Sipple: "It would be wrong to break up this staff."

Ulty

It's amazing how people don't learn from history. This program has been in this situation before. Firing Solich is regarded by many as a huge mistake, and yet people are sitting on their couch proclaiming that we should make the same mistake a 2nd time. Sorry, but that sounds ridiculous.

Regarding your paragraph about Callahan... Are you serious?.. He alienated former players, he destroyed the walk-on program, and he tried to implement a pass-first offense. What part of that hire was good? And as far as recruiting, he made promises to players to get them to come here. Yes, he recruited some great players, but the cupboard was not "well-stocked." The team's depth was always a question mark in his tenure. We are much better set for the future right now under Bo.

I think the 'logic' that since we fired a 9-win coach before and that didn't work out well if we fire one again it won't work out well is lacking. I also think the noton that we would have difficulty finding a better replacement is nonsense.

Nebraska is one of the top programs in the country. We have great facilities, incredible fan support, a total commitment from the university and state and a football history that's matched by very few. If we want to, we can open the checkbook and outspend almost any university in the country on a head coach and coaching staff. There are very few coaches in the country that wouldn't see this as a destination job that is head and shoulders above where they are currently.

We can and should be doing better. We should expect more. Pelini and his staff have grossly underperformed. And finding someone who is willing to cme here and confident that he can do better than Pelini has would not be all that difficult. Maybe Pelini turns the corner, figures it all out and becomes the coach this program deserves. But we deserve better than he's given us thus far.

• Fire 2

some people are stating the opinion that it would be objectively ridiculous and that Bo's job stability shouldn't even be questioned. I disagree with that. If Bo stays, they're giving him more chances because they want to, not because they need to.

I know you're referring to me, and that's absolutely not what I'm saying. Bo definitely needs to make some staff changes to keep trying to improve. I love his loyalty to people around him, but when it comes to hiring assistants, it needs to be a business decision. That's probably my biggest issue with Bo, and it's the thing about him that I think is fair to criticize. I also think he gets unfairly ridiculed about a lot of things, such as his media relations, his sideline "antics", and others that I can't pull off the top of my head right now.

Some issues that HAVE to be addressed:

1) special teams. Currently, they are absolutely abysmal - especially punt returns. There is no reason for there to be zero threat of a return while simultaneously showing zero threat of blocking punts. This should be priority #1.

2) ball security. I don't know what the issue is, but something needs to be done to fix it. I know Bo is high on personal accountability, and he needs to apply it to this area. If someone fumbles, they run stairs in the stadium till they puke. I don't care what is done, as long as it is fixed.

3) offensive play calling. I've been one of the primary posters on this board to scream about Beck, and I began doubting him over a year ago when our offense was outstanding. I like the design of our offense, but the play calling makes it less effective than it should be. We need someone calling plays who actually has a good feel for what plays to call in certain situations. I could go on for a long time on this one and bash him about going shotgun on 2nd and goal at the 1, going shotgun all season in short yardage situations, calling that stupid pass play on 3rd down in OT, and a million other mind-numbing play calls.... but I won't right now. The defense has carried us since the Minnesota loss, and they shouldn't have to do that. I'm ready for someone else at OC.

We can and should be doing better. We should expect more. Pelini and his staff have grossly underperformed.

One could argue the exact opposite. This team this season is marred by injuries on offense, and the defense is one of the youngest in the nation, especially in the front 7. You could easily argue that due to these things, this team is overachieving.

I agree that we should be doing better. But if you can't see the progress and the heart of this young group of players, then I can't help you.

You said not everything is equal and Frank showed a "great turnaround" in his sixth year. I agree with you that not everything is equal but for different reasons. Frank had a "great turnaround" but Bo hasn't had that bad of a season to have to turnaround from. And I think we are in a much better position talent wise now than when Frank was fired. Just because Bo's record is similar now to what it was in his second year doesn't mean things aren't improving.

i see. i did not know where you were going with that. and i agree with you. but i was just refuting the idea that it is a bad idea to fire "another 9 win coach" just because it did not work out when we fired frank. frank was much more than just a 9 win coach. but the real disagreement is the idea that we could not hire a worthwhile coach if we fire two "9 win coaches in a decade". and, honestly, hindsight is 20/20, but objectively the callahan hire was a pretty good hire and risk at that time given what we knew.

and again, it is really hard to tell if we are improving or if it is fool's gold from our terrible schedule.

