Sipple: "It would be wrong to break up this staff."

Ulty

You are going to honestly say that Ross Els is a great coach? I'm not even going to attempt to show you how silly that is. I'm just going to pray for you

So you don't think our LBs are better this year than last year? Or you just don't have an argument so you just run off at the keyboard?

That's basically what he is doing. Next he will say that our recruiting hasn't improved since Els got here.

You are going to honestly say that Ross Els is a great coach? I'm not even going to attempt to show you how silly that is. I'm just going to pray for you

So you don't think our LBs are better this year than last year? Or you just don't have an argument so you just run off at the keyboard?

Plus 1 RUN OFF AT THE KEYBOARD! I laughed!

We can and should be doing better. We should expect more. Pelini and his staff have grossly underperformed.

One could argue the exact opposite. This team this season is marred by injuries on offense, and the defense is one of the youngest in the nation, especially in the front 7. You could easily argue that due to these things, this team is overachieving.

I agree that we should be doing better. But if you can't see the progress and the heart of this young group of players, then I can't help you.

You could make those arguments, no doubt. But when does the time for excuses come to an end? We have injuries, so does everyone else. We have to play young kids, so does everyone else. Florida State lost 7 or 8 kids just on their defense to the NFL and their defense is better this season than it was last season. They're starting a redshirt freshman with as much game experience as Armstrong had and they're undefeated and he's probably the frontrunner for the Heisman trophy. So the circumstances we find ourselves in are hardly unique. And the continued excuses get more and more strained.

-SNIP-

"He told me a few weeks ago his coaching staff "is the tightest staff in America."

That's part of the problem. The sewing circle needs to be broken apart. 0

Why?

Improvement. Outside voices offering different theories and methods. The portrayal of this staff getting along all chummy like and the only method of criticism being Bo screaming someone stupid has produced nothing more than 4 losses a year with progressively easier schedules.

Some issues that HAVE to be addressed:

1) special teams. Currently, they are absolutely abysmal - especially punt returns. There is no reason for there to be zero threat of a return while simultaneously showing zero threat of blocking punts. This should be priority #1.

I think our Special Teams gets lumped together too much based on our horrendous punt returns but other than that, we're actually pretty good. Kickoffs are great (#11 in the country in return yardage allowed). Other than one shaky game, FGs and PATs have been very good. Kick returns started great and have tailed off (until Bell yesterday) but still #22 in the country in average return. Punting has been shaky but better lately. It's mainly the punt return that needs totally re-done.

Good points all. Our STs run the full gamut from meh to very good. I guess people are down on STs in general because of our perplexing punt return tactics.

-SNIP-

"He told me a few weeks ago his coaching staff "is the tightest staff in America."

Why?

Improvement. Outside voices offering different theories and methods. The portrayal of this staff getting along all chummy like and the only method of criticism being Bo screaming someone stupid has produced nothing more than 4 losses a year with progressively easier schedules.

agree, a hail mary win and an OT win doesn't suddenly make our staff brilliant.

-SNIP-

Why?

Okay. I'm just perplexed by the idea that new staff = improvement. There are benefits that come with a staff that is familiar with each other. There are benefits that come with a staff that isn't familiar with each other either.

I suppose we have the results with our current staff. And right now, they are 4 losses a season. I guess that makes the perception of new staff = improvement a little more feasible. But still doesn't make it necessarily correct.

We really gotta quit comparing this to the Solich firing. Solich was fired for so much more than wins and losses. There was Carl'esque stuff going on there. Ok, well, maybe not quite THAT bad, but anyway............

Someone on this board stated how giddy Pedersen and some boosters were as Kansas St thrashed us in '09. Ive heard the same, because they had their excuse to cover up the reason for firing. To save the program of embarrassment. Then a couple weeks later, their dissappointment as Nebraska went on the road to Colorado and won, because they knew at that point, the next day was going to be so much tougher.

So it's pretty different situations, unless the audio can be put in that line.

If those changes I mentioned took place you would see an immediate bump in many of our weaknesses. ST and recruiting as well as QB play as a whole. If zero changes are made than we know that Bo isn't really looking at the big picture nor setting us up to compete for a playoff spot in the future. We have enough defensive talent that if Bo would bring in a solid DC he could do what he does best and mold players. The one thing Pelini has always excelled at is coaching a specific group/position. You allow him more time to develop players and less time with Xs and Os on defense. Makes too much sense almost

So you'd hate Pelini less then?

That's really all that matters then...............

I don't agree that changes don't need to be made to this staff, there are plenty of things that could be changed. OC, DC, ST, Strength and Conditioning, etc. I think the order of that goes, ST, OC, S&C, DC.......

Need a new special teams coach, DC and strength and conditioning coach. Not too pleased with the OC but i would give him one more year i think due to all the turn over at QB, WR and o-line. Overall when you put it all together it really comes down to not having an experienced HC and doesn't bode well for Bo's future. He really is overwhelmed i think.

I'm sorry but special teams has been an utter joke since Ross Els arrived. He needs to go back to the MAC. Pelini needs to treat this like a business and make tough decisions that are best for the program and not worry about hurting cocaine carls feelings. I also would like to see us finally can Cotton. Garrison can handle the OL and Fisher can help with TE. Between Garrison and Fisher we can make up for any coaching Cotton can offer. I also want a DC that knows a thing or two. Yeah this is Bo's defense but we at the very least need to bring in someone who is experienced and able to expand Bo's defensive knowledge. Pay Will Muschamp $1 mil a year as DC. Hire a proven QB coach and get Doug Coleman here to replace Els. I could stomach Bo for another season if these types of changes are made

Agree with all of the above.

