Sipple: "It would be wrong to break up this staff."

Ulty

How different would the O perform if the line were even 75% healthy. In August people thought Beck would be after this season for a HC job, now he should be canned. But regarding Bo, I think he should stay even though I'm not, or ever have been, his biggest fan. I'm just not sure if his leaving after this season wasn't decided clear back in September or whenever that dang tape came out.

The point is we'll hire a coach that can take this program back into the Top 10 and win B1G titles eventually. If we don't feel we have that currently, then we try to find it. If we don't succeed, we try somewhere else after giving the previous hire some time to show he can do it.

Bo's had six years. How many does he need? If Bo left for another job, would the next coach get six years to win a CCG or have a season with fewer than 4 losses? I'd say that's plenty of time to be able to say 'We want to go another direction.'

Hey, maybe Bo is that guy. Maybe he breaks through next year. Or maybe the next four go kind of like the last four.

Shawn Eichorst also puts his butt on the line if he fires Bo and his hire doesn't work out. Does he really want to do that?

He has no reason to fire Pelini. I was wrong last week, the injuries are a fair explanation for this season, and all things considered, put the season in a positive light relatively. Georgia and Florida have had slightly worse injury issues and they have completely fallen apart. Nebraska will finish the season with at least 8 wins, possibly 9 or even 10. That's really good.

But there must be changes to the staff, this team has sometimes seemed to win games in spite of our coaching and playcalling.

I am for Pelini staying. The defense has returned. But Beck needs to figure it out or go. You don't screw up simple things like what to do on 2nd and 1 when you have one of the nation's best running backs.

i agree with you, but am pretty concerned. has the defense returned? or are we playing against some pretty bad offensives right now? the defense looked good before, during that stretch starting with the second half of sdsu, and onto purdue and illinois. then minny made us look like fools again. we may have the same defense, but they are benefiting from the soft schedule.

• Fire 1

As you stated, all the relevant factors were not equal. Frank's 9-3 record included exactly one win against a team that finished with a winning record (9-4 S Miss). And Bo hasn't had a 7-7 record to have to recover from.

Add in the numerous notations (including in this thread) that we had nowhere near enough talent on the roster when Frank left compared to increasing talent now and there are a lot more things to consider.

i am not sure what your point is.

But there must be changes to the staff, this team has sometimes seemed to win games in spite of our coaching and playcalling.

I am for Pelini staying. The defense has returned. But Beck needs to figure it out or go. You don't screw up simple things like what to do on 2nd and 1 when you have one of the nation's best running backs.

i agree with you, but am pretty concerned. has the defense returned? or are we playing against some pretty bad offensives right now? the defense looked good before, during that stretch starting with the second half of sdsu, and onto purdue and illinois. then minny made us look like fools again. we may have the same defense, but they are benefiting from the soft schedule.

That's a fair point, but I'd like to think that the change is mostly due to growth from their youth.

How different would the O perform if the line were even 75% healthy. In August people thought Beck would be after this season for a HC job, now he should be canned. But regarding Bo, I think he should stay even though I'm not, or ever have been, his biggest fan. I'm just not sure if his leaving after this season wasn't decided clear back in September or whenever that dang tape came out.

Highly doubtful. He would have been immediately dismissed and an interim named.

Let me be clear guys, I don't know if parting ways with Bo would be the right call or not. None of us have that crystal ball. However, at this juncture, I think it is reasonable to say it's a legitimate and justifiable option. I don't know which way they'll decide, but some people are stating the opinion that it would be objectively ridiculous and that Bo's job stability shouldn't even be questioned. I disagree with that. If Bo stays, they're giving him more chances because they want to, not because they need to.

It's always stuck in my mind since Osborne mentioned it after audio gate, about how fan support is NU's biggest asset. This staff has been (let's be kind and say) average at the whole embracing the fanbase thing, which I think is probably causing them more issues in the eyes of the administration than they would otherwise have with an overall fairly solid record.

• Fire 2

Most of the games this year where teams have piled up yards are because we were so terribly mis-aligned that we had no one there to defend. Wyoming, second half of UCLA (to some extent), SDSU were definitely in that category. Minny out-physicaled us but also used a lot of motion and odd formations to get us out of position. Part of that is problem with scheme but also just guys not recognizing what's going on. Really only Minny made our defense look bad since we started B1G play. I'd say one out of seven games can be considered the anomaly, not the trend.

How different would the O perform if the line were even 75% healthy.

I don't know. As a group, I think they've been playing better recently. Not sure what to attribute that to. But thinking back to how our offensvie line played during the the Minnesota and UCLA games, I don't think the injuries have hurt that group, at all.

It's weird because I do still think Long was our best individual lineman. Maybe the other guys knew they had to step it up without him and rose to the occasion. :dunno

As you stated, all the relevant factors were not equal. Frank's 9-3 record included exactly one win against a team that finished with a winning record (9-4 S Miss). And Bo hasn't had a 7-7 record to have to recover from.

Add in the numerous notations (including in this thread) that we had nowhere near enough talent on the roster when Frank left compared to increasing talent now and there are a lot more things to consider.

i am not sure what your point is.

You said not everything is equal and Frank showed a "great turnaround" in his sixth year. I agree with you that not everything is equal but for different reasons. Frank had a "great turnaround" but Bo hasn't had that bad of a season to have to turnaround from. And I think we are in a much better position talent wise now than when Frank was fired. Just because Bo's record is similar now to what it was in his second year doesn't mean things aren't improving.

Highly doubtful. He would have been immediately dismissed and an interim named.

How different would the O perform if the line were even 75% healthy.

I don't know. As a group, I think they've been playing better recently. Not sure what to attribute that to. But thinking back to how our offensvie line played during the the Minnesota and UCLA games, I don't think the injuries have hurt that group, at all.

It's weird because I do still think Long was our best individual lineman. Maybe the other guys knew they had to step it up without him and rose to the occasion. :dunno

that's true, although the UCLA game is hard to dissect due to massive hemorrhaging in all phases of the game