti over asparagus and improvement 10 out of 10 times. I hate asparagus and if I could choose anything to eat, I'd choose spaghetti.

I'm willing to bet there are some things that Els does better than Coleman and there are some things that Coleman does better than Els. I also think that Els has too much on his plate and if we hired a separate ST guy, we would be much better off in ST without having to get rid of somebody.

As a dude who was calling for Bo to leave, I think Bo needs to stay. Not the first time I have been wrong, he has these guys playing their hearts out especially on Defense. Are there issues that plague this team? Of course there are, find me a team this year outside of Mobile or Tallahassee that doesn't have issues. Re-shuffle the deck with the coaching staff, maybe give Els one less thing (he coaches LBs, Special Teams, and coordinates recruiting), or bring in another guy to coach special teams. Even with the refs favoring Penn State, the good guys won in the face of adversity. Great job all around. Proud to be a Husker Fan, GBR.

I agree with your sentiment.

FYI: it was a single overtime not triple.

Oops. I am unintelligent.