Coaches & Media Criticism

Atbone95

Bo needs to embrace the fans whether he wants to or not. Without the fans there is no football program.

I was ready for Bo to be gone but will get behind him if he shows even a little appreciation and ends the "us against them" mentality.

Seriously? Do you even read the sports or watch sports TV or come to a board and read the topics. Show a little appreciation, why. There are more negative articles, more news reports and certainly more social media (including message boards), from home state press than there are ones of support.

Not to mention the "comments" section with all the negative Nancy's and Debbie downers talking about the 90s like it's as easy to replicate as following directions to baking a cake.

Also, to the poster that says Facebook ISN'T media, yes it is. It is another MEDIUM for news, updates, comments, etc.

I like Bo but I have to agree I wish he could embrace the fan base more. I think he has been trying with all the videos they did this year but I wish he would be real with Husker fans and even his players for that matter. These players need to know that the 90+ thousand that show up to games aren't there to spite them. They are there because they support them! We all in this thing together, now let's go and get this thing figured out! A bowl win, I believe, would go a long way for the whole Husker nation.

Re the OP, Bo *should* be able to respond to the media. Or for that matter, address anything that affects NU football. I don't know of any reason why he can't respond.

As for the media and fans, it would help things out if Bo would improve his relations in both these areas. He sometimes seems to have an us against them approach in dealing with both the fans and the media. The players seem to love him. It wouldn't take much of an effort on his part to improve fan/media relations as well.

• Fire 1

A lot of you have good points but it seems to me that more than a few of you are still a little butt-hurt that Bo made that one statement about our "Fans" the fact that he was right doesn't seem to matter- if you leave before the game is complete you deserve to be called out, I think his comments were pretty mild

You hit the nail on the head. Bo needs to find a way to stop the us against the world. I can see why it is difficult with negative social media he probably spends time each week helping a player one on one deal with negative comments (some real nasty) and that is why the players support him so strongly. As they see it, it probably feels like us against them, but Bo needs to come to grips with this issue and find a positive method to deal with it. Bo needs to know it isn't his team, it is Nebraska's team.

• Fire 1

People just have to stop taking what's being said so seriously. Coaches, media , fans all taking things so personal when those things are being said By people who don't even know them personally. I know I'm on the soap box right now, but really, we don't know what any of us face in our day to day lives. Bo, and these players, have a lot on their plates. Still, they are the ones living it, my opinion nor anyone elses should really matter that much. I mean, situation reversed, I can tell you I don't give a sh#t what Bo or Kenny Bell or anyone else think of me or how I live my life. I certainly wouldn't let it affect how I approach my day.

Maybe, when it comes to Bo, if people kind of got a glimpse of his human side a bit more, they might see how words can eventually build up and cause a reaction. Everybody's human and there's only so much people can take, but I view myself in almost the same way. I'm kind of a stonewall person, you won't know what you're doing is bothering me until I've just plain had enough of it, then I lose composure. We have no idea how much, but I'm sure Bo hears and sees 100 times more than we know. Plus the guy has family that probably nears it too.

I'm not condoning his reactions, but I can understand them. Words can hurt, especially when people we care about are hearing them. I think we just have to stop acknowledging so much of it. Fans will be fans, coaches should coach, and players should play. The rest is just outside noise.

• Fire 2

People just have to stop taking what's being said so seriously. Coaches, media , fans all taking things so personal when those things are being said By people who don't even know them personally. I know I'm on the soap box right now, but really, we don't know what any of us face in our day to day lives. Bo, and these players, have a lot on their plates. Still, they are the ones living it, my opinion nor anyone elses should really matter that much. I mean, situation reversed, I can tell you I don't give a sh#t what Bo or Kenny Bell or anyone else think of me or how I live my life. I certainly wouldn't let it affect how I approach my day.

Maybe, when it comes to Bo, if people kind of got a glimpse of his human side a bit more, they might see how words can eventually build up and cause a reaction. Everybody's human and there's only so much people can take, but I view myself in almost the same way. I'm kind of a stonewall person, you won't know what you're doing is bothering me until I've just plain had enough of it, then I lose composure. We have no idea how much, but I'm sure Bo hears and sees 100 times more than we know. Plus the guy has family that probably nears it too.

I'm not condoning his reactions, but I can understand them. Words can hurt, especially when people we care about are hearing them. I think we just have to stop acknowledging so much of it. Fans will be fans, coaches should coach, and players should play. The rest is just outside noise.

Agreed plus one good sir

I just think he makes it into a bigger deal than it isand it kind of goes against his old "we need to worry about us" mantra

Until it gets so big that these kids can't even worry about themselves anymore. They show up to practice looking to see which coach is missing because the papers have been saying someone's getting fired for weeks.

And what does a situation like that do to recruiting? Kids don't want to walk into that. This Husker fanbase wants this team to do so well when we're f'ing destroying it from the inside out, and it's bullsh#t.

I don't know how many +s you should get for this post but it I hope it's more then 1

• Fire 2

A lot of you have good points but it seems to me that more than a few of you are still a little butt-hurt that Bo made that one statement about our "Fans" the fact that he was right doesn't seem to matter- if you leave before the game is complete you deserve to be called out, I think his comments were pretty mild

This sediment is hilarious hearing from a fan base that crucified Callahan for the throat slash and the "fing hillbilly" comment in Norman. Now Bo literally tells those same people to f*** off and it is ok. Oh the hypocrisy.

(This isn’t directed at the poster directly, just the fan base in general.)

You hit the nail on the head. Bo needs to find a way to stop the us against the world. I can see why it is difficult with negative social media he probably spends time each week helping a player one on one deal with negative comments (some real nasty) and that is why the players support him so strongly. As they see it, it probably feels like us against them, but Bo needs to come to grips with this issue and find a positive method to deal with it. Bo needs to know it isn't his team, it is Nebraska's team.

He needs to realize that he represents more than himself as he is the face of the university and state and what he did was totally unacceptable. A little professionalism would go a long way.

• Fire 1

Eichorst is a new AD so he gets a break, but a little more clarity from the head office would've put down the revolutionaries of the internet who seem to think their participation on a chat board gives them the authority to run the team through the local sports reporters who are too lazy to think of their own ideas. These boards are just a place to yell at your friends and nothing more.

This sediment is hilarious hearing from a fan base that crucified Callahan for the throat slash and the "fing hillbilly" comment in Norman. Now Bo literally tells those same people to f*** off and it is ok. Oh the hypocrisy.

Don't think this was the same situation. Callahan made the throat slash at the referee and called the Oklahoma fans hillbillies.

He needs to realize that he represents more than himself as he is the face of the university and state and what he did was totally unacceptable. A little professionalism would go a long way.

Unprofessional? By calling out the zebras for not picking up a flag on a non catch-able pass or calling out the 3 OWH reports that asked the same question about his job status. Or the reporter at halftime that asked "How do you feel about those 2 interception".

• Fire 1

Don't think this was the same situation. Callahan made the throat slash at the referee and called the Oklahoma fans hillbillies.

Unprofessional? By calling out the zebras for not picking up a flag on a non catch-able pass or calling out the 3 OWH reports that asked the same question about his job status. Or the reporter at halftime that asked "How do you feel about those 2 interception".

By unprofessional I meant how he deals with the media. The sideline tantrum just gives the country more reason to laugh at the program when you add it to how poorly he deals with the media.

• Fire 1