Sipple: "It would be wrong to break up this staff."

Ulty

http://journalstar.com/sports/columnists/sipple/steven-m-sipple-pelini-s-right-something-special-is-going/article_7cdf0536-f34a-5818-8f38-26cb1ba336a1.html

I'm elated with the win against Penn State and have come back around to realizing that Bo deserves to stay, after having been down on the idea for much of the season. But I think perhaps Sipple is a little too caught up in the moment if he thinks no staff changes at all need to occur after the season.

Bottom line, it would be wrong to break up this staff. To break up this team. It would be dead wrong to pull the rug from underneath a program that shows so much promise — at least when it's not stubbing its toe with a turnover or mental mistake.

Granted, it's not exactly the Denver Broncos.

However, after this triumph — despite all of Nebraska's injuries and pervasive negativity swirling around the program — it would seem almost criminal to fire anybody associated with the program.

With this roller coaster of a season (again), how would you guys feel if we go into next season without making any changes at all?

I do not doubt for a minute that this group will be special. What is perplexing is how we got here in the first place. If recruiting was as good as we were told the last five years at the signing presser, than youth would not be an issue. There would be plenty of veterans stepping up/in. Strength and conditioning is a whole topic on itself. I get this is a violent game and injuries happen. What we have pieced together for these last couple of games is nothing short of miraculous. But, how did we get to this point? And who have we really beaten?...A break up is much needed here.

I'm sorry but special teams has been an utter joke since Ross Els arrived. He needs to go back to the MAC. Pelini needs to treat this like a business and make tough decisions that are best for the program and not worry about hurting cocaine carls feelings. I also would like to see us finally can Cotton. Garrison can handle the OL and Fisher can help with TE. Between Garrison and Fisher we can make up for any coaching Cotton can offer. I also want a DC that knows a thing or two. Yeah this is Bo's defense but we at the very least need to bring in someone who is experienced and able to expand Bo's defensive knowledge. Pay Will Muschamp $1 mil a year as DC. Hire a proven QB coach and get Doug Coleman here to replace Els. I could stomach Bo for another season if these types of changes are made

I'm sorry but special teams has been an utter joke since Ross Els arrived. He needs to go back to the MAC. Pelini needs to treat this like a business and make tough decisions that are best for the program and not worry about hurting cocaine carls feelings. I also would like to see us finally can Cotton. Garrison can handle the OL and Fisher can help with TE. Between Garrison and Fisher we can make up for any coaching Cotton can offer. I also want a DC that knows a thing or two. Yeah this is Bo's defense but we at the very least need to bring in someone who is experienced and able to expand Bo's defensive knowledge. Pay Will Muschamp $1 mil a year as DC. Hire a proven QB coach and get Doug Coleman here to replace Els. I could stomach Bo for another season if these types of changes are made

Good post and agreed about special teams. At the Big Red Breakfast on Friday, it was indicated that special teams is and will be getting a hard look. Pelini is not going to be able to please everyone with staff hires, especially those who have a history with Nebraska like Cotton or Coleman. Pelini seems to have made an excellent decision with Garrison. The production of our OL and the depth that has been developed is very good. Pelini has been far from perfect in his first five seasons, but he's made some moves with the coaching staff.....such as Garrison and Fisher.....that have gone very well.

I've definitely cooled on Beck this year. Wouldn't be too upset if he took a C-USA HC job, or something. If that sort of thing would still be plausible, that is.

He is looking for that type of job, so if he is here next year it won't be from lack of trying. Pop is pretty much gone as is Gantz. As stated above it would really be nice to finally get rid of Barney, he has never been anything other than dead weight.

You'd have to stomach Bo for a lot longer than a year if he replaces some staff