What will it take to beat Iowa?

ladyhawke

When I said less then it took in Happy Valley that's exactly what I meant. We were playing in bad weather in a very hostile charged atmosphere and had turnovers that amounted to a 14 point swing in the game. There was a lot of stuff to overcome in that game.

That's what I meant by the Happy Valley statement. It's not as easy as comparing teams on paper in a vacuum.

Personally, I've seen enough of Iowa this year that I don't see as big a threat on our field unless we hand the ball over again this week. Obviously if we do, don't plan on getting a jump on traffic because it will go to the end.

Lincoln Friday forecast will be sunny, upper thirties at kickoff time and 10-14 mph winds.

Iowa is very much like PSU in there style of play. Good running team with a bruising back, though I don't think as good as Zwinick. Their qb is nodt as good IMO as Hackenburg.

I think there defense is better than PSU. They are a good solid team nothing fancy but you better come to play.

I feel like Iowa will attack us like penn state and minnesota this year. Lots of runs up the middle by their heavy RB with a QB who will challenge us through the air. Their offense could surprise us. Their defense is good, similar to michigan state and penn state, so that shouldn't surprise us

We should pull out a win if we: Commit no TOs, get the run game going, and stop the run/force them to pass. Wouldnt mind seeing an armstrong/kellogg rotation also

IOWA 2013 OVERALL FBS RANKINGS

PASSING YARDS 207.2 86th Overall

RUSHING YARDS 191.5 43rd Overall

POINTS FOR 26.4 79th Overall

POINTS AGAINST 18.9 13th Overall

It should play out similar to the Penn State game, power running and play action/bootleg passing. If our defense keeps up the fairly good play we should win, excluding a turnover meltdown by our offense.

As already mentioned, their offensive styles are very similar. First-year quarterbacks both showing potential with very similar stats (QBR of 128.1 for Rudock, 127.8 for Hackenberg). Both have solid offensive lines and good bruising backs. Both love the bootleg and like to utilize the tight ends in the passing game.

The advantage PSU has is the big-time receiver (Robinson). Iowa doesn't have one. All eight or nine WRs combined have barely more yards than Robinson. Damond Powell is the only home run threat. They don't throw to him much (maybe their Jamal Turner).

The advantage Iowa has is its scoring defense. They bend but very rarely break. 13th in the country.

Rudock can throw a nice ball but he also has his share of boneheaded picks. They do not have a home run threat on the ground. Weisman's longest run in 184 carries is 37. Bullock's in 112 carries is 22.

Iowa is average in rushing defense, but they really tighten up in the redzone. They have only given up 4 rushing touchdowns in the redzone all season. That's top five in the country. Their pass defense is great (#10). Linebackers are good in pass D and their whole secondary is solid.

Iowa is ranked higher than us in all the computer ratings I follow. But Nebraska is a three-point favorite.

On offense, my keys would be:

• Run Ameer, a lot. And I would try a lot more downhill (pistol or under center formations) and off-tackle stuff. The shotgun up-the-middle stuff will work about as well as it did against Penn St.
  • Keep Kellogg's passes safe. Avoid linebackers in coverage as Morris and Hitchens are both major playmakers. Maybe dust off the halfback screen.
  • Take a few shots deep down the sideline off play-action. 1st and 10 or 2nd and short are great opportunities.
  • I would not run the option with Kellogg. Too much risk for catastrophe against those linebackers.
  • No fumbles. I can dream.
  • Get creative in the redzone. Pull out a reverse or halfback pass.

On defense:

• Pressure Rudock and force at least one interception
  • Hold Weisman to under 4 ypc
  • Contain the play-action bootleg
  • Keep a close eye on Powell. He is the only home run threat.

Special teams:

• Honestly, I would not field punts. Wind and cold and Westerkamp looks too shaky out there. The risk/reward is too high. If there's a big special teams blunder, let Iowa make it.

• Fire 1
I agree. We take this game lightly and it will be Minny all over again. Iowa beat Minnesota -We didn't. I think this is going to be a tough game. The Heroes Game will finally be worth watching.

And Michigan destroyed Minny iirc. Comparing common opponents on paper is rarely as helpful as you think. Every game has its own set of circumstances. Do you think the Nebraska team that went into Michigan and ended a 19 game home winning streak loses to Minny? Different day, different circumstances different outcome.

Nebraska isn't good enough to beat anyone if they take them lightly. But Iowa can't beat our best effort on our field IMO

My point was that we can't take this game lightly. We did that with Minnesota. Iowa obviously did not when the player Minny. We have to be ready.

And my point is this Nebraska team isn't good enough to take Coastal Carolina lightly let alone Iowa. I'm just assuming with everything swirling around the program, and the players speaking up in support of their coach AND it being senior day that the idea that they are taking anyone lightly after the Minn debacle is far fetched. Some fans may be, but the team is not I assure you.

It won't take a special effort to beat the Hawkeyes. Just play to our strengths and don't hand the ball over to them. That's it. Even with the injuries we are more talented all over the field except Oline at this point. Their skill position players wouldn't crack our depth chart except at QB maybe.

When you asked in the thread title what it would take to beat Iowa, I just assumed it was understood we had to show up to play and that that didn't need to be said.

The whole "just show up" thing doesn't work in college football anymore regardless of who you are or your opponent. Just ask Florida.

They were neck and neck with Ohio St. until the 4th quarter. Keep Ron in there and hope for the best.

Each team was able to hang with the best opponent on their schedule. We seemed to be able to move the ball well on what was considered one of the best defenses in the country. We take care of the ball and pound the rock like we are able to and we win.