Some issues that HAVE to be addressed:

1) special teams. Currently, they are absolutely abysmal - especially punt returns. There is no reason for there to be zero threat of a return while simultaneously showing zero threat of blocking punts. This should be priority #1.

I think our Special Teams gets lumped together too much based on our horrendous punt returns but other than that, we're actually pretty good. Kickoffs are great (#11 in the country in return yardage allowed). Other than one shaky game, FGs and PATs have been very good. Kick returns started great and have tailed off (until Bell yesterday) but still #22 in the country in average return. Punting has been shaky but better lately. It's mainly the punt return that needs totally re-done.

• Fire 1

some people are stating the opinion that it would be objectively ridiculous and that Bo's job stability shouldn't even be questioned. I disagree with that. If Bo stays, they're giving him more chances because they want to, not because they need to.

I know you're referring to me, and that's absolutely not what I'm saying. ...

Hey Shark -- no, I'm not referring to you at all. :) There have been people who have stated that viewpoint though, which is just one I disagree with. I don't really keep track of who, though :P

As for staff, I kinda feel like this is Bo's staff. He's had all the time in the world to make necessary changes as he sees fit, and he has on several occasions. On Beck though, I like him, a lot, as OC and as a member on this staff period. I would be really bummed to see Beck leave although I understand that if a coaching change occurs, he is most likely not staying around.

We can't afford to fire a 9-win (maybe 8-win) head coach... for the second time... in a decade... Doing so would be idiotic and would set the program back even further.

Edit: Not to mention, in today's landscape of college football, there really isn't a huge difference between a 6-win team and an 11-win team.

I don't want Pelini gone, but I think it's pretty clear Shawn Eichorst is not 100% behind Pelini. If he were, he would have said something, otherwise he's a total idiot. And I don't think that's the case.

And as someone who is responsible for the most important program in the athletic department, and as someone who didn't hire the current coach, he has a vastly different perspective than you or I. I'm not saying that's fair, but it's definitely honest.

I will say this for Nebraska - I think it's silly to scoff at 9 wins because winning 9 games in college football, regardless of how you win, is not easy. I don't care what conference you're in. I'm also impressed that Nebraska is able to win the ugly games. But, I believe there is a very big difference between a six win team and an 11 win team. Take away three plays and Nebraska is 5-6 right now instead of 8-3. And it's not like Nebraska lost a couple of close hard-fought games this year. They've just been outplayed when it mattered most. That's why I say they're closer to being worse than they are to being better.

We can't afford to fire a 9-win (maybe 8-win) head coach... for the second time... in a decade... Doing so would be idiotic and would set the program back even further.

Edit: Not to mention, in today's landscape of college football, there really isn't a huge difference between a 6-win team and an 11-win team.

I don't want Pelini gone, but I think it's pretty clear Shawn Eichorst is not 100% behind Pelini. If he were, he would have said something, otherwise he's a total idiot. And I don't think that's the case.

Agree that he CAN'T be 100% behind him but that doesn't mean he's seriously thinking about getting rid of him either (not that you were saying that).

I know you're referring to me, and that's absolutely not what I'm saying. ...

Hey Shark -- no, I'm not referring to you at all. :) There have been people who have stated that viewpoint though, which is just one I disagree with. I don't really keep track of who, though :P

As for staff, I kinda feel like this is Bo's staff. He's had all the time in the world to make necessary changes as he sees fit, and he has on several occasions. On Beck though, I like him, a lot, as OC and as a member on this staff period. I would be really bummed to see Beck leave although I understand that if a coaching change occurs, he is most likely not staying around.