Pat Smith has been solid but the success of the kicker has almost nothing to do with ST coach competency.

The blocking on return teams and coverage on kick teams are much more indicative. That's where ST coaches make the hay. And while the coverage has been fine, blocking, especially on punts, has been absolutely atrocious this year. Putrid. Westerkamp truly has become Panico... a fair catch machine. Interesting stat on that, Hedley. I didn't know he was averaging less that Panico this year. Poor kid has absolutely nowhere to go once he fields the punt... he literally has 3-5 men breathing down his neck with no blockers in sight. And prior to KB's run to the house yesterday, when's the last time we had a big kickoff return this year? I don't know what Els is teaching as far as blocking, but it's about as useful as poopy-flavored lollipop.

Get a REAL ST's coach.

Beck's propensity for head scratching playcalls has unfortunately carried over into this year. While the PI from our own 1 may have seemed like a stroke of brilliance yesterday, he even admitted that that was all Bo's idea.

How many times after Tommy was knocked out of the game did we lead of with a "zone read" on 1st down that ended up equating to Ron handing off standing still to AA straight up the center's butt yesterday? It was closer to a HB draw. I understand that Ron isn't adept/doesn't have a ton of ZR experience, but if that's the case (and he's never going to keep one to keep the defense honest), find another play to lead off with Beck! I understand feeding your workhorse/best player, and totally agree with it, but for God's sakes, get a little creative when we have a statue QB in the game and find a play that gets Ameer at least a little bit of room!

I think it would suck to move on from Beck because then we'd have to implement a whole new offensive system that may not suit with the current players we have. That is, unless we can hire a coach with previous experience in a similar spread system (looking at you, Frost). On the other hand, if Beck was a great offensive coordinator, why do we still have a systemic issue from the beginning of Bo's reign (we're now in year 6) with fumbles? And why do we still get on here and all scratch our heads and complain about the backassword playcalling during specific points in the game... EVERY WEEK?

S&C leaves a lot to be desired, but I don't feel like it's as pressing as the other two issues. If we clean our turnovers up, we probably win that MSU game. If we aren't a friggin sieve on defense and TMart isn't in the game hurt all game, we win the Minny game. And the UCLA could have gone either way. I think with some better playcalling from Beck, we have a better shot at that one. They're a legit team though. For sure a top 25 team. I feel they're the best of the three.

Point is... none of those losses, IMO, could be chalked up to S&C primarily. But it sure would be better to have the biggest, fastest, best conditioned guys we can to help mitigate the talent gap with some of the teams we're having trouble with and bridge the gap to getting over the hump.

DC is a push for me. I wouldn't be upset at all if Paps was let go and someone with real experience and some cojones to stand up to Bo if needed was brought onboard. But I don't really see Bo going for that... he prefers mostly yes-men or the ol' boys. And at the same time, I feel like the improvement on D has warranted another year sticking around for Paps. I don't care if it's because Bo has taken over playcalling or beefed up his instruction to the players. If it works, do it again next year! We have something on the defensive side of the ball that approximates a BLACKSHIRT defense this year! If it ain't broke don't fix it!

+1 to BRI for the order of things that should be improved. I concur.

At the VERY least Ross els needs to go. Special teams have bee the worst I've ever seen it and it's not helping our offense at all. All season we have been trying to find the right combination at linebacker which is another Els coached unit. You would think after spring ball and non conference play you would have at least a couple of LB positions filled but we had none. He is also the recruiting coordinator which also is under achieving, so I'd say let Els go for sure. Also wouldn't be against replacing the DC too and OC.

Our LBs didn't improve because of Ross Els they improved because Mark "Bo" Pelini worked with them. Our LB play was utter crap at the beginning of the year. Our punt return etc is reason enough for termination. Also you are correct in that our recruiting is not better with Ross Els manning the ship.

Haha, ok. I am glad you know so much about this program, and that Bo is doing all the work with the LB's.

Recruiting hasn't improved??!! LMAO

large.gif

At the VERY least Ross els needs to go. Special teams have bee the worst I've ever seen it and it's not helping our offense at all. All season we have been trying to find the right combination at linebacker which is another Els coached unit. You would think after spring ball and non conference play you would have at least a couple of LB positions filled but we had none. He is also the recruiting coordinator which also is under achieving, so I'd say let Els go for sure. Also wouldn't be against replacing the DC too and OC.

Because we have a young LB group, and you don't know how kids play until they are on the field is Els' fault? Are you kidding me? With such a young group, you don't know how they are going to perform on a regular basis, and its their job to float them around until they get them where they play the best, and honestly they have done JUST that. We have the best LB core we have had in quite a long time. Getting them in their respected position takes time, and I think its pretty set now.

And underperforming... how so? What has this program done in the last decade to make kids WANT to come here? What has this program done to help sell us to these kids? I don't understand why you, Hedley and a few others think its so freaking easy to recruit. Sure it would be nice have a top 10 class, but that isn't going to happen until we win something of significance. We have pulled in some pretty darn good classes so far, and the talent on the field speaks just that.