Maybe I'm ultra-critical of Beck, I admit. But there are SO many play calls that he makes that just leave you scratching your head. That 3rd down play in OT was a perfect example of that. In that situation, run the ball straight forward and try to get a couple yards for your kicker. With a RB like Abdullah, you never know if he will find a crease and pick up the 1st down. It makes absolutely zero sense to call a pass play there and risk a sack that pushes you to the edge of field goal range or even worse, an INT.

In the red zone, he has a horrible tendency to throw the ball too much. Many times, we hand the ball off all the way down the field with great success, get to the red zone, then pass it 3 times and kick. Not only do we pass, but many of those passes are straight drop-backs. This offense (especially when TA is in) should be a run first, run second, run third, and play action pass fourth team. If Beck can figure it out, then I'm fine with keeping him because the design of the offense is all there. Normally, he has a very good scripted first drive that keeps the defense off-balance, then after that point, he's just throwing crap at the wall to see what sticks.

I'll give credit where it is due. Against MSU, it appeared that he put together a very good game plan and we just laid the ball on the turf too much. Against PSU, we probably threw it too much and used the shotgun formation way too much, but aside from a couple of calls, I thought he did what he needed to do to win the game. The defense still carried us, but without the production that we got from the offense, we don't win that game.

I'm sorry but special teams has been an utter joke since Ross Els arrived. He needs to go back to the MAC. Pelini needs to treat this like a business and make tough decisions that are best for the program and not worry about hurting cocaine carls feelings. I also would like to see us finally can Cotton. Garrison can handle the OL and Fisher can help with TE. Between Garrison and Fisher we can make up for any coaching Cotton can offer. I also want a DC that knows a thing or two. Yeah this is Bo's defense but we at the very least need to bring in someone who is experienced and able to expand Bo's defensive knowledge. Pay Will Muschamp $1 mil a year as DC. Hire a proven QB coach and get Doug Coleman here to replace Els. I could stomach Bo for another season if these types of changes are made

So get rid of a coach who has shown GREAT improvement in the LB department and has improved our recruiting? Hmmm....

We need to get rid of Cotton, put a coach who is capable of coaching more than 10 TE's, and give that coach the special teams duty. Brenden Stai would be a GREAT hire for TE/Special Teams, and both of these departments can get quality coaching and not be put on the backburner.

Its sad how someone wants to get rid of a coach who is improving this program. Look at the youth and talent this team has at LB, and all credit is due to Ross Els. Its a shame we put so much on his shoulders, with taking care of 3 important rolls, while some other coaches have it easy.

Tim Beck is also someone who should be shown the door WAY before Ross Els.

Shatel:

What makes a guy like big No. 71, Jeremiah Sirles, put himself back in the lineup a second straight game with a bum knee? It's not the Outback Bowl watch that's coming his way.

“We do it because we are playing for each other,” Sirles said. “You play for legacy. You play because you want to be remembered like this for a long time.”

Maybe, just maybe, there's a member of the 1992 or 1993 Nebraska team who just nodded his head.

“Championship teams get all the credit,” Brown said. “But if you ask them, they'll tell you that it was the guys on the teams before, in 1992 and 1993, who built it. They set up the culture that turned into a championship.

“We are not going to win the Big Ten championship. But this team is building something. This team has a lot of young guys who are maturing into a team right before our eyes.

“I think we're setting the stage for something special, to be honest with you.”

That sounds like a sales pitch directed to the ears of an athletic director. But Brown, who has worn championship rings and was also fired on Frank Solich's staff 10 years ago, speaks from the heart. He says what he believes.

The Huskers turned it over five times to Michigan State. They were listless at Minnesota. It's not all youth. When NU Athletic Director Shawn Eichorst makes his evaluation after the season, there's a big picture to consider, and that means the good, bad and ugly.

But if you're Eichorst, and you see a team that refuses to fold, a team with every reason to not show up for this one but showed up big, you have to ask yourself one question.

What if Brown is right?